Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put this in my driveway thread as it’s kinda related but not really. Mods if you want to move it feel free.

I grew up in a fairly small town and then when I got married moved to a smaller one. We have one traffic light. :)

Part of what I love about our little town are the smaller family owned businesses. The company that is doing our driveway is the type of business every business should drive to be.

First off they do the job right and it shows in their work. While they know that they won’t get people calling for them to come fix things they don’t mind because they are to busy to have to do repairs and such. They believe that if you don’t have the time to do it right the first time how will you have time to do it the second.

But that’s not the best part.

Years ago when we lived at our old house we had them seal our blacktopped driveway. The owners son was about 7 at the time and insisted on helping. This little man worked his behind off and it showed. When we paid the bill when they finished we made sure to give the son something as well because of how hard he worked.

Flash forward 11-12 years and they are at my in-laws putting a top coat of stones on my in-laws blacktopped driveway.

My son ran out to help them sweep and blow all the dirt off the driveway.

While we were standing around talking last night the owner walked over to my son and paid him for helping.

We told him that he didn’t have to and we were bringing up our son that it’s nice to help and not expect anything.

He told us that years ago a really nice couple (aka us) did the same thing for his son. And that he wanted to return the favor and do the same for our son. He told us that the night we paid his son meant the world to him and his son.

This is why I love living were we do. This is more of the norm and not the unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Great story, J3. Nice gesture by you and the contractor. I don't think people forget nice things that others do, especially in small towns.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
thanks

I was going to put this in my driveway thread as it’s kinda related but not really. Mods if you want to move it feel free.

I grew up in a fairly small town and then when I got married moved to a smaller one. We have one traffic light. :)

Part of what I love about our little town are the smaller family owned businesses. The company that is doing our driveway is the type of business every business should drive to be.

First off they do the job right and it shows in their work. While they know that they won’t get people calling for them to come fix things they don’t mind because they are to busy to have to do repairs and such. They believe that if you don’t have the time to do it right the first time how will you have time to do it the second.

But that’s not the best part.

Years ago when we lived at our old house we had them seal our blacktopped driveway. The owners son was about 7 at the time and insisted on helping. This little man worked his behind off and it showed. When we paid the bill when they finished we made sure to give the son something as well because of how hard he worked.

Flash forward 11-12 years and they are at my in-laws putting a top coat of stones on my in-laws blacktopped driveway.

My son ran out to help them sweep and blow all the dirt off the driveway.

While we were standing around talking last night the owner walked over to my son and paid him for helping.

We told him that he didn’t have to and we were bringing up our son that it’s nice to help and not expect anything.

He told us that years ago a really nice couple (aka us) did the same thing for his son. And that he wanted to return the favor and do the same for our son. He told us that the night we paid his son meant the world to him and his son.

This is why I love living were we do. This is more of the norm and not the unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That story is a great way to start the day
have a good day

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
That's a great story! Proven once again: What goes around, comes around.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Great story. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That’s awesome

·
Premium Member
7,516 Posts
When I was a youngster, my Dad was having fill dirt brought in for a project. The whole family was just getting in the car to go to the fair, when a dump truck pulled in our driveway.

My dad talked to the dump truck driver a few minutes, then driver walked to the car and gave of us kids a DOLLAR to spend at the fair!

·
Registered
114 Posts
AMEN AMEN! I just couldn't agree more with everything you've said. We've kept our boats on Lake Michigan for years and believe you NEVER EVER leave someone stranded on the water - people die out there. Any way, when ever there's an emergency call on the radio my wife and I would respond. So many people would want to pay us for our help. My standard answer was and still is, "you can pay me back for doing the same thing for someone else because one day it could be me". Thanks for your support in small towns.

PS we have 1900 people and don't have a stop n go light yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts