Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Can't help. I'm 68 and still working 40+ hours a week. I'm afraid that if I quit, I will die. Probably would starve first, though.:laugh:

There are still some more toys that I need.

Registered
I retired 6 1/2 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Now I am so busy that I wonder how I ever found time to work. I have heard that is the definition of a successful retiree and that is definitely my case. So far, I have been able to keep my head above water on expenses, but these green attachments are starting to hurt. Craigs List has been a big help.

Dave

Premium Member
Nine more years of hard labour. I'll still work after that but on stuff that doesn't "have" to be done.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Pulled pension just over seven years ago at 55, paid firefighter for 29 years! I had started a retirement account 20 years earlier that started with $25 out of each paycheck (two week pay period), increased the deduction as time went by at raise time. This covered between 55 & 62, when I took SS and amounted to about the same/mo. as my pension. House was paid for many years ago & haven't paid out any interest since, if we can't pay for it, we don't buy it!

Main thing is, don't live beyond your means!

Our biggest expense is health insurance, which we both buy into our previous employer's group plan.

Granted our expenses aren't as high here as in some areas, but the pay wasn't either! ~~ Lowell

Premium Member
I'm 17 months into the Retired Life, and lovin' it! House-bound winter days are boring, but I just love surfing the 'net'...... Civil War, Lake Erie Shipping, State and City History....... The list is endless. I'm very 'blessed! With SSN, and Pention, I'm taking home more than I ever had! Those that have a 401k...... "sock it hard" while you're at work! You won't regret! Now, "Come-On Spring"...... 47 years at the same firm, and Department! Time to 'Kick-Back'........ :lol:

Premium Member
Well at the ripe old age of 32 I retired when my wife completed med school. This past January I decided to back to school to get the business degree. Funny how easy it is to get a degree in business management after having a 11 year carrier as a business manager. It is off to be as old as some of the other students parents.

Premium Member
Retired; but not by choice.

Fiscal responsibility on the part of my wife and me when we were working keeps us afloat now. Our biggest cost is health insurance through my wife's last employer. Oscamacare would cost us more for less than we are getting now.

Premium Member
Retired after 34 1/2yrs with Verizon, like others put away all you can . Don't loose out on company matched funds. Doesn't matter if it is 25% or 100% match. We had guys getting a raise every 6 mos and wouldn't put a penny away for retirement. Remember that matching fund is FREE MONEY ,
Yea still work a day or two at the most 12 hrs delivering parts. Help the daughter FIL mowing and trimming . it will be 6 yrs this June seems like yesterday.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Good thread. 3 years to go here. I hope.

Premium Member
Retired, do to plant closing, not choice, but I planned to retire this years so only a few years early.
I was on unemployment for 7 months then a buyout (to retire) was offered. So I retired rather than let my benefits run out .

Luckily I have pension. My income was halved, too young for S.S. so I spend less, but I have a lot more time now!

Make less = Spend less.

I have yet to touch my 401K

GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
My boss would never let me retire. If I tried, she'd hunt me down and force me back, kicking and screaming! Besides, I have expensive taste, and like expensive toys, I mean, tools. Maybe when I have finished collecting them, or if I win the lottery, I'll consider retiring.

Honestly, even if I won the lottery, I'd probably work part time, at least. I am blessed that I actually do enjoy my job! :good2:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
My boss would never let me retire. If I tried, she'd hunt me down and force me back, kicking and screaming! Besides, I have expensive taste, and like expensive toys, I mean, tools. Maybe when I have finished collecting them, or if I win the lottery, I'll consider retiring.

Honestly, even if I won the lottery, I'd probably work part time, at least. I am blessed that I actually do enjoy my job! :good2:
How long have you worked at your current job?

GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
How long have you worked at your current job?
More years than I will admit to! You know, I am going to only be 29 on my next birthday! :lol:

Registered
I retired 4 yeas ago at 57 years old. I worked in the same factory 33 years. It was sold 3 times in those 33 years. I have 2 401k's that are still making money and will hang onto them till I am 65. I also had a savings account I contritubted to.
I have 2 pensions that I am drawing till the day I die.

The last time the company was sold,they moved the business to the lower part of Georgia. The employees that were 55 are older were offered a severance package if they didn't want to transfer to the new location. I took the severence package and retired. I was a High voltage electrician and later a Electronic technician, PLC programmer and troubleshooter.

The companies were Torrington Bearings, Ingersol Rand and Timken Bearings.
I got to see the world working for these companies.

Premium Member
I retired in 2003 at age 65. I have my SS and also a state retirement. Wife has her SS and we seem to get by OK; we have our home paid for, so we just have our living expenses and her car payment. So far my state insurance is getting us by, but it ain't cheap. Until she got on Medicare, I was paying about $1000 per month for insurance.

Registered
Retired at 52 after 27 years with the FBOP. Stayed under the old CSRS (all or nothing fed pension) when the current FERS (portable fed pension with matching savings contributions) got introduced in the '80s, so no social security, but plugged the max permitted for CSRS people into thrift savings (but non matched - the program is like a 401k for fed emps) once that was offered. Keeping the same health insurance rates into retirement was a big plus. I began my career in field locations so was covered by the 20-50 hazardous duty provision ( you pay in 50% more in retirement but the first 20 years count as 30 and you are retirement eligible at 50 with at least 20 years service. Retirement was manditory at 55 (later raised to 57). We had zero outstanding debt when we got the last youngun out of college so I pulled the plug.

We picked up a new mortgage moving back to NC, but cash flow is ok between my pension and the wife's from WV plus her ss.

Nick

Registered
Retired Military

I retired from the Air Force after 22 years. I went as high as I could promotions wise and my kids were joining the military. I would spend 6 mos in Iraq or Afghanistan then home then right back again. That went on for several years. On my last tour I lost a soldier/kid (soldier of mine, called them MY kids) in Afghanistan . It was the most helpless feeling trying to hold them together as they pass away. I knew I had enough. My wife saw it in my eyes when I got home the last time. That was 8 years ago. I sleep nights now.... well some of them.
I work now at a refinery as a quality assurnace:tongue: guru for the DoD. Plan on retiring from that in 9 years when I'm 62-1/2. Our house will be paid off when I turn 62 and I've been pounding money into a 401K. Hoping to be in good shape with everything paid off by the time I retire (house, boat, truck, tractor, etc) > I'm trying to plan and have my toys bought and paid for before I retire for good. Then it's play time.
I was told that you go back to being a kid as you get old. Well I hope so. I'm gonna have some cool toys to play with in my sand box. They'll have JD on the side and not Tonka. :greentractorride:

Registered
Just retired Monday 3/31/14 was my last day. Getting up at 4:15 am every day for the last 37 years is long enough. Don't plan on drawing SS for at least five years yet, wife has the health ins. As others have said plug all you can into 401k. I did and now I can give myself a Hugh raise and enjoy what I want. I have a large shop and all my toys I want, plenty to keep busy with grand kids.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts