Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jethro had a blow-out today. It was not a pretty sight, but at least I didn't total him, unlike my poor SUV recently. So, I've been shopping Amazon for a set of 4 new tires. I know the sizes I need, but can't decide which brand to buy (Carlisle, Marastar, or Antego). Also, I plan to lift Jethro with my car floor jack (swapping out one wheel at a time). Where do I place it under him (front and rear) and how do I remove the center caps (can't get 'em to pull off and don't wanna break a nail, heaven forbid)? :dunno:

P.S.: Jethro is an L118A

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Jethro had a blow-out today. It was not a pretty sight, but at least I didn't total him, unlike my poor SUV recently. So, I've been shopping Amazon for a set of 4 new tires. I know the sizes I need, but can't decide which brand to buy (Carlisle, Marastar, or Antego). Also, I plan to lift Jethro with my car floor jack (swapping out one wheel at a time). Where do I place it under him (front and rear) and how do I remove the center caps (can't get 'em to pull off and don't wanna break a nail, heaven forbid)? :dunno:

P.S.: Jethro is an L118A
Carlisle has always been a good brand to me, just my opinion. Never heard of the others.

The center caps usually push back through when the wheel is off. I am not familiar with a L118A but most car or other center caps have a lip that is captured between the hub and rim. The owners manual should say where to jack from but in the back I would use the frame and access the frame from the back. Jack on the same side as the wheel. In the front use the front axle if possible.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The back tires won't be bad to change,the fronts can be a bugger.Breaking the bead is one part.I used a couple of C clamps to break the bead.You may have to take them to a shop if you don't have a good compressor to seat the new ones.
As for the caps they should just pull off with a little twisting.Get new valve stems too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Find solid steel to lift

The back tires won't be bad to change,the fronts can be a bugger.Breaking the bead is one part.I used a couple of C clamps to break the bead.You may have to take them to a shop if you don't have a good compressor to seat the new ones.
As for the caps they should just pull off with a little twisting.Get new valve stems too.
You always want to find something as thick and solid as possible as a lift point. There's nothing worse than trying to fix one problem and causing another by crinkling sheet metal because it wasn't strong enough to be a lift point.

I'll second the above posts about a lawn mower tire being a pita to change. I'd much rather change a larger tire than a lawnmower tire. The last one I had to change, I took it to a shop and they couldn't get it seated. I felt sorry for them after they fought it for too long so I brought it home and used multiple ratchet straps to get the bead to seat. I was pretty close to filling up the tire with propane and torching it off but didn't have to do that.

Unless you are just dead set on doing it yourself, I'd take it to a tire shop and let them change the tire. They have the tool to pull the new valve stem through, a blast tank which hopefully will seat the bead and in most cases can do it more quickly and easily than you can.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Why use such an aggressive tire on a D160??
I have a hill in my side yard that is about a 35 degree slope and it's covered in moss. The turf treads that came on the machine just spin if I try to go up that hill. I looked for HDAPs for over a year but apparently the D160 uses an odd-ball tire size (22x9.5-12) and those were the only other tires I could find that would fit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a hill in my side yard that is about a 35 degree slope and it's covered in moss. The turf treads that came on the machine just spin if I try to go up that hill. I looked for HDAPs for over a year but apparently the D160 uses an odd-ball tire size (22x9.5-12) and those were the only other tires I could find that would fit.

I’d be looking to trade it that D160- relatively soon. A 35 degree slope is very dicey long term for a k46 tranny. And the turf tires sort of protected you, they broke traction before you could harm the K46- with aggressive tires, traction won’t be broken as easily, putting tremendous strain on your tranny. A steep slope and aggressive tires is not a good recipe for a K46

Get something with at least a K58, if not more

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys! Luckily, I won't be messing with beads or valve stems because I'm buying a full set of tire assemblies. Yup, we're talking easy peasy. I'm still recovering from my injuries in the car wreck, so I can't put any excess pressure on my upper-body anyway. The best part is that now I won't have to scrub my old wheels to get them clean. :laugh:

Oh, I forgot to ask whether my wheels are centered or offset. If offset, by how much? Also, I just ordered new dust caps in case I have to tin-snip my old ones off. Other than snap rings (none in stock), is there anything else I should buy for my new tire/wheel install?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[Are] my wheels are centered or offset[?]. If offset, by how much?
The front wheels have a 3” offset and the rear wheels have a 3.5” offset. All have a 3/4" bore.

Other than snap rings (none in stock), is there anything else I should buy for my new tire/wheel install?
Just grease and tools, which you already have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The front wheels have a 3” offset and the rear wheels have a 3.5” offset. All have a 3/4" bore.

Just grease and tools, which you already have.
Thank you, Tractor Barbie. :mocking:

Thank you, Tractor Barbie. :mocking:
Now there is something you don't see very often, Asked and Answered.......by the same member, for the same member. Just be careful and avoid any arguments with yourself as that could be troublesome......and painful. (Think Jim Carey in "Liar, Liar"):laugh::lol:

Hope you recover from your injuries. Just don't do any of this.........:lolol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts