Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various tooth bars & would like your opinion. Pirahna, ratchet rake, or one of the tooth type's. 1026 with 49" bucket.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I'll be watching this one too, I would like a tooth bar for my 1026. I do know that a rachet rake is intended for a different application than a tooth bar, it is more of a rake bar and not intended for digging, at least that is what I understand of them.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Yes, the RR is not really meant for digging like a toothbar is.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
When I break down and purchase one, it'll probably be the W.R.Long flat bottom tooth bar. It's relatively lightweight and flat on the bottom for smooth back-dragging. The teeth are replaceable as well. My JD dealer can get me one custom built and shipped for under $300.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I break down and purchase one, it'll probably be the W.R.Long flat bottom tooth bar. It's relatively lightweight and flat on the bottom for smooth back-dragging. The teeth are replaceable as well. My JD dealer can get me one custom built and shipped for under $300.
I do like the looks of that one. Most of the tooth bars that I have seen have a strap between the teeth on the top which makes the dirt stick in the bucket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been looking at various tooth bars & would like your opinion. Pirahna, ratchet rake, or one of the tooth type's. 1026 with 49" bucket.
I bought the Piranha tooth bar, total cost including shipping was right at $300.00. I have the 49 inch bucket and have used the bar extensively over the last two weeks moving dirt, shallow digging in clay and relocating 30 tons of number 5 gravel. I have been very pleased with the product and would recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Does anyone know of a toothbar that is made to fit over the replaceable/bolt on cutting edge?
I really don't like the idea of having to remove my edge everytime I want to use the bar.

Greg

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Piranha on 300 loader with 61" bucket

A couple of weeks ago, I bit the bullet and ordered a Piranha bar for my loader bucket. It came well packaged and installation was pretty simple.

IMAG0524.jpg New in Box

IMAG0525.jpg Dang, no wonder that box was heavy!

IMAG0523.jpg Didn't follow directions as the bucket was not on the tractor or where I had electricals running around. It would be easier to mount while on the tractor as per instructions, particularly as the bucket and bar are heavy to move.

IMAG0527.jpg I guess that's where the hole goes.

IMAG0529.jpg Glad I got a bolt in before it fell on my foot.

IMAG0528.jpg It works just as good as it looks!

Update- I'm pleased with the bar so far. It does pretty well moving small brush and bushes by just sliding it along the ground. I was real excited to find out it will grab into alanthus trees (Tree of Heaven) so that I can hit a tree up high and push it over, then turn the bucket down and pull the entire rootball out of soft ground. The only downside is it really makes me wish I had more hydraulics on the 790 as the relief valve was getting a workout when playing with the bar and trees. (shim kit is on order)

Treefarmer

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been using my Piranha for the past 2 years and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just ordered my piranha bar yesterday. Can't wait to get it installed and get after some scrub brush and start the site work for a new barn!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Piranha bar. I had it on two tractors and it's the only tooth bar for me.:good2:

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Piranha here as well.

Just remember to keep the bucket down when not in use.... They bite shins, ankles, or anything that comes close to them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a Piranha on my 1025r and really like it. It bites into a pile of dirt much easier than the plain bucket did.

DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION. It does not need a 3/4 inch hole for the bolt.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have and like the piranha but have no experience with the genuine tooth style bar. I feel the piranha is excellent for brush, helps get extra fill with loose materials and only helped hard ground penetration a little. I would guess a real tooth bar would be better for hard ground penetration but not much help with anything else. What are you going to do more of?

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Piranha has done everything I ask it to. Ripping up saplings and brush to digging in gravel. You can't see it very well but it ripped that brush out.

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Nailed it

I have and like the piranha but have no experience with the genuine tooth style bar. I feel the piranha is excellent for brush, helps get extra fill with loose materials and only helped hard ground penetration a little. I would guess a real tooth bar would be better for hard ground penetration but not much help with anything else. What are you going to do more of?
I had to dig just a bit today and agree the Piranha was only a small improvement while digging into undisturbed soil. I think it did help but I didn't go "Wow, what a difference". I am really pleased with using it on brush and trees where I doubt a regular tooth bar would do much good. I'm very satisfied with the purchase so far.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
523 Posts
I haven't heard anything from the Heavy Hitch toothbar owners. The split point design seems like it would be good for brush and the reduced area at the points would provide better ground penetration. Making some assumptions, tho.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's interesting to hear some of the piranha reviews. Most I've read were more of the "wow, I can't believe how well this digs". Still sounds like a useful addition.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 20 of 38 Posts