Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda stumbled into taking an X590 home yesterday. I wanted an X570 but my dealer had a 2017 leftover and the deal was insane, so here I am. I didn't really research the decision, since I was looking for a 570, but the 590 is the top of the line, which is why it surprised me when I learned that it didn't have liquid cooling, like the X540 of old. Instead, they've gone with an EFI and added some power.

Anyone know why they did this? Liquid cooling engines are supposed to last a bit longer because they run at a constant temperature once warmed up. Given the choice, I'd rather have EFI than liquid cooling, but it would have been nice to have both.

·
Premium Member
7,505 Posts
No idea why, except maybe to move you up to the x7xx series. :laugh:

A little off topic, but to get the 6.2L engine in my Silverado, I also had to buy the top of the line (at that time) LTZ package, leather, heated seats, memory seats, power adjust pedals, rear backup alarm, power fold mirrors, and probably other things I am forgetting.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
There are a few reasons and here is what I given By a Friend from Deere

X540 when Introduced has some of the same cooling Issues that the 345 Had But Had Been fixed By Kawasaki during the Later 345 & GX345 Run. But those Issues Pooped Up again In the Beginning of the X540's Life.

With the Introduction of the X530 Sales Numbers really dropped On the X540. The X530 was actually out selling the X540 the Last few years of Production

The Price of the X540 It wasn't Much to Jump up to X700 or X710 and Looking at those Models a Person may think it would be Nice to Have EFI as well so they were Jumping to the X720 & X730

Customer feedback was another reason. A Majority of the Feedback was "Most didn't Care if It Had LC or Not". Keep In Mind these Type of forums only represent a small Percentage of the Buyers On the Market. While Most May like the LC here. That wasn't the feedback Deere was Getting from worldwide sales

Feedback & Price were another Killer On the 355 & GX355 Diesel by the time of the GX355 it was a $800.00 difference with a X475 Models. You got More Tractor giving up the Diesel . So sales Number Just were Not there for the Deere Bean counters to continue a Diesel In that size of Garden tractor worldwide

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
In real estate it's , "location, location, location".

In selling tractors and most everything else it's, "marketing, marketing, marketing".

And don't forget the age old, "dazzle 'em with footwork"!

Which explains nicely why no matter what brand one buys of anything there will be a variety of choices most of which won't make that much difference in performance but will COST. :laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
me too

I was shocked also when I starting looking for a replacement tractor to my GX345 I wanted a newer version of the same tractor. I read they had problems well I never did. I did, however, put a ton of hours on my 345/gx345 over the years. I said no liguid cooling IMO they are trying to mask the EFI as another way of making the tractor last longer but will it. I guess we will find out down the road if we start seeing a bunch of them with over 2000 hours on them. I was not shelling out $7000. plus for a non liquid cooled tractor, I asked why can't I have both liguid cooled and EFI so that's the direction I went.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kawasaki discontinued the vertical shaft FD series so no more FD731V. Deere marketing only wanted to use Kawasaki engines so Kohler was not an option. Marketing research determined that if people couldn't have a liquid cooled engine EFI was the second best option.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I gotta tell you though, the EFI is awesome. It's not about starting or fuel efficiency for me (though those things certainly help). It's about POWER.

I had an X540 loaner for about a week last year while my dealer did some warranty work on my 1025R(nothing serious, just the diff lock got a little chewed up). Good machine, didn't notice any difference between it and the X570 I used to own except power steering, which was nice. But this X590...holy ****. Neither the X570 nor the X540 were capable of what I call "deck hogging," which is driving into a hay/weed field with waist high grass. They bogged down and stalled. Not this guy. This guy plows through like he thinks he's a subcompact.

Also, this tractor's RPM does not drop when it's mowing heavy grass uphill, unlike the 1025R (and my old X758). The tractor slows down a bit, but the engine seems to keep on going steady. A lot of this has to do with the weight of the machine, of course, but a lot of it also has to do with the EFI and the governor. It maintains a higher uphill speed than either of the two aforementioned machines.

Like I said, it would have been nice to have both LC and EFI, for theoretical longevity, but given the choice, I'll take EFI any day. The difference is very very noticeable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2009 X540 and a 2016 X590. Although the 590 is a great machine, I still like my old 540. She keeps on truckin' or should I say tractoring.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2009 X540 and a 2016 X590. Although the 590 is a great machine, I still like my old 540. She keeps on truckin' or should I say tractoring.
Yeah, they X540s are really nice. Almost the same, really. I enjoyed the time I spent with my loaner. So quick and nimble compared to my 1025R. That experience, plus owning an X570 briefly, is what made me decide to get an new 500 series to supplement my subcompact.

Have you done a power comparison between the two? See which one quits first in the heavy stuff? Or slows down more mowing uphill?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find that power wise they are about equal. Maybe giving the edge to the 590. The only difference I've noticed is the 590 runs at a higher rpm than the 540 and mows a little smoother.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
I find that power wise they are about equal. Maybe giving the edge to the 590. The only difference I've noticed is the 590 runs at a higher rpm than the 540 and mows a little smoother.

If adjusted properly they should both run about the same RPM. According to the Kawasaki website:

X540 - FD731V - 26HP @ 3600 RPM - 57.7 Nm @ 2400 RPM
X590 - FS730V-EFI - 25.5HP @ 3600 RPM - 54.2 Nm @ 2400 RPM

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The X590 has a computer controlled governor. Seems to make a difference compared to the mechanical controlled ones.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
While I'm gauging the rpm by ear, I forgot to take into account that my 540 is usually pulling an MC519 collection cart and driving a blower. The 590 is generally mowing. So under load it would sound slower.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The X590 has a computer controlled governor. Seems to make a difference compared to the mechanical controlled ones.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
It totally does. Maybe power isn't the right word, but whatever it is, the X590 feels like a much more powerful machine and can handle higher mowing loads. It feels (and acts like) a 1025R in terms of power/torque when mowing. And sometimes feels even more powerful. Again, this is only mowing/heavy grass loads. Same size deck on both machines, same cutting height.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
And don't forget the age old, "dazzle 'em with footwork"!
I thought It was if you can't insult them with intelligence, baffle them with bull****. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
As much as I'd like a new x590 the old 345 keeps chugging along mowing,tilling,and snow blowing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts