Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is this: Why a John Deere, as opposed to another brand?

I grew up in the suburbs. Dad purchased second lot in from corner to build his house...when the corner lot came up for sale, he talked Mom in to purchasing the lot. This was 1971 and the lot cost him $3,000. Dad started trowing down seed and eventually it needed mowing...his tool of choice, an old Wheel Horse hydro-static lawn tractor. I loved it and wanted to mow soooo bad. But Dad made me wait (wasn't old enough), and then made me trim with the Lawn Boy before I could mow with the Wheel Horse.

Fast forward to the mid 90's, married with a child on the way, me and the now ex-wife purchase a small acreage in rural NE Missouri. Needed a riding lawn mower quick, so headed to Sears and picked out a Craftsman -- I think it was 16 HP with 42" deck. It served me well for three years, then quickly went down hill. Engine was struggling, belts were slipping.

My maintenance supervisor at work said, "why did you buy that disposable riding mower? Should have gotten a John Deere..." He had been buying used JD 425 and 445's from the local JD dealer for years. Had worked out a deal where he would trade up with minimal cost every two years. Suggested I look at 445's...I thought about 455's, but he talked me out of the diesel.

Wow, what a difference! I think I paid $7k for my first used JD 445. It had less than 60 hours on the clock. Ran it for just three years until we moved to the city. I think I sold it for $5,700 back in 2004.

Fast forward again to last summer, 2nd wife and I purchase acreage...and it's gotta be a Deere! Found my current ride and absolutely LOVE IT! For me there is no other option...John Deere all the way.

So what's your story? Why a JD?

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
When we purchased our current residence in '99, a Speedex tractor was included. It cut grass, plowed snow, and pasture chores. I sold it in '09 when I got my 2520.
The Speedex was just an ok machine. Nothing special by any means. I don't know why a John Deere. I did alot of 'net searching for info back in 2008. I looked at the orange ones, but in the end, it was the green one! The 2 Series seemed to be the right size, and it was. I am totally happy with it for these past almost 10 years. The wife had a lot to do with its purchase just like she did a few weeks ago when we got our X390!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Bought my first John Deere almost 3 decades ago from the dealer down the road because he was close, had a great reputation, and had a very attractive dealership - very professional-looking. Had a few Deeres in the interval, still have them all, recently bought a 1023E. Stuck with John Deere because I still have the same great dealer, he's never let me down, and every John Deere implement I've ever owned has been bulletproof. I'm sure there are other tractors just as good, maybe better, but why change if you have a winning formula?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It just made sense..20 some years ago if you wanted a compact 4x4 in my area you were very limited.

Jd dealers are in every podunk town in my area..more so to the south...(was) all farms and still are plenty left.
So more marketable used jd's, otherwise it was Gray market crap.

1 Ford dealer ..10 mi. north...Doin't know of another and I travel a 100 mi radius a few times a week to every backroad there is. Possibly 1 in Salem 70 mi.

4 Kubota close.(10-40 mi.).then its up to WA. or the coast. I'm sure theres more way down south.

JD's are roughly 30 mi apart and many closer..parts when needed are easy (not cheap) but avl
My dealer is 15 minutes away and my Neighbor is the Service manager.

I'll stay Green...if I can find the right tractor in a larger size ...still looking.

My 955 is a lifetime Keeper but I need to add to the fleet.

Do own 2 Kubotas..Zero regrets..good machines Mini Ex , rtv 900.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would also look at availability of dealers in your area. I have several (basically same ownership) within 50-60 miles...but this helps with availability of parts as they transfer between stores for free. I've had other tractors, but i feel I'll always be on a Deere from here on.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Been around Deeres for 45 years.
When I was younger, it was my Grandfathers garden tractors. Having seen others, and the cheap feel to them, I guess somewhere along the way I just got hooked.
My own first Deere was a 14SB push mower, then a BP60 backpack blower and XT120 trimmer. Still have and use the blower and trimmer.
I inherited my Grandfathers 318, and considering its 32 years old and still impresses the non-Deere crowd, Id say thats something.
And I can still get parts for it. That alone is one BIG reason to go with a big name.

When I needed a bigger tractor, I knew Id prefer a Deere, but looked at a LOT of others. There was always something not quite there with the others. That goofy treadle peddle on Kubota and some others, short bucket depth on some loaders, control positions, etc.
The only one I considered for any time was the Massey GC1720, but I wanted something with more ground clearance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I’ve been all over the place in this regard since we bought our place in 2015. Right before closing on the house I looked at Kubota and Deere. At that time the Deere 2 series didn’t have auto-connect so things were more equal between the two. Shortly after we bought the house my truck started having issues and a few more surprise expenses came about. My uncle offered me his 1948 Farmall Cub to use for mowing and plowing. It didn’t run but I decided to use it as a learning experience. A learning experience it was, and I got her going reasonably well. Around 2017 I started looking at tractors again and was contemplating a 3025E. I wanted a loader and was thinking a 3pt mower would be a nice backup when the cub gave me trouble. Not long after getting a quote from the dealer my wife’s car took a crap. We bought a Jeep for her and put the tractor on hold. Then 2 weeks later she’s pregnant, and the tractor went to existing only in dreams...

Now it’s spring 2019. A tractor really isn’t even on my radar.

I was mowing with the cub one day and it just quits. I have no idea why. I tried for about two weeks to get it back running, but when you spend most of your day chasing a walking/destroying 10 month old around the house you don’t have much time to work on a 70 year old tractor. I made the last payment on my car and went straight to the Deere dealership.

I did not buy a Kubota because I wanted auto-connect. I also didn’t want that silly treadle pedal. I also don’t even think they make an equivalent tractor to the 2025. I considered Massey and Mahindra, but I’ve really always wanted a Deere. I run Deere tractors at work so I’m very familiar with them. Our 5200 at work has over 5k hours and the 4520 is pushing 4K and they are both reliable as if they we brand new.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you grow up listening to the old 2 cylinders working the neighbors fields and learning to drive your grandfathers 520 while bailing hay, it gets in your blood.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I picked a John Deere tractor for two reasons. Dealership distance and available inventory. John Deere by far has more dealerships in my area than all the other brands combined. There is one rinky dink Kubota dealer close by that had no scuts on their lot to look at, test drive or anything like that so I scratched them off my list. Other brands are over 100 miles away. I already liked the 1 series so that was that as far as considering anything else. As far as entry level riding mowers, I picked a John Deere hoping in the future I would still be able to get parts.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
When I decided I wanted a CUT, I sent emails to local dealers for Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Mahindra, Cub Cadet/Yanmar and Kioti. For each email I specified one or two models and asked for additional info, availability and rough pricing. I knew pretty much nothing about any of them and wasn't wedded to any.

Of those, I only got responses from the Deere and Mahindra dealers. The Mahindra estimate was $200 less than a comparably equipped Deere. The Deere dealer was closer so I went there first. The sales guy was pretty adamant that we were going to work out a deal and he wasn't interested in letting me leave until we did.

And here I am.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Rhino ,Mahindra Branson,bla bla bla..Have all come and gone from My area.

On the main N/S freeway ..I-5..is littered with the no name crap. Most are intertwined with a cargo trailer sales outlet.

Somewhere theres a Massey dealer but..Where???..Might be 1 in a 300 mile radius.

Just saw a new dealer in Canby ,OR...I swear I saw Mc Cormick on the "new" line of compacts..wtf. These have to be rebadged crap or are they??..Anyone heard of a New Mc Cormick??

Ohh ..there was Kioti...they still exist in the far NW corner of Oregon...I suspect they will push them off the dock for reef rehabilitation if they can't dump them on CL. They are sure trying hard.

In the end...Nearly the Entire Oregon JD Inventory is now owned by 1 company ( Pape"). Is this a good thing? idk

I liked the independant dealer program vs the Monopoly.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
In 1984 I purchased my first garden tractor. It was a Ariens GT12 with a 48" drive over, pto driven mower deck. In 1994 after we started mowing a couple more acres of ground, I decided I needed a larger mower to get the mowing done faster. I wanted an Ariens, but they were no longer available new or used. I started looking at other brands. It came down to John Deere being the only garden tractor with a pto diven deck I could find at the time. I bought a used JD 425 AWS with a 60" deck. My mower tractors have been green & yellow since then.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
one example..... family bought a couple of 4440s back in late 70s........10 yrs and 10k hrs later sold one for more than paid for it......still have the other still in use.
Exactly :good2:

My FIL says his only regret when we had the farm was not owning all green, he sold the 2955 for almost exactly what he paid for it and has had more offers than anyone can count for his 2555. We did sell the White 105 but nothing close to what a JD would bring, and nobody wants the 2-85. That's fine though, I like that one.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
At home I grew up on a Wheel Horse. During summers off school I would go to my Uncle’s farm for a couple of weeks ever year. Huge farm, one of the biggest in Michigan for years. John Deere was the only brand he had. He bleed green, even had John Deere snowmobiles. He did have the two Oliver’s that he started the farm with but he had nothing but JD after them. So obviously JD was instilled in my blood at a young age. Had garden tractors when I bought my first house. Then when moving to current location I have/had of coarse JD.
Forward to now I need a bigger tractor and am trying to stay green. Will see what shakes out, but even if the new tractor isn’t JD there will always be green in shed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
After looking at every brand in my area it was down to Deere or Kubota. The 3 factors were size, lift capacity and the little lady didn't like the Kubota when she tested it. I don't have that much land. But I use the forks a lot. The 2025R gave me more lift for it's size. And I like the bigger tires for ground clearance with the small frame. No BX has the bigger tires or lift capacity it has. The next one up has less features and is too large for my preference. The little lady didn't know why she didn't like the orange machine when she tested it. But she didn't. She wanted the Deere so it was all around the best choice for us. She never even tried to drive my old tractor because it had a manual transmission and no power steering. She will move stuff around with the forks and use the bucket for a wheelbarrow. She won't mow with the brush hog. She will mow with the old JD L110 though. I bought both Deeres from the same salesman 14 years apart. The old L110 has been mostly trouble free so that kinda helped with the choice as well.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
At home I grew up on a Wheel Horse. During summers off school I would go to my Uncle’s farm for a couple of weeks ever year. Huge farm, one of the biggest in Michigan for years. John Deere was the only brand he had. He bleed green, even had John Deere snowmobiles. He did have the two Oliver’s that he started the farm with but he had nothing but JD after them. So obviously JD was instilled in my blood at a young age. Had garden tractors when I bought my first house. Then when moving to current location I have/had of coarse JD.
Forward to now I need a bigger tractor and am trying to stay green. Will see what shakes out, but even if the new tractor isn’t JD there will always be green in shed.
Have you come any closer to making a decision?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
When I decided to get a tractor, I started with the idea that I'd get a basic, used Kubota. I used to work for a Kubota dealership back in 1980 when I was in high school. The more I looked the more I started assessing my needs and decided that I needed bigger than first thought and that a FEL would be nice. I started talking to my neighbors across the street (they're farmers) and they bleed green - to the point that they both have a JD flag flying right below the Stars & Stripes on their flagpoles!

They pointed me towards a used one being sold by a guy they knew, but no FEL. I kept looking and even considered Kioti along with Kubota, but the dealers were far away. I kept looking at (and leaning towards) Deeres - partly because I didn't want to have trouble with an orange tractor and then have my neighbors shake their heads and say "you should have bought green!" :laugh:

Finally found my 3520 at a decent price at the local dealer. Pulled the trigger and never looked back. :good2:

My initial budget when I started looking was about $5k. The first green tractor I looked at was a used 2305 with MMM and FEL. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere around $9k. :flag_of_truce: Then I thought more about what I wanted to do with it and decided a 2520 might better suit my needs. Hmmm, somewhere around $15k. :flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce: Then I found my 3520..... and dropped $19k on it! :laugh: :flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine all began when I was in my early teens mowing our family lawn on a Roper tractor my dad had bought new. Neighbor across the street had a craftsman and then a Snapper. Other friends had craftsman(s) and simplicity(s). I got to try them all out. And then my one next door neighbor had a JD Deere LX170. I had to rebuild the trans (as an early teen) on the Roper a few times and the engine ran like crap. Craftsman guys went through a few tractors and same with Simplicitys. The guy with the Deere never had any problems. He had that same tractor the whole time. I used to love borrowing if when the Roper was down. It mowed and drove amazing!!
That being said fast forward 15 years or so when I bought my own house and I had to go Deere. Bought an LX 176. I did everything with that thing including Snow Plow and off road in the woods. Sold it around 12 years later for basically what i bought it for + a little more for the snowblower. ALSO - the old neighbor with the 170 gave me it for free as he had not ran it in years (paid someone to mow lawn). I changed the oil, filled up the tires, flushed the gas and it ran mint. Sold it and made some money off it too. Now i have the 1025r and absolutley love it.
I buy for Quality, longetivity, service, resale value and reputation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Have you come any closer to making a decision?
Not really. Currently just on hold. I keep looking but not ready to make the plunge money wise. We have been doing a lot of projects since I retired around the house. Been spending a lot of $ which we needed to do. You know just catching up on things now that I got time, furnace/ac, hot water heater, new garage doors, etc. Plus we have tuition that went up again for youngest college, but only a year left of that and she’ll be done. I’m just kinda holding status for now. The 4010 is plugging away and we are baling 4x5’s and the 790s are handling just fine. It’ll happen just not sure when and not sure of brand, new or used.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts