Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I ran a few numbers with respect to ground penetration, with some broad assumptions:

1. Assume the Tractor can provide 500# of forward force prior to losing tire grip. (wild guess, but it's a number)

2. Assume a 53" bucket and the edge after initial engagement is 1/2" thick. 500#/(53"x.5")=19 psi

3. Assume the Piranha bar has 7 forward "teeth", each 2" wide and again 1/2" thick. 500#/(7x2"x1/2")=71 psi

4. Assume a standard toothbar with 5 teeth, 3" wide x 1/2" thick. 500#/(5x3"x1/2")=66 psi

5. Assume Heavy Hitch split points have 7 teeth x 2 for the split. Figure 1/2" square after engagement. 500#/(14x1/2"x1/2")=142 psi

Now while my force assumption is arbitrary, my "frontal area" assumption may be way off but very critical to the analysis. Given I don't have any of these except the bucket, it still looks like the split point design provides a greater penetration potential than the other designs.

And again, I may be way off.....

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Another thing unique with the Heavy Hitch toothbar is you do not have to drill any holes in your bucket!:bigthumb: You also have the ability to change teeth with a multitude of different options allowing you to tailor the bar to the conditions it will be used in. While the Twin Tiger teeth are the most popular, by simply popping out a pin, you can change the tooth to something else. The reason we use the Twin Tiger teeth is illustrated in FredHickory's post. The teeth were designed to be used in frozen ground to help the equipment penetrate and dig rock hard ground. We use the popular Pengo 230 shank so the teeth can be purchased at many equipment dealers locally.
Automotive exterior Bumper Bumper part Vehicle

Green Automotive exterior Bumper Fender

·
Registered
525 Posts
I talked myself into the Heavy Hitch Toothbar. Just ordered it, so I will post later during install and use.

·
Premium Member
13,895 Posts
I ran a few numbers with respect to ground penetration, with some broad assumptions:

1. Assume the Tractor can provide 500# of forward force prior to losing tire grip. (wild guess, but it's a number)

2. Assume a 53" bucket and the edge after initial engagement is 1/2" thick. 500#/(53"x.5")=19 psi

3. Assume the Piranha bar has 7 forward "teeth", each 2" wide and again 1/2" thick. 500#/(7x2"x1/2")=71 psi

4. Assume a standard toothbar with 5 teeth, 3" wide x 1/2" thick. 500#/(5x3"x1/2")=66 psi

5. Assume Heavy Hitch split points have 7 teeth x 2 for the split. Figure 1/2" square after engagement. 500#/(14x1/2"x1/2")=142 psi

Now while my force assumption is arbitrary, my "frontal area" assumption may be way off but very critical to the analysis. Given I don't have any of these except the bucket, it still looks like the split point design provides a greater penetration potential than the other designs.

And again, I may be way off.....
Since the teeth are pointed you would have to calculate the force at the point of the tooth.

All of the teeth, either Piranha or typical toothbars, are sloped or sharpened to an edge, again making a smaller contact area at the point of penetration.

I think either will penetrate to the depth of the tooth very well. After that, it will take weight and power to continue to penetrate.

For digging, a typical toothbar design is likely the best. Hence, why they are used on most digging buckets. For clearing, I don't think the typical toothbar adds much.

I think it would be interesting to see a test with the same tractor/loader/bucket, same dirt, same operator, which one would "dig" the best. Especially on a SCUT sized tractor.

I do like the no drill attachment of the HH bar. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Marlin and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
13,895 Posts
I talked myself into the Heavy Hitch Toothbar. Just ordered it, so I will post later during install and use.
Interested to hear how it works. Remember, Pictures are required!

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I've been looking at an A.I.M. toothbar

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4 Posts
What model tooth bars go over the bolt on edge?

I'm new to the site and haven't figured out the search functions yet ... But I will!

In the meantime, I'm looking for guidance on the best choice for a tooth bar to go over the removable bolt on edge of the bucket.... I really don't want to remove the edge just to mount a tooth bar.

I see that poster number 7 in this thread asked the same question in 2012, but I did not see any responses.

If this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize for asking again ....but as noted, I'm still learning the search thing.

Thanks for your help and time!

Jim Verderese

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm new to the site and haven't figured out the search functions yet ... But I will!

In the meantime, I'm looking for guidance on the best choice for a tooth bar to go over the removable bolt on edge of the bucket.... I really don't want to remove the edge just to mount a tooth bar.

I see that poster number 7 in this thread asked the same question in 2012, but I did not see any responses.

If this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize for asking again ....but as noted, I'm still learning the search thing.

Jim Verderese
Which Tractor or bucket do you have that has a removable edge?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4 Posts
FredHickory

It is a Deere 4410 with the 50 inch heavy duty bucket. The HD bucket has various reinforcements on it and is delivered with an installed reversible bolt on cutting edge that is under the leading edge of the bucket.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
What tooth bar is best on a 61" heavy duty bucket? I am having trouble finding a decent one.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts

Jim Verderese
Jim,
I think we can make something that will work for you. PM if you are interested.:good2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had BXpanded build one for my HD, they didn't charge any extra for going over the bolt on edge. I've had it for a while and been happy with it, I think someone had some pictures of one earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aaronmach1 --- I was mistaken as to width on the Deere heavy duty bucket.... It is 62 inches, not the 50 that I quoted above. I guess that's why we are supposed to measure twice!

Greg -- PM sent to HeavyHitch

OldNGreen --- thanks for the reply re BXpander ... I haven't investigated that option yet.

Still looking. Thanks all.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,473 Posts
$395 out the door at my local dealer for a 49" W.R. Long Tooth Bar sound about right? I thought it would be more like $295 but there is shipping on it.

I'll be using this more for digging than cutting like a Piranha would do. Have a lot of rocks to pop up.

EDIT: Ended up reading all the threads and bought a Piranha as it was $100 cheaper. This isn't something I'll need that much...Need it for a specific job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can anyone tell me what he brand Tooth Bar is on my 3046R

21 - 40 of 40 Posts