Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While getting ready to put the workbench I'm going to use for the welder in, I had to take off a place where I'd tacked up a piece of plywood below where we used to have an indoor basketball hoop and I didn't want anyone running into one of the nails. What I found when I took the plywood off, scares me. What I saw was ants, but I didn't know ants could do this, unless termites lived their previously and then the ants moved in, I don't see how this happened. I took some pictures, and then doused the area with bug spray. They sure did have a little channel in there. It's weird though, because no where else do I see anything like this, I'm lucky enough to have just the studs so I can see everything out front without tearing any drywall out. So have any of you seen anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think they call them carpenter ants.:unknown: which seems odd do the fact they build nothing.:unknown: Seems a more appropriate name would be demolition ants.:good2:
Hope they did not get in to any place else.:thumbup1gif:
Jeff

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping so as well. I will be checking all the studs thoroughly tomorrow. It's amazing how precise of cuts they make though! Much better than had I tried to done the same thing!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yup, carpenter ants. Make sure you crush any with wings, as they will be off to start the next colony someplace you won't like if you don't. I've found that any place several boards are stacked together and even the slightest bit of moisture can get in, carpenter ants will find suitable. If there is a space between the boards, even 1/4", it seems to keep them away.

Andy B.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Martian,

I assume this damage is in your tractor building. Hopefully, it is not too extensive. Those ants can do a lot of damage.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, and yes it is in the barn. Only reason I didn't know it was there was I've had plywood nailed up over that area for 6 or 7 years now. When I pulled it off I did a double take. I'm now going around checking all the studs in the barn.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Take a hammer and tap on the studs,and ditto above,look for sawdust...especially where there are multiple stacked studs. As you found,they stay just below the surface.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Carpenter ants are all over up here in Massachusetts. 99% of the time they need moisture to help soften the wood and create the right environment for their eggs. They don't eat the wood like termites do. Usually if you have ant damage and you eliminate the moisture source the ants will move on or won't come back if your lucky enough to kill them all. I have seen 4x6's that were weightless honey combs where they ate right up to the backside of the paint but don't go through.Borax powder is very effective at getting rid of them long term.Good Luck with that problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts