Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can remember having a few "shoe box" style portable cassette player/recorders over the years. Sony, Panasonic, etc. It seems that everyone made one. They all worked the same and most cost around $29-$40.

I was recently looking for one for an elderly relative to use and imagine my surprise when I saw the prices. The Panasonic model shown above now sells for $269 on Amazon. Sony units sell for similar prices. Since when does cheap consumer electrics INCREASE in price ten-fold? Sure, there are now tons of no-name Chinesium units that sell for $20-$25 and have USB ports for hooking to your PC but they all have terrible reviews and appear to be mostly junk. The one feature that they all appear to fail miserably at is recording to a cassette tape. Imagine that.

How on earth could a basic portable cassette player that runs on (4)C batteries now cost close to $300? It wasn't too long ago you couldn't give one of these away.

Why didn't someone tell me? I would have stocked up on these back when they were a dime a dozen and they would now fund a retirement.

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Simple Supply and Demand, would be my guess. If you had a stock pile of them @ $300, you'd be rich.... in cassette players/recorders.
Used market on Ebay?

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts
I can remember having a few "shoe box" style portable cassette player/recorders over the years. Sony, Panasonic, etc. It seems that everyone made one. They all worked the same and most cost around $29-$40.

I was recently looking for one for an elderly relative to use and imagine my surprise when I saw the prices. The Panasonic model shown above now sells for $269 on Amazon. Sony units sell for similar prices. Since when does cheap consumer electrics INCREASE in price ten-fold? Sure, there are now tons of no-name Chinesium units that sell for $20-$25 and have USB ports for hooking to your PC but they all have terrible reviews and appear to be mostly junk. The one feature that they all appear to fail miserably at is recording to a cassette tape. Imagine that.

How on earth could a basic portable cassette player that runs on (4)C batteries now cost close to $300? It wasn't too long ago you couldn't give one of these away.

Why didn't someone tell me? I would have stocked up on these back when they were a dime a dozen and they would now fund a retirement.
Wonder what the price of a buggy whip is now days. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Wonder what the price of a buggy whip is now days. :laugh:
Did you lose yours AGAIN?!?

You’re gonna need to tie string to all your stuff and your belt....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well because just about nobody wants one these days. Tech that is near end of life always goes way up in price. Because those people that want to hang on to the old/familiar stuff will pay more (to a point).

Why not just get a digital recorder that records either to internal memory or a SD card? You can get those at reasonable prices and will do the same job. Looking for one in the $20-30 price range is too cheap. Just compute inflation since those $30 tape recorders were new would put an equivalent price of at least $50 in today’s money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
5 years ago I bought a cannon printer for $100. It broke a couple weeks ago. I could have bought the new model for $100.00 but the same one was $200.00. Since I know how to use it for copying or scanning to a usb I paid it. I was happy that even though it is the same model it is a lot faster.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I didn’t know they still made them. I’m somewhat surprised you can even buy them without having to go to a second hand store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts