Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking at used series online and see I large amount of 50XXE models for sale used, many with low hours is there something to watch out for these?

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
If you look, there are large numbers of pretty much every model up for sale with low hours. In my area there are a ton of low-hour 1025Rs up for sale.

I haven't seen a whole lot of complaints or issues with the 5Es.

There are probably dozens of possible reasons but 2 I can think of off the top of my head:

It might be that people may have bought them and then decided it wasn't the right fit so they traded them in for something smaller or larger.

It could also be that they were leased and returned after the lease period. Deere was really pushing leasing to small businesses 2 or 3 years ago.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true on all accounts... been thinking of moving from my 4105 to something bigger.. the 5075E looked good... but still looking

If you look, there are large numbers of pretty much every model up for sale with low hours. In my area there are a ton of low-hour 1025Rs up for sale.

I haven't seen a whole lot of complaints or issues with the 5Es.

There are probably dozens of possible reasons but 2 I can think of off the top of my head:

It might be that people may have bought them and then decided it wasn't the right fit so they traded them in for something smaller or larger.

It could also be that they were leased and returned after the lease period. Deere was really pushing leasing to small businesses 2 or 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
14,116 Posts
I would probably agree with the lease theory, but also, with the introduction of the new 5R's last year maybe some are simply trading up. Just a thought

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes on the R series but for me I traded my 2032R for a 4105 (straight trade) and I don't miss any R features...

I would probably agree with the lease theory, but also, with the introduction of the new 5R's last year maybe some are simply trading up. Just a thought

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with the others also, and with my own trading up from a 5085E to a 5115R, After using my 5085E doing more work other than plowing snow and mowing i wanted more features on the R. I liked my 5085 and I could still be using it and it would be doing a good job. I just wanted to upgrade to the R. I plan on trading mine in 4-5 years.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The boat I am in is I want more HP, my 4105 does all I need, but 65 to 75 HP could get me into a bigger Bush hog, most of my work is bush hogging...

If I could get a better seat on my 4105 I might just stick with it LOL

I agree with the others also, and with my own trading up from a 5085E to a 5115R, After using my 5085E doing more work other than plowing snow and mowing i wanted more features on the R. I liked my 5085 and I could still be using it and it would be doing a good job. I just wanted to upgrade to the R. I plan on trading mine in 4-5 years.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I vote lease returns.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not owned or heard much about them but the 5045E through 5075E were made in India. Just in case that matters.

Reactions: Dave C

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a used 2011-2012 5093e with about 6200hrs on it and I've put on about another 400hrs. I spent several days dealing with freeing up turnbuckles, three point hitch parts, lubrication, minor electrical, seat & linkage problems as a result of poor maintenance but no evidence of manufacturer defects. This tractor came out of Florida and by the math/hours it was used pretty much 8 hours/day for about 4 to 5 years from the manufacture date. I am on the site today looking for air conditioning recharge recommendations and hope that all I need is 134r but we'll see. I'd give my experience a solid 7-8/10 but I really do not know what happened or was replaced during the first 6K hours. That's all I got. If I had the money I'd would go with the M but I' don't and this tractor worked within my budget and the work load is light; road grooming and rotary cutting running mostly in "E" mode. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I vote lease returns.
It is this. My local dealers will always have many 1/2/3 year old 5065E and 5075E units for sale with probably 400-1000 hours on them and they always have bald front tires. From what I was told is they're just units leased by large peanut farms that use them to pull wagons.

My 5075E has been very good so far. It's a 2018. I don't have a ton of time on it. About 72 to 73 hours. No regens as of yet. It's a strong little tractor. Has a nice weight and without the loader it's a very nimble machine for its size. Also visibility off it is excellent. From my understanding the most common mechanical issue they can encounter is issues with their brakes.

The 5E pieces are made in India at JD's Indian plant, (Not TAFE) but they are put together in Augusta, Georgia. I know a couple people who work at the JD plant in Grovetown. Unfortunately you will not find a modern tractor in this class made in the last 25-30 years (at least) that isn't a foreign made machine. So the 5E is more American made than any of its direct competition.

IMO the 5R series is not meant to compete with the 5E. Not even from a rich vs poor people standpoint. The 5R is a more serious AG machine. It has much of the technology found in the 6R/7R/8R series machines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but can't the 5R pretty much drive itself in a field? If you look at the weight of both models and their loader, 3PH specs, their tires, and just their features and amenities the E series is easily outclassed by the R series, but that's how it should be as their prices are nowhere near one another. Even a 5M is a noticeably better spec'd machine as far as weight, capability, etc. If you want to look at a tractor that competes with the 5E better than any other look at the Kubota M60 series. M5660 competes with the 5055E, M6060 competes with the 5065E, M7060 competes with the 5075E. They are very competitively matched in most ways.

BTW if you can swing it look at a 18 or 19 year model if you are looking at a 3 cylinder 5E. At their heart they are the same machine as the 15-17 models but their erogomics were greatly improved on for 2018. I was about to buy a 17 5075E until I sat on a 18 5045E and that made me decide to wait for a 18 75E. The 18's got a flatter floor, 20% larger operators area, 26% larger seat, handle throttle on the right side fender (which I love, but thought I would care less for) foot throttle moved out from under the brake pedals, more leg room from the loader control stick, 2 extra gallons in the fuel tank, etc. At least onthe open station models. Not sure about the cabbed models. They are very noticeable improvements though.

Introducing the New 5E 3-Cylinder Tractors - YouTube

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Someone gets a wild hair,, time for a new tractor,, low interest financing is just too attractive.

The guy wants new,, so,, bang, a nice used tractor is for sale.
Our local JD dealer had a TON of used last yeat, many on consignment.

The problem,,, no financing,, and the owner thinks the tractor is worth a fortune.

The salesman even told me, he could sell me a new one cheaper than the used one,,, when you factor in financing,,,

Not one used machine had sold in four months when I stopped by again,,,

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dad's buddy sold us his 2017 5065e a few months back because he wanted a tractor with a cab...so, he bought a slightly used 5115 (M or R...can't recall). My dad was telling me that he is regretting the 5115 now as it is too big...lol. He's one of those impulse buyers that's got the money to do stuff like that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wish I had the problem of my tractor being to big :laugh:

My dad's buddy sold us his 2017 5065e a few months back because he wanted a tractor with a cab...so, he bought a slightly used 5115 (M or R...can't recall). My dad was telling me that he is regretting the 5115 now as it is too big...lol. He's one of those impulse buyers that's got the money to do stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
We see a lot of lease returns here as well. There is a big tree/shrub/plant farm in the local area that leases a bunch as well as apple orchards that run them for a couple years and get new ones. One day going by my dealer near my work they had probably 15-20 either 4 or 5 series (didn't look that close) with factory cabs all lined up. They all had a number in the lower window from the previous owner to identify the machine. They have since spread them out to the other dealers in their chain. The biggest negative to me was none had FELs.

Here is an example. If you look at the background the photos were all taken at the same place. All have similar numbers on the door. All of them are now at different stores that are part of their chain. It is interesting that they were all different size 4R machines. I would say they are all very new and pretty low hours.

2018 John Deere 4066R - Compact Utility Tractors - Cannon Falls, MN

2018 John Deere 4052R - Compact Utility Tractors - Osceola, WI

2018 John Deere 4052R - Compact Utility Tractors - Turtle Lake, WI

2018 John Deere 4044R - Compact Utility Tractors - Hastings, MN

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
700 Posts
Was looking at used series online and see I large amount of 50XXE models for sale used, many with low hours is there something to watch out for these?

The loaders are improperly sized for the 5e series. I've seen a few horror stories, but nothing like the 2320 driveshafts.

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I believe we have a 240 loader...was that one of the ones that had issues? I'm new to green tractors and haven't done much research on them.
Originally Posted by firemachine69
The loaders are improperly sized for the 5e series. I've seen a few horror stories, but nothing like the 2320 driveshafts.

:munch::munch:

Whats the deal with these loaders.....?

and yes I don't yet know how this multiquote thing exactly werks...its an experiment of sorts but I am curious about the loader therory.
D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts