Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot imagine that the temps for me actually get low enough for me to have to use J20D. Seems to me that the J20C would work better especially with the hydraulics on the BH. Ridiculous how fast it leaks down. Since the manual says you can use it, can you use it, or is this just another one of their wonderful "typos"? They need someone that knows how to write manuals down there. Ugh!:gaah:

Before I buy the technical maintenance manual, are they written as badly?

·
Super Moderator
5,544 Posts
Manual states you can use the J20C,so there shouldn't be any issues if you switch. Pretty sure they use the low vis from the factory to cover all the bases so to speak.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I cannot imagine that the temps for me actually get low enough for me to have to use J20D. Seems to me that the J20C would work better especially with the hydraulics on the BH. Ridiculous how fast it leaks down. Since the manual says you can use it, can you use it, or is this just another one of their wonderful "typos"? They need someone that knows how to write manuals down there. Ugh!:gaah:

Before I buy the technical maintenance manual, are they written as badly?
The manual says you can use J20C if the ambient temperature is above 0 deg F. The chart in the manual is pretty clear (I think). J20D is factory fill and is a better fit for most of North America. If you don't operate your tractor in temperatures outside the range for J20C, then I would probably use the higher viscosity oil.
I think the tech manuals are written in a similar style to the operator manuals, but it's still the best source of repair information that you can get.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PSRumors,

That is exactly what I am saying. I think the light weight oil is to light weight. The worst weather we had, the tractor only registered down to 18F (was -20 outdoors). The viscosity on start up is the issue, then if at below 0 F would be the real issue, once it is running, even if outside, would not get down to 0F. I went with the J20D, but I am sorry I did. Next change will be to J20C. Even if I have to put a heater on the transmission pan in the coldest weather. (how often does it get that cold anyway) I think things would work much better with the higher viscosity fluid. Less leakage past the seals in the cylinders. What kills me is they use the low viscosity because of temps, but do not put the block heater in. Makes a lot of sense.

Bill

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I think the tech manuals are written in a similar style to the operator manuals, but it's still the best source of repair information that you can get.
I like to think of my JD manuals as "Equipment Bibles". Like The Holy Bible they contain some odd "parables" for which you must seek your own enlightenment here with "The Wise Ones"...:laugh:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the backhoe and loader on mine and I'm at the 50 hour mark. Can I switch to 20C with 20D in the attachments?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Like Psrumors, I switched also. I live too far south. The J20C is what is mostly stocked here. My little 1025 is happier for it. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the backhoe and loader on mine and I'm at the 50 hour mark. Can I switch to 20C with 20D in the attachments?
I have the same setup and I switched. I was thinking about switching back because it bugs me that the tranny dipstick is stamped "Low Vis Only" even though the manual states otherwise. But then the manual also states use only low vis also. It's ridiculous really. I don't know who writes that stuff, but it doesn't get much proof reading.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used the J20C when I did the 50 hour service. The steering is easier and the ground speed seems a little faster.
This seems counter intuitive, but I can't argue with it. On the surface I would think that a low viscosity fluid would promote a quicker response from the hydraulics. Just thinking out loud here..

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This seems counter intuitive, but I can't argue with it. On the surface I would think that a low viscosity fluid would promote a quicker response from the hydraulics. Just thinking out loud here..
Well, it may flow quicker, but it will also flow around the seals quicker and easier, so it is counterintuitive. It is interesting to find out that the dip stick says Low Viscosity. Never looked at it that close. Will have to next time I pull it. Need to have the dealer come over and check the FBS on the FEL. Been putting him off, need to stop doing that. Will have to tell him to send the tech with the new valve though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts