Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but came up empty -

Considering filling my tires. Anybody DIY? Advice? Suggestions? Threads I missed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Did a search but came up empty -

Considering filling my tires. Anybody DIY? Advice? Suggestions? Threads I missed?

Thanks!
I used this fitting from Tractor Supply.. and since I was adding RV antifreeze and not water added with a water hose (TS fitting is water hose type) ,I also bought a cheap pump from Northern Tool. The pump mounts in a regular drill and is about $15.00. I made up a couple of short hoses using the appropriate fittings and filled my tires, burping the air out as I went along. Make sure the valvestem is at the 12 o'clock position ,tire standing up, and only fill to just above the rim top...or when you get fluid instead of air when burping.

Slime® Air/Water Adapter Kit with Bleeder Valve - Tractor Supply Co.

Well....looks like they went up to 20.00$ on the pump...but I get coupons in the mail all the time. May check with Harbor Fright to see if they have one a little cheaper.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200384668_200384668

·
Administrator
20,694 Posts

·
Administrator
20,694 Posts
Very informative thread Diesel! Are you still happy with your tire fill? Did you fill the front tires?
I'm very happy with the filled tires. In fact I wouldn't own another tractor without filling the rear tires.:good2: As far as the fronts? I see no benefit at all. Filling the fronts will not add to stability due to the front axle pivot, so the weight would have zero bearing on the frame of the tractor.

*edit* changed rear to front...

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
I'm very happy with the filled tires. In fact I wouldn't own another tractor without filling the rear tires.:good2:

As far as the rear? I see no benefit at all. Filling the fronts will not add to stability due to the front axle pivot, so the weight would have zero bearing on the frame of the tractor.

I think think he means fronts.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yuck!

As a shop owner, I will ask you never to bring your fluid-filled tires into my shop for repair. It's a time-consuming mess.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I also used a garden hose adapter, a ball valve and a sump pump that I already had. Once there was to much pressure for the pump to over come I closed the valve, turned off the pump and then slowly opened the valve to let the air out.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have all 4 tires filled with Rim Guard. It made difference in feel of the tractor and it rides much better mowing my grass.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have dealer filled rears, love them, great for extra traction in winter, but on 2305...does that count:lol:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dealer insisted on it here in hilly VA. Oddly they forgot to do it though, and then made it right (pulled the tractor, filled, returned) when I pointed out the oops... So I can say that my dealer finds it to important for his customers and that I can see why (having used it both ways). Much more stable on side slopes, generally more grounded, and better with a fully loaded bucket. That said, the backhoe doesn't swing the rear of the tractor around as easily anymore which is both good and bad. :)

All in all, I wouldn't be without filled rears in a (S)CUT.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
I thought they just put smaller tires on one side....or is that only in West VA? :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
On the left side... Makes going around the dirt track that much faster!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Filed the rears with Rim Gard, the dealer did it before I took delivery. Never had a tractor without fluid in the tires, and wont... there is not way to get lower weight lower, unless you call the MMM extra ballast. Cheap insurance IMO:greentractorride:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I filled my rear tires on my 1025 with rimguard™ and its an awesome ballast...No worries about rim deterioration, bio degradable and it helps out the sugar beet farmers (made from beet juice)....added about 85 lbs per tire

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes 2013 1025R
I have another question for you JKR. Are you running R4s or Turf tread? The reason I'm asking is I had a 455 diesel with turf tread and filled rear tires and that tractor rode better than my 1026R with R4s. They are similar in tire size. My 1026R is able to find every little nook and cranny for its tires to fall into when mowing. The R4s have little flex in them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts