Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haul my 1025r forward facing while transporting it twice a week. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
150 Posts
YES, If you are "not" strapping the hood down on the tractor when transporting at "hi-way" speeds, you need to be concerned. Eventually you are going to lose the hood due to the wind breaking the retaining latch and then the hood flying off. Replacement hoods are expensive. Use some type of protection under the strap to keep the strap from damaging the hood due to wind flapping the strap. The rate of speed when transporting is the determining factor for strapping the hood. Short, slow speeds moves are less of a problem and may not need to be strapped, use your own judgement for those. Information is in your tractor manual.

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
So far I haven't strap a hood down nor lost a hood while towing.

Not saying it can't happen, usually I tow with a mini van. Maybe that is part of the reason, different airflow from towing with a truck.
I've never seen my dealer strap a hood down when he had delivered mine or taking it for repairs.
🤷🤷

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My local JD dealer can tell some stories about broken hoods. Not securing the hood is asking for trouble. Best to back a tractor with front opening hood on the trailer if you don't strap the hood. And as was mentioned, make sure you protect the hood from rubbing caused by the strap.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
164 Posts
Back in the early 2000s I had just bought a new 4600 Deere with mower and loader. When being delivered, the hood came unlatched and it just didn't destroy the hood, it broke the attaching pieces and some surrounding pieces to the tune of about $1,400. Of course the dealer took care of the repair.

I think it is a good idea to strap the hood down. I must admit that I don't always do it but all it takes is one disaster and we will all be believers.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I can't back mine onto the trailer with an attachment on the 3 point, it just doesn't clear. I wish these had a safety latch like a car does.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Check your manual. It will specify hauling facing to the rear. I always load facing the rear.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Check your manual. It will specify hauling facing to the rear. I always load facing the rear.
Dave
Exception is if it is a rear opening hood, such as a riding mower or garden tractor.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Exception is if it is a rear opening hood, such as a riding mower or garden tractor.
Then the manual won't specify loading facing the rear as I stated.

Dave

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
Has anyone ever tried a throwback from my early driving years... hood pins? :unsure: ;)

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
So I guess a related question is if you're using the red key do you have to drive in reverse when driving travel speed? 🤔
I just lean forward and hold the hood down. More aerodynamic that way! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Won‘t running straps over your hoods damage the paint ?

I pulled mine several times . including as recent as yesterday.
We get some serious winds here in Kansas/Oklahoma area.
I tend to pull on the interstates at interstate speeds 70-80mph .
So far no issues. I am pretty sure if I ran a strap over the hood there would be issues of the paint being rubbed completely off By the strap.

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
59 Posts
I towed my 1026 from Athens Tenn to Birmingham AL without incident. Of course I pull it all the way forward on my trailer. Pulled it behind a double cab tundra.

I will say compared to my 2305, the plastic hood doesn't feel very substantial.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am really glad to see this thread. I have never given a thought to the wind ripping my hood off, and I know for sure that I have loaded with the hinge toward the back. This would be a huge issue especially with my 332, which doesn't have a positive hood latch. I'm thinking it's surprising that I haven't lost my hood by now. I'll have to be paying attention to this. Thanks to the OP!!!!!!!

Edit: Now that I think of this more, I usually load the 332 with the tractor facing forward.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Only trailered it backwards and never would have thought about it...Tho never went on a highway and never over 45MPH.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Always loaded facing the rear as instructed in the manual.

Dave

Reactions: driveshaft
1 - 20 of 40 Posts