Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharn Jean and I were talking about what we were going to have for supper, and realizing that we had a hefty chunk of ham left over from Christmas, it seemed to prudent to see if we could make use of it. So, since it was my idea, I got to fix supper. I figured something different and quick would be in order. Looked, and we had a can of Great Northern beans (My Dad called white beans "Dishwater Beans"...turns out he wasn't the only one) and it all progressed from there. Here's my recipe which is a compilation of several recipes that I found on line; biggest exception is that it is made from canned beans, so the cook time is WAAAAAAY shorter. It turned out way beyond my expections; just enough for two folks and enough left over for my breakfast!

WHITE BEAN AND HAM SOUP

Ingredients

1 can of Great Northern beans

2 cups (approx.) chopped, cooked ham

2 tsp Italian Seasoning

1 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 Celery rib, chopped

1 cup (approx) chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp parsley flakes

Chicken broth to cover

Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a medium sized sauce pan and heat until the onions begin to clarify. Stir occasionally.

Add the ham, parsley, Italian seasoning and enough chicken broth to cover and simmer for 30 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

Add the beans and liquid, plus enough chicken broth to cover. Simmer for 15 minutes and serve.

A dash of Tabasco sauce goes great!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Had some for dinner today, little simpler than yours though: Can of Navy beans & leftover ham pieces, I added a little horseradish & dill pickle juice at the table. Along with fresh corn bread!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
You know where this ended up 2LC. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? Is that all it takes? :unknown:
You have no idea how little it takes. If it weren't for the "likes" I get on this site, I would be an emotional wreck. I take it as a compliment when somebody honks at me or a dog growls when I pass by. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about sending Giz a PM to see if he will tell me why he is everyone's idol here on GT. :mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
You have no idea how little it takes. If it weren't for the "likes" I get on this site, I would be an emotional wreck. I take it as a compliment when somebody honks at me or a dog growls when I pass by. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about sending Giz a PM to see if he will tell me why he is everyone's idol here on GT. :mocking:
Not everyone, just dieselshadow's. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
We like the Jiffy "corn muffin" mix too & I use Jiffy baking mix for biscuits.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My grandmother [from Alabama] used white cornmeal, no sugar, lard or bacon grease, and a specific lodge (that is a brand) cast iron skillet.
The only thing that skillet was used for was cornbread.

My grandfather was from the gizzard [firey gizzard cove, use your google] which was near enough to Alabama apparently as my grandmother moved to the gizzard.
(I am not sure if she was in the gizzard before she met my grandfather....)

They moved to IN after ww2, my grandfather found a job in a mill in New Castle IN at that point, and the cornbread recipe made it's way 'nort to the land of the less-fortunate corn muffiners. ;)
[disclaimer, I was born in Kokomo IN, and I don't cook, even been known to mostly just eat right out of the can]

I need to go see if Dollar General has a can of white beans now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hot dogs are good. :lol:
I splurged and got buns too ;)

Snacking on the cashews from nuts.com - I am amazed at how much more flavor they have vs the planters/diamond canned type.
(also have a few kinds of their sugar-free chocolate covered nuts.

Has anyone else bought from nuts.com ?
They have been around since 1929 :)

[apologies for the thread hijacking..]

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
I splurged and got buns too ;)

Snacking on the cashews from nuts.com - I am amazed at how much more flavor they have vs the planters/diamond canned type.
(also have a few kinds of their sugar-free chocolate covered nuts.

Has anyone else bought from nuts.com ?
They have been around since 1929 :)

[apologies for the thread hijacking..]
:good2:
Thanks for the nut info.:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
All this talk about ham & bean soup. Ms. SGS makes a good bean soup with smoked pork shoulder. She also carries out a longstanding family tradition of having it with an onion on wheat bread & butter sandwich!

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Nuts.com? I think their headquarters may be at my neighbor's house, just sayin

P.S. I love my neighbors, well some of them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts