1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Ah the memories! I''ve been in both the postitions in that bottom/center pic. We used to change water line curb stop extension rods with that method. You do not want to hear, "Hey, here comes the coffee man...!" or "Whoa... THAT looks like a mean dog!" :laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Women rarly say things like: "Hold my Beer, and watch this".................. :laugh:
That might be the case with the average woman, but some of us are not the average woman!! :mocking:

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That last picture shows just how stupid that guy is, he could have still reached with one less table. :lol:
Thanks all , yea the last photo one less table for sure.. Just think what happens when he slips off ladder and lands on fence !

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah the memories! I''ve been in both the postitions in that bottom/center pic. We used to change water line curb stop extension rods with that method. You do not want to hear, "Hey, here comes the coffee man...!" or "Whoa... THAT looks like a mean dog!" :laugh:
Yes the memories, years ago , a major coal company needed a few phone lines between their ofc and supply loacation . Only problem it was a distance of over a 1/4 mile. The coal company would not allow our non union contractor on site and our construction group was busy. So our group was told to do the job. Three of us , engineered the job and decided to attach the wire to the conveyer belt (yes it was working) but we was allowed since we were going to attach the line along the outside of cat walk. When we got to the top it was a distance of several hundred feet over to the first silo . No problem , attached to first OK , we climbed up on it and started to attach wire to second. Only problem we had to attach line around the side of the silo to get wire to the second silo. Coworker decides I should hold to his blue jeans BELT LOOP. NOT HIS BELT. to hold him while he is stretching waaay down past his waist to tip of fingers to make the attachment with me holding him . Oh and we were guessing 100-150 ft in the air..

He's OK , we met for breakfast the other morning , we had a big laugh , If we would have had to explain that to upper management.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've done the 4th one many times. :hide:

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
I never personally saw him do it, but was told one of our (now retired) municipal utilities employees used to use an extension ladder in the bucket of their tallest bucket truck to change the bulbs in the local ball field lights. I have seen them use a utility bucket truck with a fire hose at a structure fire, very dangerous!!! If they'd hit a solid wall with the fire stream, it could turn that type of truck over easily! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Though I shouldn't admit to it publically, but for some of those pictures ... Been there ... Done that ... Still here. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I did a water main repair sleeve and service line re-tap on a 6" main that was suspended over a 20' wide 30' deep trench standing in the bucket of a Koehring 1066 excavator... Had all my tools, tap machine, roll of 3/4" copper, tapping motor and trusty O-L-D green Homelite generator right there in the bucket. Operator positioned me out next to the water blasting stripped out tap hole and I put the sleeve on (WITHOUT even getting damp!) then tapped a new corporation and reconnected the line. I never felt the least bit unsafe out there in that bucket either.

Today any OSHA "person" would pee his or her pants/panties just at the mention of such stuff. Things like this were done because they had to be done and it was a matter of course and part of one's job to react to situations and keep everyone's work going along.

These days I get gooey kneed on a 6' step ladder!:laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts