Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless you've been living under a rock you've probably seen some of the ads for the new tailgate designs on some of the new pickups. I'm curious as to which one people like the best?

GMC started it with their Swiss Army Knife version of a tailgate that does several tricks.

GMC

Then Chevy comes along with the first Powered tailgate (I've been wanting this for a while).

Chevy

Now Ram has come along with their 60-40 split tailgate that opens like doors.

Ram

I really think I like the Ram version best. This would really be nice for loading things into the bed with my tractor and forks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Unless you've been living under a rock you've probably seen some of the ads for the new tailgate designs on some of the new pickups. I'm curious as to which one people like the best?

GMC started it with their Swiss Army Knife version of a tailgate that does several tricks.

GMC

Then Chevy comes along with the first Powered tailgate (I've been wanting this for a while).

Chevy

Now Ram has come along with their 60-40 split tailgate that opens like doors.

Ram

I really think I like the Ram version best. This would really be nice for loading things into the bed with my tractor and forks.
I was thrilled that my 2015 GMC 2500HD came with a hydraulically-lowered tailgate. Now I'm lusting after the ones that I see on the new GMC's on television. I can't embrace the RAM...not a Dodge guy anymore.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Those fancy tailgates might be fine for those that don’t use and abuse a their trucks. But, tailgates tend to get beat up on farm and construction trucks. How are these going to hold up long term, and what’s it going to cost to get a replacement ? I don’t even like having the camera as part of the tailgate. The tailgate on my 2016 F250 is already bent a bit from loading my atv.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Those fancy tailgates might be fine for those that don’t use and abuse a their trucks. But, tailgates tend to get beat up on farm and construction trucks. How are these going to hold up long term, and what’s it going to cost to get a replacement ? I don’t even like having the camera as part of the tailgate. The tailgate on my 2016 F250 is already bent a bit from loading my atv.
The replacement parts cost + the cost to have it repainted + installation = price of a small used car.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Ill take the old style over the new, because when it breaks, and it will, just like all of them do at some point or another when they are used, its going to cost a LOT to fix, or be useless.

Then again, Im sure Im not the only one who remembers when trucks were trucks. By that I mean that the interior consisted of mostly surfaces painted the same color as the body, and maybe some very light upholstery. They were purpose built, and that purpose was work. Now, even a work truck is anything but. And the cost. Good grief! Ive already got a house payment, thanks.
Less is more.

So yeah, no matter the manufacturer, I prefer simple over complicated.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
In two years, I think I have lowered my tailgate three times,, that was to load a few 6-packs of Diet Coke,,

Haul something?? that is what the trailer is for,,, :flag_of_truce:

I did the same thing with my 1999,, the bed and tailgate look almost pristine,,, at 20 years old,,:good2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
My neighbor was showing me his new truck with the fancy tailgate, camera, etc. and how he can operate things with his smart phone. They also just had a walk in tub installed.
I don't think the tub door opens with the phone, but I could be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm confident that those tailgate options were not developed with the farm and construction market in mind. I suspect that that represents a relatively small percentage of pickup truck sales these days.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think I could find uses for both the RAM and GMC if I had it. I do really like the hydraulically lowered tailgate my 14 GMC has. That’s something I’ll have to look into on my next truck because I’m looking hard at Ford and RAM. I saw a 19 RAM 2500 Laramie at my local dealer that really caught my eye. I don’t want to buy a new truck right this minute, but this one is pretty special. Not often do I see one on lot that I’d buy, I was really thinking special ordering the next truck so I get exactly what I want. I did that with my car and will probably keep it forever because it’s exactly what I always wanted.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I'll take my slow lowering tailgate before any of these gimmicky new ones!:)

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Ill take the old style over the new, because when it breaks, and it will, just like all of them do at some point or another when they are used, its going to cost a LOT to fix, or be useless.

Then again, Im sure Im not the only one who remembers when trucks were trucks. By that I mean that the interior consisted of mostly surfaces painted the same color as the body, and maybe some very light upholstery. They were purpose built, and that purpose was work. Now, even a work truck is anything but. And the cost. Good grief! Ive already got a house payment, thanks.
Less is more.

So yeah, no matter the manufacturer, I prefer simple over complicated.
:good2:

When men were men and trucks were trucks.

I'm confident that those tailgate options were not developed with the farm and construction market in mind. I suspect that that represents a relatively small percentage of pickup truck sales these days.
Yeah, it really isn't popular to be a real truck anymore. Lots of wimmins buyin' them now.

Nowdays, a pickup truck is the new station wagon, or should I say mini-van.

Like Brad Pasly said "Hard to pick up a tackle box with creamy lotionly hands."

·
Registered
940 Posts
:good2:

When men were men and trucks were trucks.

Yeah, it really isn't popular to be a real truck anymore. Lots of wimmins buyin' them now.

Nowdays, a pickup truck is the new station wagon, or should I say mini-van.

Like Brad Pasly said "Hard to pick up a tackle box with creamy lotionly hands."
It says a lot about the automobile market that Ford no longer makes cars...only trucks.

For my part, I couldn't care less about owning a "real truck". I buy my vehicles based on my needs. I put about 5000 miles annually on my GMC 2500HD ... hauling, towing and winter driving. I own it for those special purposes, not daily driving (can't justify 13 mpg in a daily driver). Those "special purposes" would be enhanced by the new GMC tailgate. Not enhanced enough to be the sole reason for trading up, but intriguing nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Just don't leave the hitch in your GMC with that fancy fold down tailgate...

Link

·
Registered
246 Posts
It says a lot about the automobile market that Ford no longer makes cars...only trucks.

For my part, I couldn't care less about owning a "real truck". I buy my vehicles based on my needs. I put about 5000 miles annually on my GMC 2500HD ... hauling, towing and winter driving. I own it for those special purposes, not daily driving (can't justify 13 mpg in a daily driver). Those "special purposes" would be enhanced by the new GMC tailgate. Not enhanced enough to be the sole reason for trading up, but intriguing nonetheless.
You must not be doing enough hauling, towing, and winter driving. My truck sees 10k miles a year. I do take it on vacations and camping trips though, hard to fit stuff and 2 dogs in our cars. I DD my car when there’s no threat of salt on the roads. I plan to keep my car forever so keeping it out of that crap is essential.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You must not be doing enough hauling, towing, and winter driving. My truck sees 10k miles a year. I do take it on vacations and camping trips though, hard to fit stuff and 2 dogs in our cars. I DD my car when there’s no threat of salt on the roads. I plan to keep my car forever so keeping it out of that crap is essential.
I do all the hauling, towing, and winter driving in that truck that I need to do. No more, no less. For me, it's a special purpose vehicle. Daily driving is not part of that "special purpose" unless theres' snow on the road, or there's something I need hauled or towed.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have 1 old 78 ford with a real tailgate....yes it has a slight bow cause its been used and will be till I'm dead.

Rest of the fleet is Flatbeds or No bed.....My own design:yahoo:

I detest truck beds....pita to get into , don't wanna wash one again ever.

Zero use for a car...If its not 4x4..its useless @ my location.

Them new tailgates are easily in the 2K area.

Would never work for actual work...I'll pass

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I guess that would be me. :laugh:

Last commercial I saw for some fancy gimmick was the wave your foot under the back and the rear hatch would open. :hide:

?????

So who made that fancy hot rod that JDForever just bought?

Pretty sure Ford still makes cars. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I guess that would be me. :laugh:

Last commercial I saw for some fancy gimmick was the wave your foot under the back and the rear hatch would open. :hide:

?????

So who made that fancy hot rod that JDForever just bought?

Pretty sure Ford still makes cars. :bigthumb:
Actually, that is true that Ford still makes cars, but not for much longer as they have announced already that they are shutting down production of cars gradually, except for the Mustang. GM is following that lead. Don't know about FCA.

Dave

1 - 20 of 177 Posts