Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Often I’ll see a 5 series as I drive past my local dealer and they have front tires that are 2/3 or more the height of the rear tires. But it seems like almost any other JD (until you get 7 series plus) the front tires seem < 1/2 the height of the rear. Even many of the 5 series from what I see on Deere’s site have the more typical front to rear ratio. Is there some reason that the 5 series can be such an outlier? Why wouldn’t they put taller front tires on the other models? Seems like it would be better for ride smoothness, ground compaction and traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

Reactions: mjncad and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Tall front tires, from my experience,,,

have a negative impact on turning radius,,,
but they
have a positive impact on flotation.

With tall front tires, I seldom have to use the 4WD feature of this tractor,,

·
Premium Member
13,874 Posts
Unsure if it is just the 5 series or not, I don't look at them often on line. But I do know the 5 series has literally dozens of different configurations for all sorts of specialty operations, I would guess because the 5 series is really a nice size tractor that is capable of many different applications.

Reactions: Jamone

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones you are seeing with small front tires are likely 2WD models - vs. 4WD models.

View attachment 645110

View attachment 645112
Nah, look at most 1, 2, 3, 4 series and their front tires are nearly the same ratio of front to rear as the 2wd 5 series and those are all 4wd.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
I was expecting something like this to be posted :laugh:

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you look at the layout of the front axle on the 4wd 5 series and the IH 534, the axle is straight across, like an automotive 4wd axle. There is no axle offset like you see on the smaller tractors.

The axle has fewer moving parts, weak points that could be prone to failure when you start to get into higher horsepower and torque that you are starting to see in the 5 series.

Dave

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I used to rent a carriage house on a horse property for about ten years. The landlord owned a 5 series among other toys and I used to love taking that thing through the woods when I was cutting up downed trees for firewood every year.
After getting used to it I was kind of startled to see how many other tractors had such small front tires.
We lived in a river valley with long eroded glacial topography and I still had to be darned careful with that tractor to not tip it over, just a couple scary moments...

·
Premium Member
13,874 Posts
I think people need to remember that the 5 series is also an AG tractor, not a compact utility.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think people need to remember that the 5 series is also an AG tractor, not a compact utility.

Like you said the 5 series is a ag tractor, and like town manager said, to have the strength of the front axles they have made them straight across and not off set. To get the clearance you need a larger rim and tire for the height.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts

:bigthumb:

The real question should be:” why are the front wheels so small on compact utility tractors”
“Real” loader tractors have front axles that can take almost, if not all, of the weight of the tractor and the FEL load—close to the rating of the rear axle. They make the front wheels just a shade smaller so you have a workable turning radius.

CUTs have much smaller front axles, and if you look at the axle ratings, you will find that we are quite often overloading them.
But they sure turn short!

·
Registered
234 Posts

This. The series tractors lower than the 5 series are tractors that are intended to have R4 tires that you may can option with R1 tires, where the 5 series are tractors intended to have R1 tires that you can option with R4 tires.

Also the fact that they are so awesome! But really they rock the same size front tires as most of their direct competition like a Kubota M series, MF 2600 series, Case IH/NH Farmall A and Workmaster tractors, etc.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts