Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am normally one to read, read, read and read more about an item before I purchase, I am at a road block. no matter what i read, they all seem to be having issues with one thing or another.

I am stuck between a F350 with a 6.7 or a Dodge 2500 with a 6.7.

Dodge is scaring me with the slow into of the 2013 year and the rumor it will all change in 2014. Ford seems to be over the growing pains of the new motor and trans and stuff seems to be reliable. I always said i was going to go Dodge when it was time, but I am scared at this point. I found a nice Lariat Ultimate in Black and I have not went to look at the dodge's yet.....

Fill me in on the rumors please.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know much about diesel trucks, but in your decision making process you should not forget that Dodge (Chrysler) is majority owned by Fiat from Italy. Fiat is pretty good in building small diesel engines (for passenger cars and small vans). Their Iveco brand has bigger diesel engines and has a pretty good reputation in Europe. I don't know how much of that knowledge will find its way into the US brands. A comon Fiat problem is rather poor workmanship and rather low quality.

I have a motorhome with the Ford V10 in it, on a Ford F53 chassis (it is the 550 version of chassis) . I have 66k miles on it and have not had any problem with it. If their diesel trucks, that have a very similar chassis, are as good as the V10 version, I can recommend them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A while back I was having a conversation with a guy that bought a plow from me. He had a new Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel. So far he said that he had no issues and pulled trailers all the time. I just wish there wasn't so much crappy plastic on the trucks now. The grills fall apart after a while, especially with uv exposure and vibration.

In the near future I'm going to buy a new dually and am having a hard time as well. If Dodge just hadn't made so many changes, it might not be so difficult to lean that direction.

Some other guys I know bought 2013 F250's and 350's and none of them mentioned having any real issues. All of them are diesels. I like the new Ford's so maybe I'll end up getting one instead of the Dodge.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a pretty nice one home for the weekend, but there are a few options it does not have so looks like I am going to order...... I want to drive a dodge before I order the ford. :).

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You looking for a F250 or F350? What package? Lariat? I think the Fords have the best interior of the big 3. All have good engines/trans. now, but the Cummins is still wrapped in a Dodge wrapper.. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
479 Posts
You looking for a F250 or F350? What package? Lariat? I think the Fords have the best interior of the big 3. All have good engines/trans. now, but the Cummins is still wrapped in a Dodge wrapper.. :flag_of_truce:
Funny because i read a review yesterday (but it may have been for 1/2 ton) where they compared the big three and claimed Dodge clearly had the best interior. I don't have a clue, last time i was shopping was in '06, tried a GM 3/4ton duramax but ended up buying a Nissan Titan.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dodge 1500 has a nice interior, but the 3/4 ton has not kept up to my knowledge. I am looking at an f350 lariat ultimate.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a Ford 6.4L diesel (which were not built by Ford) and had a lot of problems. I went through two turbos, two radiators along with a charge pipe, computer problems and fuel issues all within 60000 miles. I would not drive another if someone paid me.

I have heard that the "new" 6.7L (which were built by Ford this time) are awesome! I am actually looking at getting a F350 myself.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I could be wrong, but I dont think the Ram 2500 is made in th U.S.A. My next truck will likely be a Ford F250.:usa

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drive a 2008 2500 HD with a 6.7 Blue Tec. Not much on the inside, but is a Hell of a truck if you need a "not afraid to get it dirty". I have never gotten it stuck, and we have tried when hunting, and it pulls my 6000lb go-fast like it wasn't there.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Brian,

I had a 2011 F250 with the 6.7. It was a sweetheart of a truck. Everybody I know misses it. That thing had amazing bottomless torque. But I needed something heavier so it had to go. I drove a new Dodge 4500 chassis cab with the Cummins in looking around. It was nice, but stiff and kind of flat feeling. And too pricey for what you get, I thought.

Nevertheless, all of these light truck diesels are a bit of a sham. Their maintenance costs are high and none of them are going to last for the 300,000 miles that diesels are reputed. Stop at any light truck diesel repair station and they'll tell you if they have time to talk with all of the work to do. Fuel pumps, turbos, injector systems...thousands to repair and replace and you're lucky to get 150,000 miles out of them after doing all of the pricey regular maintenance (13 qt oil changes). I'm not down on diesels but be aware of the long term costs.

If your considering the 350/3500 size, consider the 450/4500 size and get into a real truck frame. The turning radius is far better, for one thing. Load capacity is far better, if that is a factor. They're just more brutal all around.

My humble 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
The only gripes I'm hearing with the new diesels are lower MPG's due to the new emissions equipment. Eventually they'll probably get the MPG's back up as they refine the emissions equipment. As much as I like diesels, it's tough to justify the significant cost premium for the engine, the added maintenance costs, and the higher per gallon fuel prices; but if you need/want the torque, the diesel still outshines the modern direct injected gassers. Back in 1999, when I ordered my F-250, I chose the $350 V-10 over the $3,500 diesel as I knew I wasn't going to drive the truck daily, or tow very often. For me the V-10 was a good compromise, and I calculated a 10-year payback on the diesel over the gasser.

Last year I got a chance to drive my dentist's new F-350 6.7 diesel, and what a sweet ride he has. The engine is quiet, and my V-10 is louder. The truck has good get up and go, and the rear view camera is wonderful.

Today I went to the Denver Auto Show with a buddy I used to work with. This may sound silly; but look at the HVAC controls in the trucks your interested in. The GM trucks have these tiny slippery as snot knobs for the HVAC and radio controls. Absolutely ridiculous trying to operate them barehanded. Good luck doing so with gloves on. The Dodge had good knobs with large size and texture as I recall that make them easy to operate, even with gloves on. I didn't get a chance to look over the F-250's and above regarding the controls. I'm not a GM or Chrysler fan; but I'd still take the Dodge over the GM.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I told myself when I wrecked my 08 Dmax that I was done with Diesels. I also knew I was done with GM. The maintenance does not scare me, but all the tiny electronics do. Even the small sensor in the urea tank can shut you down. But, my buddy bought a F350 with the 6.2 gasser last year and he is not thrilled. He is getting 8 mpg with it. You can buy a lot of gas with the 8K upgrade to the diesel engine, but..... I cannot bring myself to do it. I cannot sit and eat fuel all day knowing I can get 20 mpg in a diesel.

I have owned:
1999 F250 7.3 Handshaker
2003 Chevy 2500 Dmax
2004 Dodge 5.9 (still have it on the farm)
2005 F250 6.oh no
2008 GMC 2500 Dmax

So this is not my first BBQ.

The Dodge sounds fun but between bearings, hubs, rust, exhaust rusting away and the interior, I fear thinking of trying a 2013 when they just came out with it.

I do not want a F450 or 4500 as I had a buddy with a 2005 F450 and it sucked to ride in and pay for the fuel. I do not need that large of truck. I need to pull a few trailers and a possible RV.

With the Passat TDI kicking out great mpg and it being a fun car, its hard not to want to get back into a diesel. I think most of the Ford 6.7 issues have been worked out. The biggest issue I have read is the trans acting funny on the 2011 and the urea tank showing contaminated urea over time. Both issues seem to have been solved on the 2012 models.

B

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
It sounds like the eternal diesel-gasoline dilemma. It all boils down to the number of miles you drive. My issue with these diesels is that you need to put gobs of miles on to offset the cost of the upgrade and higher fuel cost vs the somewhat better mileage. And when you do drive it all over creation and rack up the miles, now you go into maintenance hell with expensive failing components. The numbers just don't add up.

The intangible fun factor is the hard part. Theres absolutely no question that the diesel blows the gassers away there. And that's where the "it's great to live in America" part comes in. You can do whatever the heck puts a smile on your mug.

PS. One thing I don't miss much about the 6.7 was the regen cycle every couple of hundred miles. The first time it happened, I almost called the fire dept because of the heat and smell. The ditzy broad salesman never informed me about it so I had no idea, ha ha. All she could show me was how to set radio stations and make the truck talk to my stupid phone, like I care. From now on, when I step into a dealership for a truck, I'll be specifying a salesman versed with diesels, and more than likely a male. Thanks, but I don't need to know about the lighted fold down visor mirror. Go sell a minivan.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I deal with regens on my TDI and I also did on my 08. They are not a big deal and they have the programming down now compared to 08!

Its not a gas/diesel issue to me as I am not looking at gassers. ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
When I buy another new truck, the dealer isn't going to see it again, unless it's absolutely necessary. The corporate office had to threaten the dealer with a spanking after they refused to replace an exhaust part that was recalled. Even had the letter from the corporation and they still didn't want to do the work.

All this emissions electronic junk is something that can and will sooner or later be a pain. I don't have a choice, since I must have trucks to pull trailers with.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
The Dodge sounds fun but between bearings, hubs, rust, exhaust rusting away and the interior, I fear thinking of trying a 2013 when they just came out with it.

B
I have an 09' Dodge 3500 and I have not heard of some of these complaints. Only one I know of is the front hubs and they are easy to change. I live in the rust belt and have not seen exterior rusting or exhaust systems rusting out. Ford's here for some reason rust at the rear wheel wells and under the front doors.

The 2013 Dodge has a new frame, suspension, steering, cooling system, EGR cooler, SCR, front axle disconnect, updated interior, ESC for 3500, trailer sway control, and a few more.

As far as SCR is concerned if your thinking that is new that wouldn't be true. Cummins has been using it for years before it shows up here in the U.S.

Think of the Dodge as an update, more power and better mpg.

Bottom line you'll have to decide.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an 09' Dodge 3500 and I have not heard of some of these complaints. Only one I know of is the front hubs and they are easy to change. I live in the rust belt and have not seen exterior rusting or exhaust systems rusting out. Ford's here for some reason rust at the rear wheel wells and under the front doors.

The 2013 Dodge has a new frame, suspension, steering, cooling system, EGR cooler, SCR, front axle disconnect, updated interior, ESC for 3500, trailer sway control, and a few more.

As far as SCR is concerned if your thinking that is new that wouldn't be true. Cummins has been using it for years before it shows up here in the U.S.

Think of the Dodge as an update, more power and better mpg.

Bottom line you'll have to decide.
A lot of what I am talking about is what I have seen with the older Dodges, pre 2007. I do not have much experience with them after 2008. I went and looked at a few today and found a real nice 2012, but the interiors on the 202 and 2013 are so far behind the Ford. But pop the hood and you would thank yourself for buying the dodge as there is room to work on the engine, to a point.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Some of the repair work on the Ford 6.7 requires you to lift the cab. That would really be a downer. Let us know how you make out. Either one will do whatever you ask it to do.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts