Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo of a neighbors yard. He has a x4?? with the all wheel steering. I have watched him and his kid both step on the mower deck getting on and off the tractor. The first time I saw him doing this, I STRONGLY discouraged it......explaining the huge negatives which accompany such behavior. I even pointed out the "NOT A STEP" decal on the deck and explained how it will get knocked out of level.

He noticed that I get on and off my ExMark Lazer Z Zero turn by stepping on the deck. However, my deck is DESIGNED to be stepped on and in fact, it has a metal, non skid step plate mounted on the deck just for that purpose. I showed him the difference and explained that the decks are suspended in very different ways on the two machines.

Well, apparently my advice hasn't been heeded. Here are two photos which demonstrate what happens.........

IMG_20180508_120017743.jpg

IMG_20180508_120025655.jpg

I took these photo's today while driving past in my tractor. There was a couple of other photos' I took which show EXTREME scalping and the cut is so uneven I bet it is 2" different left to right. But in those photo's, it shows the front of the house with the address so I can't post those in order to "protect the identity of the crooked cutting party".......:laugh::lol:

The tighter the turns around objects, the worse the height disparity and there is actually scalping by the outside edge of the deck on every tight turn. When they mow a tight circle around any object, the entire outer edge of the deck is scalping the lawn.

I really hate to see someone spend thousands of dollars for a decent lawn tractor and on their lawn upkeep and then scalp the daylights out of the lawn along with every single cut is very crooked and noticeable, because of the deck being so out of level now.

These people also have a lot of rolling lawn and the cut really shows on every high point. The deck is really out of level when they are turning, the tighter the turn, the worse the cut. Another neighbor asked me "What's wrong with "so and so's" lawn?" so I drove past to see. The deck being very un-level is part of it and I wonder if the rear tires are inflated correctly as the tire marks are also inconsistent. In fact, in person, it's so noticeable that I wonder if something isn't broken on the deck mount or suspension of the tractor.

I hate to go knock on the guys door and say "Hey, let's take a look at your tractor mower deck together" to try and help the guy out, but short of him sending it back to the dealer, I doubt anything is going to change. I can't imagine he is happy with the end result.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Those two pictures that show the "high and low" cutting areas, may actual be caused my a outer blade being dull or bend down a bit. Besides, why would one put their foot on the mower deck on a X4-- series and the other foot of the foot rest, and take the foot of the mower deck and put on the foot rest and the other foot to get on the tractor seat. Try that some times and see what happens. I have John Deere 345, and I get on my tractor on the left side. I put my left foot on the foot rest and step up and swing over into the seat. On my John Deere Z710A Ztrak, I have a rubber step pad glued to the front of the left side mower deck that I step on to get on the tractor seat.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Go give him a hand Sulley

I'll bet you are right about tire inflation not being right. Setting all winter tires will lose psi even without leaks. One of mine would not register on my gauge ( gauge starts at 5psi)

For an x4XX the rears should be 6-10psi and the fronts 10-14psi. You will need a good low pressure gauge, which I bet you have and he doesn't. I run mine at the high end, since I know they will lose air over time.

Just correcting tire pressure may fix the cut if it was cutting OK before.

First do the tire pressure, then on flat surface level side to side, front to rear, then adjust the corner wheels.

Side to side leveling; there is a yoke that has pin with a hairpin connecting to the lift arms (one each side) You have to pull the pin to adjust the yoke (its on a threaded rod) up or down. I make sure the corner wheels are not supporting any weight. I put the key in my pocket (don't want anyone to start the machine to "help" me in some way), put the outer blade of the side I am working on parallel to the axle, measure both sides, and decide which side to raise or lower. I always check both sides after I adjust either side. Once level side to side, level front to rear.

Leveling front to rear; You really want the front slightly lower, 1/8" to 1/4" I shoot for 1/8". Put an outer blade parallel to direction of travel. Measure front and rear height. JD sells a nifty gauge. Use the large "U" shaped front hanger to adjust the front to rear height. Loosen the rear most nut on both sides. Tightening the front nut raises the front, loosening it lowers the front. Count turns or "flats" and do both left and right front nuts equally. Measure exposed threads to make sure both sides are even. When you have the front to rear "level" set, tighten the rear nuts of the big "U"

Finally set the corner wheels 3/8" to 1/2" off the ground Book says 1/4" to 1/2", but I think 1/4" is too close :hi:

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
Sulley Bear--i bet if he's stepping on the deck, without it sitting on the ground, he wore the pin uneven in the lifting yoke, that Zebra 5 was talking about.

:unknown:how do i know-well lets just say i might of wore mine out till i realized it:hide: so now i set the deck clear on the ground when i get on or off of it. saves going thru all that stuff that Zebra 5 posted about.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Glad you can't see my yard

Seeing all those concentric circles around the tree makes my head hurt. I can't stand it when I don't see straight lines when mowing.
I'm glad you can see my yard, particularly the back yard with bushes, fire pit etc. I too cut circles and if I don't it takes a lot longer.

Address withheld to protect the circle cutter

Treefarmer

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm glad you can see my yard, particularly the back yard with bushes, fire pit etc. I too cut circles and if I don't it takes a lot longer.

Treefarmer

I got rid of my tree, problem solved. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
My neighbor has an X590. Weeds and feeds his lawn every spring. Just when it gets lush and green he mows and scalps the living daylights out of it. Looks like he is plowing instead of mowing.
I have a neighbor who as soon as the grass gets an inch long he scalps it back down almost to the dirt. Some times there is so much dust and dirt flying that you can't even see him.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts

Treefarmer
Guilty as well:hide:

I don’t think stepping on the deck would be causing it to go out of level. Those decks are 400 pounds and they are bouncing over all kinds of terrain. That has to be a lot harder on the two hangers than somebody stepping on it. But it probably is out of level and the tires probably need more pressure and are squatting on curves

·
Registered
700 Posts

I don’t think stepping on the deck would be causing it to go out of level. Those decks are 400 pounds and they are bouncing over all kinds of terrain. That has to be a lot harder on the two hangers than somebody stepping on it. But it probably is out of level and the tires probably need more pressure and are squatting on curves

My 62D connects with the mechanical lift, I could definitely see it moving up or down from stepping on it. I think I might actually toss on some blue loctite once I have it leveled.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
When I got my X595 (used) I had a heck of a time keeping it level.After looking at it I found the yokes were worn.Between the PO stepping on the deck and the bouncing of the deck when not used at faster speeds it stretched the threads,so no adjustment would stay.After replacing the parts no problems.

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seeing all those concentric circles around the tree makes my head hurt. I can't stand it when I don't see straight lines when mowing.
You should see the pictures I didn't post.........Holy Cow......:laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Problem is, so is the person (people) stepping on the deck........Dad's got to be there or even north of that and daughter is not far behind, which is a real shame as she is maybe 17 to 19 years old..........

Actually, the "seat ballast" even leaning during the turns is likely having a negative impact on the cut as well.......

This guy has a snowblower he puts on the tractor and his wife runs the snowblower in the winter months. Whether it's mowing or snow blowing, they sure to use that all wheel steering. I bet they turn circles more often in their driveway than I do in plowing 19 driveways.

I also think a lot of the turning and circles are due to the reverse switch as that came up in our discussion once. I told him I would show him how to deal with it, but it would mean the deck running when they are backing up so they would need to be careful.

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 62D connects with the mechanical lift, I could definitely see it moving up or down from stepping on it. I think I might actually toss on some blue loctite once I have it leveled.
I posted these photos in another thread a couple of days ago. Talk about a deck bouncing and how they are suspended, I was mowing with my new ExMark Zero Turn and I noticed the striping wheel wasn't touching the ground. Interestingly, when I got off and looked at the mower, here is what I found......

IMG_20180507_141915086_HDR.jpg IMG_20180507_142220865.jpg

I was mowing my next door neighbors yard, which is very rough and one of the "bounces" caused the chain that supports the deck on the left rear of the deck to "Hang up". The second photo is the chain which hung the 2nd link from the bottom. It resulted in the tension on the other chains all being released, like shown in the first photo which is the right rear of the mower. Once I resolved the issue with the hung link, all of the other chains returned to their proper position.

At first, I thought about just putting the tip of a pry bar in the chain and "popping" the chain back in place, but with the weight on the chain, that wasn't going to happen plus the safety of releasing the chain that way wasn't appealing.

The fix was super easy, simply put a floor jack under the left side of the deck and jacked it up and used an impact gun and backed the nut off and "released the chain". I then lowered the jack and tightened it back up and checked each of the other hanger bolts and each one took about a 1/4 of a bolt turn to tighten. The lower bolts at the deck have flange heads on them for the chain tension where the top bolts in the chain at the lift arm do not.

IMG_20180507_150608876.jpg

But even that little bit of a difference, I could see in the deck cut.

This deck is actually designed to be stood upon to get on and off the mower. It has a non slip steel grate plate mounted on the deck where you step to get on it. With the large mower deck, there isn't any other easy way to get on the mower and getting off the mower without stepping on it, would be even tougher because the distance the deck extends out........ At first when I got it, I wondered if the deck would "sway" a little when stepping on it because of the chains suspending it, but nope. The deck is rock solid when you step on it. No movement of any kind.

I sent the picture to my friend who I bought this from and he said that was the first time he had ever seen that happen to one of these support chains. I bet I couldn't get the chain to hang up again like that while mowing if I tried..........:laugh:

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
All this talk of deck leveling reminded me I haven’t checked the level on mine since I first bought it 6 or 7 years ago. I bought the deck a few years after my tractor and did the first installation myself. The cut looks fine - don’t mess with something that works, right?

And stepping on the deck - with my physical limitations I had no choice for quite a while and hated it. I feel that the lift linkage (mechanical lift) isn’t that robust. Finally with the help of KennyD I was able to add a step to my tractor and don’t have to step on the deck any longer.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
so now i set the deck clear on the ground when i get on or off of it. saves going thru all that stuff that Zebra 5 posted about.

I have begged and pleaded for Mrs. CP and the kids to not use the MMM as a step to no avail. Maybe I should try this method when I park it in the barn. Thanks Jim!:good2:

I think I might actually toss on some blue loctite once I have it leveled.

I've been thinking this very same thing. I plan on leveling it tonight and will try it.:good2:

I don't know what it is, but my 60d on the 1026R has to be leveled at the start of and at the mid point of mowing season. I don't have the auto connect, maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe it's Mrs. CP and the kids stepping on it, but none of them are heavy? It's just "maintenance" for me. But I hate it!:banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Something I can think of here is if the deck is off the ground and not on the gauge wheels, when you step on the deck it could also make the opposite side lift and possibly the yoke is out of the cam it sits in (turned 90 degrees) and that's what's causing the out of level with his deck??? It's possible for sure. I had the X738 up on my lift getting is ready for spring a couple years ago and was lubing the arms etc, and noticed by pushing up on the lift arms the yoke was out of the cam, so it can come out,, rare I would say but anything is possible just like SulleyB's chain kinking up...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts