Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAPPY EASTER TO ALL IT APLIES TO

I have another tire question
what tires are for what , they MUST have there own specific use .
the reason I ask is last year with a 455 I was York raking with the same rake and was very impressed with my traction with turf tires on dirt ( of course )
this year I put the same rake on my 1026 with r4 tires and seem to have less traction does that make any sense ??????
thank you :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your 1026 should have more grunt than the 455. 1026 is a heavier machine. Hard to compare unless under the exact ground conditions. Turf tires are designed specifically for use on grass lawns. R4 tires are more of an industrial tire that are considered tougher than the turf tire. I'm not a tire blowie so I won't say one is better than the other based on nothing.:greentractorride::usa

·
Registered
715 Posts
You're expecting a valid comparison without controlling any of the variables. If you want to know if it is the tires, then put R4s on the 455 and repeat your test. If you want to know if it's the tractor, then put R3s on the 1026 and repeat.

Al

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
From what I understand, the R4s are better for dirt work. I would assume loose dirt. The R3s are designed for lawn, but work better than R4s in snow and would assume the same for hard pack dirt, concrete and asphalt.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Ag tires (R1s) are made to play in the mud. Heavy deep lugs to channel through mud and water and clean themselves out as they rotate. Those same lugs tend to tear up turf.

Turf tire (R3s) are made for just that , turf. They are usually flat across the tread and are designed not to tear up turf when turning and such.

Industrial tires (R4s) are a compromise between R1s and R3s. They have some lug but not as aggressive as R1s. But they also tend to have heavier, wider lugs that do better over large rocks, tree stumps, etc.. They are usually more puncture resistant than R3s. You can also get them with much heavier weight ratings and, in some cases, even solid tires.

I'd compare R3s and R4s to summer/highway and winter/snow tires on your car. The tread itself isn't the only factor at play. They also use different rubber compounds that affect traction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tires

Ag tires (R1s) are made to play in the mud. Heavy deep lugs to channel through mud and water and clean themselves out as they rotate. Those same lugs tend to tear up turf.

Turf tire (R3s) are made for just that , turf. They are usually flat across the tread and are designed not to tear up turf when turning and such.

Industrial tires (R4s) are a compromise between R1s and R3s. They have some lug but not as aggressive as R1s. But they also tend to have heavier, wider lugs that do better over large rocks, tree stumps, etc.. They are usually more puncture resistant than R3s. You can also get them with much heavier weight ratings and, in some cases, even solid tires.

I'd compare R3s and R4s to summer/highway and winter/snow tires on your car. The tread itself isn't the only factor at play. They also use different rubber compounds that affect traction.
thank you that's what I wanted to know you answered my question
this site never lets me down
:bigthumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts