Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a new two post next week if it comes in as planned.

I'm looking for ways to use it to help with general maintenance including on my 1025.

My biggest question is what are you using as pickup points? The 1025 is just short enough that i'm
not seeing a good way to pickup on the frame.

Al

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Will a two post handle the weight? Maybe a dum question but I know tractors are heavier than people think. When i hauled my 1020 home on a car hauler it maxed it out. I don't think in would have the Ba**s to lift it mover head. I know alot of these two post lifts are over rated in the amount they will lift. I watched a video on YouTube about it. Good Luck and most of all be Safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm picking up a new two post next week if it comes in as planned.

I'm looking for ways to use it to help with general maintenance including on my 1025.

My biggest question is what are you using as pickup points? The 1025 is just short enough that i'm
not seeing a good way to pickup on the frame.

Al
Atlas makes a lift attachment that supports the tires/wheels that is rated for 5,000 capacity. Probably other options as well... One thing I'd recommend though is to go pick up some high position jack stands. One of the dangers about getting something up on a lift can be balance depending on what you are doing. The tall jack stands are cheap insurance as far as safety is concerned. Harbor Freight sells a nice set for a very reasonable price BTW...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Atlas makes a lift attachment that supports the tires/wheels that is rated for 5,000 capacity. Probably other options as well... One thing I'd recommend though is to go pick up some high position jack stands. One of the dangers about getting something up on a lift can be balance depending on what you are doing. The tall jack stands are cheap insurance as far as safety is concerned. Harbor Freight sells a nice set for a very reasonable price BTW...
Like this...
stand.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a two post handle the weight? Maybe a dum question but I know tractors are heavier than people think. When i hauled my 1020 home on a car hauler it maxed it out. I don't think in would have the Ba**s to lift it mover head. I know alot of these two post lifts are over rated in the amount they will lift. I watched a video on YouTube about it. Good Luck and most of all be Safe.
Not a dumb question at all.

It's a 10,000 two post the weight is not a issue.

Al

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
I don't think he has to worry about a 1025R. JD uses lots of aluminum these days and naked they are around 1500 lb. Your 1020 was from the good ole days when they made tractors out of iron. It probably weighed 5000 lbs naked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think he has to worry about a 1025R. JD uses lots of aluminum these days and naked they are around 1500 lb. Your 1020 was from the good ole days when they made tractors out of iron. It probably weighed 5000 lbs naked.
John Deere 1020:

Wheelbase: 74 inches [187 cm]
Weight: 4730 to 5955 pounds
Front tire: 5.50-16
Rear tire: 13.6-28

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What Make/Model of two post are you acquiring? Asymmetrical? I was going to acquire for the shop at my main home, but have put it off as we're going to sell and retire somewhere more tax friendly. Hopefully, at that time I'll be in the market. So I like to know what you think of yours when you've had a chance to utilize it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Make/Model of two post are you acquiring? Asymmetrical? I was going to acquire for the shop at my main home, but have put it off as we're going to sell and retire somewhere more tax friendly. Hopefully, at that time I'll be in the market. So I like to know what you think of yours when you've had a chance to utilize it.
What i'm getting is a SA10 Challenger two post it can be setup symmetrical or Asymmetrical.

At this point i believe i'm going to set it up symmetrical.

I'll add some pictures when i get it.

Congrats on retirement. I have about 15 yrs before i can retire, we did just down size by building a smaller house and a bigger
barn :good2:

To many grand kids for us to move south but i'd sure like to.

Al

·
Registered
164 Posts
My hoist is rated for 9000 lbs. I never had the tractor on it but my 7000 lb+ pickup has been on it lots of times. It came out of a GM dealer and it's pretty heavy duty.
Ron

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
1025R on two post lift

My BendPac 10,000 lb 2 post asymetrical lift is great, but not for the tractor. The tractor is too narrow for the lift arms to provide a safe balanced lift, even though I have it set up for cars (Ford Fusion), SUVs (Range Rover), and small sports cars (MGs, etc.). I've used the lift to raise the rear end of the tractor to remove a wheel, but a floor jack and jack stands are as quick and frankly easier.

The lift is nice to raise the FEL bucket for painting, etc. It's also good for hanging parts and implements for painting. It's not so good as a 1025R lift.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A lot of people like the SA10 lift. I am old enough now that my knees don't like the idea of crawling on the ground to set the lift arms so I am leaning towards a 4 post.
Good luck with the downsizing of the house. We downsized to a smaller house and a large barn.
Within months my Dear Wife decided there wasn't enough room for the kids and grandkids to stay so we are currently finishing up a 1500sf addition to the house.:flag_of_truce:

What i'm getting is a SA10 Challenger two post it can be setup symmetrical or Asymmetrical.

At this point i believe i'm going to set it up symmetrical.

I'll add some pictures when i get it.

Congrats on retirement. I have about 15 yrs before i can retire, we did just down size by building a smaller house and a bigger
barn :good2:

To many grand kids for us to move south but i'd sure like to.

Al

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm still trying to decide why you would need to get a tractor that far off the ground...unless you are only talking about lifting it a foot off the ground. What would require you to lift a tractor any higher? Just curious......
Depends on the repair your doing.
It's the difference between walking underneath or crawling underneath. Sometimes you end up sitting on the ground with your legs underneath the load. I'd rather stand or sit on a roller stool next to the job.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm still trying to decide why you would need to get a tractor that far off the ground...unless you are only talking about lifting it a foot off the ground. What would require you to lift a tractor any higher? Just curious......
If I could get my tractor or vehicles off the ground to where I would walk underneath it, it would be heaven. I have a lot of years crawling around on cold concrete that I would love to forget.

I have been underneath my 2210 quite a few times for repairs. Was a lift needed, no but it sure would have been nice. It just gives you a different perspective.

I would think a 4 post list (with the ability narrow the track) would be better for a 1 series than a 2 post lift. My 2210 is sometimes hard to balance correctly on jack stands, so I am sure a 2 post can be a real challenge.

Good luck with the lift, I am sure it will come in handy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Guess I'm too used to crawling around on the ground with a piece of cardboard for a creeper....lol. I still cannot imagine lifting a tractor any higher than one would need to to remove the rear wheels and tires....lol. Just doesn't seem safe.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm using a four post. Here are some pictures. I just built the lift, drove the tractor up, engage, and took these pictures. I haven't really serviced the tractor on the lift yet. But I do like this lift - it works well. It has wheels and I can move it around with a load on it. I purchased an optional sliding two point hydraulic jack. That with the jack tray should enable great versatility.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm using a four post. Here are some pictures. I just built the lift, drove the tractor up, engage, and took these pictures. I haven't really serviced the tractor on the lift yet. But I do like this lift - it works well. It has wheels and I can move it around with a load on it. I purchased an optional sliding two point hydraulic jack. That with the jack tray should enable great versatility.
Tractor tires are less than half on the ramps ................ not for me.

Suggest to put tractor on from the side of the lift to get full tires on ramps. Of course you will need to set ramps against the side and build up between the ramps to get the tractor on. But then it would be something I would trust.

Be sure to block wheels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts