Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got mine for my 66th birthday. First time ever driving a ZTR. Why did I wait so long................

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Almost there

I'm almost with you and still don't have one. I've only driven one 3-4 times. The first time was at work when we had a display at the state fair and a dealer had offered to loan us one for the display. They also had a display but totally on the other side of the fairgrounds. I went to ask them when they could bring it and they handed me the keys and said "It's yours to take over there". Just what I wanted, first time on a machine driving it across a fair ground during set up day.

I think I drove it back and then last weekend my brother got a zero turn and I cut about 300 square feet with it.

So, technically my first time I was younger than you are but not as an owner/operator. They do seem like they would be fun though.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'm almost with you and still don't have one. I've only driven one 3-4 times. The first time was at work when we had a display at the state fair and a dealer had offered to loan us one for the display. They also had a display but totally on the other side of the fairgrounds. I went to ask them when they could bring it and they handed me the keys and said "It's yours to take over there". Just what I wanted, first time on a machine driving it across a fair ground during set up day.

I think I drove it back and then last weekend my brother got a zero turn and I cut about 300 square feet with it.

So, technically my first time I was younger than you are but not as an owner/operator. They do seem like they would be fun though.

Treefarmer
I'm younger, but no, have not been on one. Neighbor just bought one. Not sure I'd want one, as he stuck it 3 or 4 times today.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
You got me beat:hide2:

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
I'm younger, but no, have not been on one. Neighbor just bought one. Not sure I'd want one, as he stuck it 3 or 4 times today.

I didn't realize that you and I lived so close to Gizmo2.:laugh:

By the way, I'm 73 and have never set my arse on one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Also 73, also never sat on one though my silver has one and Might let me try it. Then again he might expect me to do his whole lawn :laugh:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got one last year at 57. First time to ever drive one. Took about 2-3 weeks of mowing to get accustomed to it. I liked mowing better with my old faithful 2210. But this is faster and easier to clean up, and piling up hours on a $6000.00 ZT is cheaper than a $15000+ 1 series. But I will never have any fondness for it...Its just a mower.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
So...don't take this the wrong way...but...y'all are old...er than me...

I'm out for two reasons:
1) I know I'm not the oldest
2) About 30 years ago I paid for my knee surgery by doing landscaping for the surgeon all summer, he had some god awful expensive Zero Turn that was an absolute beast,rode like a bucking bronco and about 10 acres of groomed yard. Then I didn't touch one again till a month or so ago when I bought one for my 4 or so acres of yard...

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts

You live next door to Gizmo?

I didn't realize that you and I lived so close to Gizmo2.:laugh:

By the way, I'm 73 and have never set my arse on one.
Hard to operate standing up aren't they?

Dad was in his late 70's when he got one. He just kept mowing. He'd look for grass to mow with it.

I'm glad I didn't wait till I was old to get one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my first one last year at age 59, a 920M. It was a learning curve at first to not leave skid marks any where, but quickly got in to it. It was not the super quick zippy turn that you might expect, but I find that if you slow down coming up to a turn, do the 2 point turn that others talk about on this sight, and then accelerate gradually, it works great. Still much quicker than my MCUT tractor and the flat out straight speed cuts WAY down on mowing time. And it still mows nice at this speed. The biggest thing is not having to mess around putting a deck on and off of that tractor(2032) even if it was fairly easy. I would always remove the FEL to change and that deck still took up space sitting in the middle of the barn with no easy way of moving it around. I got my 920M for about $8300 at the end of the year and on a dealer discount and it had the suspension seat on it. Way worth it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So...don't take this the wrong way...but...y'all are old...er than me...
Think of it this way, we've survived longer! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Also 73, also never sat on one though :laugh:
I'll warn you of this, if you are used to leaning on something to get up, like a steering wheel, well, there isn't anything! You're on your own!
My learning curve was rough......couldn't mow a straight line to save my life until I stopped trying to adjust with both levers, and started using one just to maintain a straight line. It's not intuitive at first, your feet are just along for the ride, pulling back sharply to stop CAN have some unexpected results, like wheelies!!! Same if your roll bar encounters a substantial branch......it's a little unnerving at first....where your seatbelt and keep that ROPS up!

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for OC to jump in. :hide: :lol:

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
4 or 5 yrs ago i set out to buy one of them sit and spins mowers:lol: my cousin''s husband beat me to it, when the salesman said, hey-i got this return sitting here--so much off-and i'll give ya full warranty on it. jeepers he about ran me over getting to it:lolol:so he paid for the itty bitty thing, and i got to try it out for free.

that thing is the bucking bronc i never got to try out in my life-jeez-rough i say.

after he had passed away(cousins husband) i mowed for her at her house and a rental house they have in town. rough, rough, it is the smaller version-number of it :dunno:
i then went hunting for a regular mower, came home with the x475-and i like it. still do.

whoever said that there is no steering to help getting on and off-is correct. if ur in great shape probably no problem. me-ahh-was a little bit wobbly getting on and off, and heck that couple yrs a go now.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for OC to jump in. :hide: :lol:
Just for that, ain't saying nothing, Dang New Yorker up to no good again. :laugh:

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Just for that, ain't saying nothing, Dang New Yorker up to no good again. :laugh:
He's just a kid, OC. Take it easy on him.:laugh:

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Geriatrics crew in here:laugh::laugh:

:flag_of_truce:

Just messing fellas, much respect.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Drove one yesterday at the JD dealerships . . . really nice . . . but my 1025r :greentractorride: is only a year old and I am making payments so no zero turn for me any time soon

To answer the question, I turned 70 on the 6th this month . . . wowwww . . . that's the first time I wrote my age since turning 70 :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
My learning curve was rough......couldn't mow a straight line to save my life until I stopped trying to adjust with both levers, and started using one just to maintain a straight line. It's not intuitive at first, your feet are just along for the ride, pulling back sharply to stop CAN have some unexpected results, like wheelies!!! Same if your roll bar encounters a substantial branch......it's a little unnerving at first....where your seatbelt and keep that ROPS up!
That and you need to pick a point at the far end of your run and drive to it, don't make small corrections right in front of you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I bought mine around 62. It was a Craftsman ZTS 7500 with a 50" deck. It would beat me to death and shot dust and dirt out the front which ended up all over me. I thought it was great when I first got it but was glad to see it go. Bought it used for a grand, used it two years, spent $250 rebuilding the deck, and sold it for $1250. So I basically used it two years for free.

Replaced it with a 72" Agmate finish mower and never looked back. I can get by with the finish mower and a weed eater but the wife hinted she wanted to start helping out with the mowing. I bought a project F725 and rebuilt it. It will run circles around that old zero turn and not shoot dirt all over me. I put a generic suspension seat on it so it's much easier on the old body. Wife hasn't followed through with helping but I enjoy driving it so I mow around the house and trees with the F725 and do the rest with the tractor. I'm 67 now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts