Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of replacement for home use. My Epson NX 430 wireless, never in my opinion worked wireless that well, sometimes not connecting. Now with printing problems, such as a page copy on the scanner takes forever. If a color cartridge goes empty no printing is allowed, even black.

So started researching other brands and models. Can't believe printer reviews that are posted. Would be easier to buy a new tractor than a printer. Looked into a wireless HP Envy 5660 e all in one model. All the reviews are wonderful. Too good to be true.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this product. Or what printer is not horrible on ink consumption. Is reliable with dependable wireless connection, good easy to use features. It doesn't need to also bake bread.what are you using you could recommend. Thanks, dan

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
I went with a wireless laser printer for my everyday printing tasks. I used to use my photo printer but chewed up too much ink just for printing off pages from the internet and stuff. Our cheapie Brother laser printer is used everyday - my wife prints shipping labels and packing lists plus other stuff every day and the toner lasts just about 2 years.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a Brother 4 in 1 wireless color laser printer. Have been happy for 5 years with it and I buy aftermarket toner cartridges.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
We just bought the HP 5660. It was super easy to setup and use. For only having it a few days, I'd give it a :good2: review.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I have a Cannon MP495. It works well enough for a home printer but I wouldn't recommend it for heavier office type use. Never had any problems with it connecting to the house wireless network and ink seems to be a little bit cheaper than other brands I've owned.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
We have the Canon MG6220 wireless. Not a bad home printer, it connects okay but I think it really has to be next to the router if possible which this one is. It also will shut down if one ink cartridge is empty, kind of a pain but I think most of them are like that. Ink is expensive but they all are I think.

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
HP3050 All-in-one. 5 years, no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
We have a HP office jet 8000. I got it for several reasons.

1. It duplexes, which saves on paper.

2. It has a wired Internet as well as wireless.

I find a wired connection has better reliability to wireless. We have a wireless cannon that is about pointless. If you want to print you have to physically turn the printer on first. With the HP on a wired network by the time I get to the printer it is done printing.

One other tip is to use a static IP address for the printer either by setting it in the printer or using the MAC address and DHCP to assign the same IP all of the time.

If I were to do it again I would look for a laser with the same features as the HP we have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
We have a HP office jet 8000. I got it for several reasons.

1. It duplexes, which saves on paper.

2. It has a wired Internet as well as wireless.

I find a wired connection has better reliability to wireless. We have a wireless cannon that is about pointless. If you want to print you have to physically turn the printer on first. With the HP on a wired network by the time I get to the printer it is done printing.

One other tip is to use a static IP address for the printer either by setting it in the printer or using the MAC address and DHCP to assign the same IP all of the time.

If I were to do it again I would look for a laser with the same features as the HP we have now.

The HP 8 series is very good at coming on when connected via WIFI. We never have an issue scanning or printing

I'll second giving the printer a static IP

·
Registered
650 Posts
My vote goes for HP. I have a Office Pro 8600 pro. It has 4 cartridges so if the yellow runs out you just replace the yellow.

Doug

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,107 Posts
HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m does pretty well for us.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
HP 4630 all on one here. It replaced a Lexmark that did not hold a good connection wirelessly. I have only had the 4630 a couple of months, so cannot comment on longevity, although if it is like other HP products, and printer I have owned, it may last for a decade or more.

Wireless connectivity is good. It is in a back room of the house, and my laptop is at the front of the house. No issues there. Set up was easy, and fast, even for a blonde!

Also, HP has a program where you pay each month, and they send you a new ink cartridge when your unit sends them a signal that you are running low. Ink cartridges this way are MUCH larger than the ones you buy at office supply, so you replace less frequently. Monthly fee is based on plan you buy. Cheapest is based on 50 pages a month, and top tier is 200 pages a month, IIRC. You can print more than that, but get charged $1.00 for every 15 pages you go over. You can get it all set up, and they will send you your first ink cartridges, but they do not begin your billing plan, until you install the first cartridge sent. I keep a spare of each ink cartridge, just in case, (old habit). You can change plan level, or cancel the plan, at any time. So far, I've been happy with that, but I only installed my first replacement cartridge after a month of use. Will know more how I like it long term, as I go along.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a cannon MG5220. Never had a problem printing to it remotely over the WiFi. I like that each ink has its own cartridge so you just have to replace the color you need.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some great information. Seems like the good reviews on hp may be quite true. I see the Hp Envy 5660 is both wired and wireless which is a plus. Wish it had the separate color cartridges tho. We don't print much now. Mostly my wife makes greeting cards. I hate throwing ink away. Good idea on static IP address. Might need a little help with that. I know what it is. I bought a Apple 2 in 1978. So been around computers a while. Although my brain is a lot like my Epson printer, not always functioning. Oh! Happy New Year ! Dan

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
There are a bunch of network guys here so I'm sure we can help with getting things setup no matter which printer you choose.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Some great information. Seems like the good reviews on hp may be quite true. I see the Hp Envy 5660 is both wired and wireless which is a plus. Wish it had the separate color cartridges tho. We don't print much now. Mostly my wife makes greeting cards. I hate throwing ink away. Good idea on static IP address. Might need a little help with that. I know what it is. I bought a Apple 2 in 1978. So been around computers a while. Although my brain is a lot like my Epson printer, not always functioning. Oh! Happy New Year ! Dan
One thing to remember on ink cartridges, just because they are separate doesn't mean you wont throw ink away. Today's printers and cartridges are semi-intelligent, most have an electronic date stamp and will expire if not used within a certain time frame (12 - 18 months). So if you print mostly black and white it is likely you will have to replace the color cartridges before they are empty.

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Had a Cannon mx620 for past 5 or 6 yrs now a Cannon mx920 . Works fine, no problems.
When working always would work on HP business printers, far better than Lexmark (piece of J_ _K IMO. When Lemark worked great trying to repair one a really big pain in the A_ _. That was even the instructor opinion , wasn't a HP or Lexmark employee. After setting in close to a dozen Lexmark printer classes I agree.

Worst thing I would always advise people to buy HP for home use. Then the last 2 HP printers didn't last over 2 yrs, that is when I changed to Cannon.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We have a Cannon MP810 all in one and a Epson WF-7610 all in one. The Epson has the wireless print capability. We bought the Epson because the Cannon is over seven years old and I can't buy print heads for it anymore. The Epson also has a 30000 page duty cycle per month. My wife is a teacher and the Epson allows us to print from iPads, iPhones and laptops. It also allows printing on up to 11 x 17 paper which my wife uses a lot. I know you didn't want an Epson, but I like ours. Cannon has the highest pixel ratio, then Epson.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts