Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running the pre RTM versions for a while. I could not upgrade my workstation at work until it went RTM. Well, it's July 29th and my workstation is getting a fresh clean copy of Windows 10 right now. Home computers will get RTM as time permits evenings this week.

So, who else is upgrading today? :good2:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Staying with W7 for now on one laptop and upgrading the laptop that has W8.1.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
My laptop will have it as soon as it all does it's thingy and tells me to reboot. Not sure what the schedule is other than "Before Christmas".

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am currently downloading the iso's I require for my machines 10 Pro 32 and 64 bit and home 64. I will install as I see fit. Probably do my lenovo and HP workstations first as they just had a fresh load of 7 and have not been used since. The laptops will get it later on as they are used more often.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
From all I've seen 10 should be better than 8 but I'm gonna wait a bit and see how it goes. MS says you have a year to get free upgrade on 7 & 8, I have some of both.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Only updating my wife's work machine. My main home PC that I primarily use needs Windows Media Center and of course our HTPC is based on it as well. Huge bummer that Windows 10 will not support WMC anymore.
JD

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm not too keen on the yearly subscription thing that goes with W10. I'll be pushing out my current OS for as long as I can.

Besides, when has the initial release of a new Windows OS ever been better than what was currently running? Give it atleast 6 months to get the bugs out and then maybe it will be better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not too keen on the yearly subscription thing that goes with W10. I'll be pushing out my current OS for as long as I can.

Besides, when has the initial release of a new Windows OS ever been better than what was currently running? Give it atleast 6 months to get the bugs out and then maybe it will be better.
Not sure where you got that info but Windows 10 is not subscription based. If you are referring to the free for 1 year that MS is advertising, that only means it is free for qualifying OS's for 1 year after that anyone who did not take advantage of the free upgrade will have to pay for Windows 10.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
I'm still waiting on my copy of Windows 9.....

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I "un-reserved" Win10 when I saw the things I would be giving up from using Win7. I'm staying with 7 as long as I can.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm going to give it a few weeks, then maybe. I will definitely fully back-up my Win 7 machines before I do, then I can go back in time if I don't like 10. I don't have any experience with Win 8, but Win 7 usually worked fine for me.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Upgraded my Surface Pro 3 today and WOW, windows 10 is awesome. Love the design.

It is faster, smoother and just plain cool. I think Microsoft really did well.

Taskbar is great, the start button bringing up live tiles is nice, the notifications bar is well thought out.

The only thing I don't like is the way programs are listed but I bet if I hunt around it is customizable l, just haven't looked.

I have been using Windows for a very long time, back to when it was an interface to DOS and not an OS. I have used every version except ME and thus far 10 blows everything out of the water when it comes to the UI. I have not had time to really dive into the nuts and bolts but will over the next few days.

Everything seems to work as it should right off the bat

·
Old Pa-pa
11,734 Posts
Everything seems to work as it should right off the bat
Got my download, but going to let the dust settle a little before I install it on my Win 8.1 machine or
my wife's Win 7 machine.

Win 8.1 is great, but took a while before all drivers were brought up to speed/date for Win8.1, ex. Intel, Bluetooth, etc.
Would probably be wise to let Microsoft come up with its' first service pack for Win 10, you can almost bet it
will require a service pack sooner or later.................Just saying.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Got my download, but going to let the dust settle a little before I install it on my Win 8.1 machine or
my wife's Win 7 machine.

Win 8.1 is great, but took a while before all drivers were brought up to speed/date for Win8.1, ex. Intel, Bluetooth, etc.
Would probably be wise to let Microsoft come up with its' first service pack for Win 10, you can almost bet it
will require a service pack sooner or later.................Just saying.
Windows 10/works much much better than 8.1. My WIFI adapter didn't like 5ghz using 8.1. It would drop connection or run veryl slow, 15mg diwn 2 up. On 2.4 it was running 30up and 5 down

Now on Windows 10 the SP3 is connected at 5ghz and I have 90 down and 13 up

For me, Windows 10 didn't create any problems, it fixed them.

So glad to be away from 8.1

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
I think I'll wait. Out riding my new motorcycle around FL, GA and SC. More fun than fooling around with software!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 81 Posts