Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God morning my GTT friends and happy Easter
after much thought about the small fuel filter I figure out why I should keep it and why they put it on.
After owing my 455's that never had or needed this filter I got it !
We normally suck fuel out the top of a tank or pump it out, JD decided to let gravity feed and pull it with a pump rather than push with a pump now with the outlet and the tanks lowest point there is no where for sediment to sit and settle thus the need for the controversial filter.

I don't know if any know if else posted this if so I never read it , the job of changing it was not so bad after all.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Make the change even easier.

Go to tractor Supply and buy a couple of those $2 needle nose vice grip pliers. Use them to clamp off either side of the filter when changing. Simple cheap and clean.

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ended up using a universal shut off valve from TSC, and relocated the filter 5" further downstream. That filter change will now be effortless, without fuel running down my arm.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Go to tractor Supply and buy a couple of those $2 needle nose vice grip pliers. Use them to clamp off either side of the filter when changing. Simple cheap and clean.

Steve
Locking hemostat clamps work well too. You can get them on Amazon for less than $5.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Whatever you use to clamp the hoses, beware the teeth on the pliers or hemostats. They can abrade the hose over time.
The toy store (Harbor Freight) has regular hose clamps with no teeth. I am sure there are others out there too.
Just call me a tool junkie.

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
Whatever you use to clamp the hoses, beware the teeth on the pliers or hemostats. They can abrade the hose over time.
The toy store (Harbor Freight) has regular hose clamps with no teeth. I am sure there are others out there too.
This man speaks the truth. Wanna know how I know? Let me just say...been there, done that. And 5 gallons of diesel can make quite a mess. I caught most of it, but plenty of it dripped down my arm and onto the garage floor.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The vice grips or hemostats will work just fine ~ IF ~ you slip some snug fitting plastic or rubber tubing over the jaws first … :good2:

G

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The vice grips or hemostats will work just fine ~ IF ~ you slip some snug fitting plastic or rubber tubing over the jaws first … :good2:

G
I would suggest shrink tubing

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts