Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the 1025r have two fuel filters? Especially since one of them is a real, high quality filter and the other is one of those dinky little things you put on lawn mowers (the push kind)? Why does it even need that second one? What does it do that the first one cannot?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
452 Posts
My take on this: the small/cheap filter is mounted pre-fuel pump for the purpose of keeping the larger dirt items from being pulled into the pump. The opening on our tractor's fuel tank is large, and typically filled from a can...making it much more susceptible to having "dirt" enter it than a vehicle thats filled at an actual pump. The "better" filter is designed to service pressurized fuel just prior to it entering the engine.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Here is what I think happened:
When the JD designers/engineers came up with the idea for the tractor, they decided that the one large fuel filter was sufficient, and it was easy for the average Joe to change out. Then the JD brain trust said..."hey wait! If Average Joe can change out the filter himself without taking it to the dealer, we only make $ on the part, not on the labor". To make up for that, they decided to add the extra filter for the extra revenue. AND they made it a giant PITA to change out, increasing the likelihood of the Average Joe to bring it in to the dealer. That my friends is what they call a win-win for JD! :laugh:

·
Registered
223 Posts
My take on this: the small/cheap filter is mounted pre-fuel pump for the purpose of keeping the larger dirt items from being pulled into the pump. The opening on our tractor's fuel tank is large, and typically filled from a can...making it much more susceptible to having "dirt" enter it than a vehicle thats filled at an actual pump. The "better" filter is designed to service pressurized fuel just prior to it entering the engine.
Totally agree. I would also venture to guess that the micron rating on the small filter is maybe 20, 30 or 40 and the rating on the larger filter is in the single digits.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The "second" filter is also designed as a fuel/water seperator.
Lots of machines have an inline filter right after the fuel tank. Most are a metal inline canister that doesnt allow the operator to see whats in it.
If you dont like where its located, then relocate it down the line and install an inline fuel shutoff where the filter is now. Problem solved and no need to visit the "stealership".

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I were to remove it completely, the only downside would be more frequent replacement of the easy to get to and inexpensive main filter? That doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
I like the thought of a inline shut off. That makes sense to me. Mine is still under 20 hrs so I haven't tried to change it

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most Diesel engines (not just JD ) have two filters,1 primary with a higher micron rating and a secondary filter with a lower micron rating.Diesel engines need a good constant flow of fuel to run properly IE high pressure at injectors. If you only had 1 filter you probably have to change twice as often to keep a constnt fuel flow.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most Diesel engines (not just JD ) have two filters,1 primary with a higher micron rating and a secondary filter with a lower micron rating.Diesel engines need a good constant flow of fuel to run properly IE high pressure at injectors. If you only had 1 filter you probably have to change twice as often to keep a constnt fuel flow.
Considering how easy the main filter is to replace, wouldn't that be preferable? I would rather replace that four times than replace the other one once.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
Considering how easy the main filter is to replace, wouldn't that be preferable? I would rather replace that four times than replace the other one once.
yeah that's all very true--but.... wait until u have to replace ur injection pump, or who know's what else maybe from throwing that little itte bittte filter away. if i had a 1 series, i think i might think about moving it somewhere else-maybe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im still new and learning on these tractors but do have experience with hydraulic, water, air, and gas combustion engines. I do however have friends with lots of diesel experience. I've heard lots of horror stories about expense, time, and labor troubleshooting heavy equipment and diesel trucks. I know with other systems you can't have too much filtration until it leads to restriction. Yes it may be alright for long a long time but its the long term you worry about. Its the question of wear and tear and second guessing when things break down that sucks.

I dont know how much an injector pump and injectors cost but I know everything for diesels are more expensive and modifying filter setup may void warranty. I think your machine and what you do is your comfort level. I for one am a stickler for clean and would rather put a second filter in parallel or relocate then delete a filter.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
John Deere did not design this system,, it is a Yanmar design.

The translucent thing is not a filter,, it is a water separator.
the water separator keeps water from getting to the fuel pump.

The black thing is the fuel filter.
The fuel filter cleans pressurized fuel.

I like the system.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

You can never have too much filtering of Diesel fuel. The larger Diesels I have worked on some have 3 and 4 filters. It's all about stopping any contaminates from reaching the secondary high pressure fuel injection side. The clearances there are very small and any contaminate will result in wear and/or failure.

Another aspect of the primary filter is that being paper, it's going to quickly plug solid if you have clouding/algae coming from the tank, if you eliminate that filter, your going to have to clean/replace more parts if you get into that situation.

If I owned a 1 series, I would put a petcock in place of the original filter then locate a larger one in line forward of the original location.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
John Deere did not design this system,, it is a Yanmar design.

The translucent thing is not a filter,, it is a water separator.
the water separator keeps water from getting to the fuel pump.

The black thing is the fuel filter.
The fuel filter cleans pressurized fuel.

I like the system.
Actually, there is a filter inside the water separator. In the 4105 operator's manual there are instructions for replacing this filter. It is odd that JD wants you to discard the filter each time as it is just a course plastic screen that can easily be cleaned. They have the same instructions in other tractor model manuals. What is really strange is that in the 2720/2032R operators manual they ONLY tell you to replace the fuel filter that is inside the water separator. There is no mention of the spin-on fuel filter. Weird, eh?

Below is the fuel filter maintenance section from the 4105 manual:

4105_fuel_filter.jpg

·
Registered
747 Posts
On the series 1 tractors isn't there a fuel pump after the in-line, but before the filter/water separator? The thing that buzzes when you turn on the key?

I don't know if I'd bypass the first in-line filter. Maybe move it to a more convenient location.. I'd bet that pump's not a cheap repair.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
On the series 1 tractors isn't there a fuel pump after the in-line, but before the filter/water separator? The thing that buzzes when you turn on the key?

I don't know if I'd bypass the first in-line filter. Maybe move it to a more convenient location.. I'd bet that pump's not a cheap repair.
Relocating a filter isn't a big deal if done properly but I would never recommend eliminating a filter. For what it is worth a new fuel pump is $100.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
Why does the 1025r have two fuel filters? Especially since one of them is a real, high quality filter and the other is one of those dinky little things you put on lawn mowers (the push kind)? Why does it even need that second one? What does it do that the first one cannot?
While those small filters may seem dinky, they do the job for which they were designed. The JD one appears to be 30 micron.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts