Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
JD parts show your P/N RE253000 is for 8.3/9.5-24" tires. P/N LVU17265 is for 11.2/12.4-24" tires

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello all, I was wondering if it would be possible to put wider 11.2-24 tires on the stock wheels that come on the 5075E instead of the skinny 9.5-24. Thanks
No, for two reasons. One, the rims are not wide enough for 11.2-24 tires. 11.2-24s take 10x24 rims while the 9.5-24s use W8x24 rims. Two, you will end up with the wrong wheel circumference ratio between your front and rear wheels, which will destroy your MFWD mechanism.

If you want wider front wheels, you MAY have some luck with using industrial tires. The 5075E also comes with 12.5x8-18 front tires which are slightly wider than 11.2-24s and the matching rears are 16.9L-24s. This has a rear:front rolling ratio of 1.32:1 vs. 1.36:1 for the ag tires which is pretty close, but your dealer would know if it's close enough as they sell both types and should know if the gears need to be different or if it's close enough they just swap tires and wheels.

·
Registered
2017 5075E
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. I appreciate it. I would like to stick with ag tires so it looks like I am stuck with the skinnies. I am fine getting larger rear tires as well so if anyone can think of a wheel/tire combination that would allow for the proper gearing/ wheel circumference please let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a new 5075E earlier this year and got Firestone Performer 85 Radials, 420/85r30(16.9r30) for the rear and 280/85r24(11.2r24) for the fronts. I've run a 5075E with the 9.5r24 and 16.9r28, and there is a big difference in how the radials perform, especially when the ground is a little wet. If you go with 11.2r24 you would have to get the 16.9r30 to keep the correct ratio, as far as I understand things. And yes, the front rims are different than what the 9.5r24s come on, and obviously the back rims are as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, for two reasons. One, the rims are not wide enough for 11.2-24 tires. 11.2-24s take 10x24 rims while the 9.5-24s use W8x24 rims. Two, you will end up with the wrong wheel circumference ratio between your front and rear wheels, which will destroy your MFWD mechanism.

If you want wider front wheels, you MAY have some luck with using industrial tires. The 5075E also comes with 12.5x8-18 front tires which are slightly wider than 11.2-24s and the matching rears are 16.9L-24s. This has a rear:front rolling ratio of 1.32:1 vs. 1.36:1 for the ag tires which is pretty close, but your dealer would know if it's close enough as they sell both types and should know if the gears need to be different or if it's close enough they just swap tires and wheels.
I have an email from Deere that addresses this. It recomends a radial 11.2x24 for a higher load rating and wider tire. It says the mfwd overspeed has been tested and approved for this tire. I swapped mine over to the 11.2’s about a month ago. It is a much better choice on soft ground or loader work. Im going to try and take a pic of the emails important parts.
Wood Gesture Font Tints and shades Cloud

I folded it over the bits about the larger 4 cyl models since this thread is about the 3 cyl midels.

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
I cannot find the edit button so I will add this. I did have to set my fronts out to the next wider position in the manual to prevent lugs from hitting loader with wheels turned all the way and front axle lifted all the way up to the stops.
Owner's manual for my tractors specify a maximum front axle tread setting for loader use. I have my tractors set at this width.
I set the rears so the overall width matches the front overall width. My thinking is if the fronts fix between trees the rears will too. If this is not a concern, set your rears wide for maximum stability. I know I give up some stability for fit in tight places.

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
I have an email from Deere that addresses this. It recomends a radial 11.2x24 for a higher load rating and wider tire. It says the mfwd overspeed has been tested and approved for this tire. I swapped mine over to the 11.2’s about a month ago. It is a much better choice on soft ground or loader work. Im going to try and take a pic of the emails important parts.
View attachment 799505
I folded it over the bits about the larger 4 cyl models since this thread is about the 3 cyl midels.
Good info, thanks for posting!

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
51 Posts
Owner's manual for my tractors specify a maximum front axle tread setting for loader use. I have my tractors set at this width.
I set the rears so the overall width matches the front overall width. My thinking is if the fronts fix between trees the rears will too. If this is not a concern, set your rears wide for maximum stability. I know I give up some stability for fit in tight places.
I did that with the rears before it got put into service. Even if not for the stability it improves the ride considerably and my fronts are still within spec for loader. 😜👍

·
Registered
359 Posts
Interesting, and good to know.

I will point out that while you "can not" option a 3 cylinder 5E to come with a 11.2"x24 front tire from the factory, you can get it optioned with a 16.9x30 instead of the 16.9x28 out back.

I know Kubota started offering some models of their M60 line to be optioned with a 11.2x24 front tire, but I think they also come with a 16.9x34 tire out back if you option a 11.2x24 up front. Traditionally those machines used a 9.5x24/16.9x30 combo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Excellent, thank you everyone! 4840450j,did you need to change the wheels as well? If so do you have the part number? Thanks again!
No. Sevrice guy inquired as to that for me and confirmed no wheel change was required. He also said that only that particular firestone tire was approved. Same as it says on the deere email.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will point out that while you "can not" option a 3 cylinder 5E to come with a 11.2"x24 front tire from the factory, you can get it optioned with a 16.9x30 instead of the 16.9x28 out back.
That is true but this may help explain it. My tractor along with enough other 5xxx’s wear out the fronts fast enough for deere to have already looked into it and this is the offered solution. I replaced mine at 297 hours. After looking at the front end to verify it was not at fault, my dealer went to deere with it. This is the only offered solution. No radial 9.5’s with heavier ply ratings were offered. This is what they told me to do to the tune of $700 out of my pocket.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That is true but this may help explain it. My tractor along with enough other 5xxx’s wear out the fronts fast enough for deere to have already looked into it and this is the offered solution. I replaced mine at 297 hours. After looking at the front end to verify it was not at fault, my dealer went to deere with it. This is the only offered solution. No radial 9.5’s with heavier ply ratings were offered. This is what they told me to do to the tune of $700 out of my pocket.
I'm certainly not claiming what you're saying is wrong, only trying to point out that you can option a 5E 3 cylinder tractor to run a 16.9x30 and a 9.5x24, because people are giving the impression that to work properly you need to use either 9.5x24 and 16.9x28 or 11.2x24 and 16.9x30. JD's options on wheel/tire combos seems to contradict that.

If Deere is saying to run a 11.2x24 up front and you're willing to spend for the upgrade then I say go for it. JD spec'ing a 9.5" front tire instead of an 11.2" is likely just a budget move anyway.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm certainly not claiming what you're saying is wrong, only trying to point out that you can option a 5E 3 cylinder tractor to run a 16.9x30 and a 9.5x24, because people are giving the impression that to work properly you need to use either 9.5x24 and 16.9x28 or 11.2x24 and 16.9x30. JD's options on wheel/tire combos seems to contradict that.

If Deere is saying to run a 11.2x24 up front and you're willing to spend for the upgrade then I say go for it. JD spec'ing a 9.5" front tire instead of an 11.2" is likely just a budget move anyway.
Smaller diameter tires may also have been specified to keep the turning radius from being too obnoxiously wide. The taller the tire with the same track width, the wider the turning radius as the steering angle must be decreased to keep the tires from scrubbing the hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to note with the 280/85r24, if you have a loader with the single point hydraulic quick connection, the tire scrubs the bracket in certain situations where I am turning and the axle articulates enough. I have my fronts set at 67 inches on center for reference. I don't know if the 9.5r24 scrub the same way with the single point connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is old. Anyone had unfortunate side effects from using 11.2x24 radials on front with 16.9x28 rears? I saw that the Firestone tire mentioned is 43.4 inch diameter. Assuming a Maxam 280/85r24 R-1W at 42.8 inch diameter would work too since it's smaller.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts