Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is (was) a bottlebrush tree. I used my FEL to dig out around it then hosed it down with water to get a good look at what I'm dealing with. I imagine a stump grinder would make short work of this but I've never run one before so I wanted to make sure it's the right tool for the job before I throw down the money to rent one.

Also, my local place offers not just daily rentals but also a 4-hour rental for a bit less money. It takes me about 25 minutes each way. Think I can do this job with a 4 hour rental? I haven't spoken to them yet so I don't know what the penalty is for returning equipment late but I'm sure it would cost more than just renting it for the day.

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Cut away all those radial roots and a stump grinder should do fine on the main section. Unless the price of a full day is too much to handle I would just go for the day. Especially given that you've never ran a stump grinder before. Best to give yourself some extra time so you don't feel stressed if it takes a bit to get the hang of it. It took me a stump or two before I was efficient with the one I rented.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Pictures don't always give the full story but it looks like you could cut that off below ground level right now and be done with it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I've cut the roots above the surface and sawed the top of the stump off. Ignore the cuts across the top, I was just playing with my new Echo chainsaw that I bought today. My crappy Poulan, which I already put a new carb on before, decided not to start and I'm done messing with it.

Cut away all those radial roots and a stump grinder should do fine on the main section. Unless the price of a full day is too much to handle I would just go for the day. Especially given that you've never ran a stump grinder before. Best to give yourself some extra time so you don't feel stressed if it takes a bit to get the hang of it. It took me a stump or two before I was efficient with the one I rented.
Sounds like good advice, I'll go for the full day rental as it's only another $32 or so more than the 4 hour.

Pictures don't always give the full story but it looks like you could cut that off below ground level right now and be done with it.
Yeah I was working on that but even with a brand new chain it's tough going. This stump must be made of diamond or something. I'll try again from the other side.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Alright, I've cut the roots above the surface and sawed the top of the stump off. Ignore the cuts across the top, I was just playing with my new Echo chainsaw that I bought today. My crappy Poulan, which I already put a new carb on before, decided not to start and I'm done messing with it.

Sounds like good advice, I'll go for the full day rental as it's only another $32 or so more than the 4 hour.

Yeah I was working on that but even with a brand new chain it's tough going. This stump must be made of diamond or something. I'll try again from the other side.
Running a chain saw in the dirt will knock the edge off the teeth in nothing flat then it won't cut. If you have a cordless sawzall, try that will a blade designed for demolition. It helps to dig a bit beside the roots and clean off as much dirt as possible. Cut small roots with an axe.

The stump grinder will take care of it but if it's less than a foot in diameter, I'd just work it out by hand and tractor.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not familiar with those particular trees, but in the northeast I would dig or pull a stump that looks like that. A backhoe, a push or lift with a loader, a chain or cable over wheel...

Or...dynamite! :)

EDIT: What Treefarmer said.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The problem with digging it out is it has a mess of roots underneath and I can barely get a shovel in there.
I came across this story in the LA Times about the removal of a bottlebrush tree. It sounds as if you could have written it.

I don't know anything about bottlebrush trees, and I hope they don't decompose and leave a deep hole a few years down the road. I live on a horse farm with pastures that were southern pine woods about 10 years ago. Not a month goes by that don't find a hole about 4 feet deep where the pine stump has decomposed and the soil has caved in. These are real horse and cow leg breaking holes.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I came across this story in the LA Times about the removal of a bottlebrush tree. It sounds as if you could have written it.

Lol. Well it IS being a pain in my rear... thinking at this point the stump grinder can take care of the rest. I'm gonna put crushed shell down in this area anyway so if the stump does rot and leave a hole it won't be a big deal to add more shell.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Or, if the stump is several feet from any buildings, you could try the cheapskate approach...
Drill a few holes in the stump, fill them with lighter fluid, place a bag of charcoal on top, and enjoy the bonfire!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I would build a fire on top on Saturday morning and let it go all weekend and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,959 Posts
Just dug out two evil stumps this weekend. Don't know what the second was but I was expecting to just scoop it out with 4-5" exposed, ground level trunk. Took three hours digging it out with the BH and had to use the sawzall method for the roots that ran too close to the road. I'd go with the burn it out route if I could.

Edit: My local rental place let's you take [rental item] for the day rate, and if you return it in less than 4 hours, they refund the difference. Can't hurt to ask. Definitely do as Treefarmer said- rent for the day, avoid the stress, stump grinders are no joke.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good advice, thanks. I just might try burning it out again. I did it early on but, as I already knew, it was way too green to catch and burn.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good advice, thanks. I just might try burning it out again. I did it early on but, as I already knew, it was way too green to catch and burn.
Put an old tire over it, half gallon of diesel and light it.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Put an old tire over it, half gallon of diesel and light it.
Only if you are in an area where neighbors aren't an issue. We can get away with a diesel burn here but tires are out. Too bad as a little diesel and a tire will get a brush pile going when nothing else will.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes...grind it out

·
Registered
598 Posts

Loppers for the smaller roots and a sawzall for the bigger and the stump. Chain saws don't do well in dirt.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sawzall... good deal. Supposed to rain the next few days, I'll try to get out there between rainstorms after work. I don't care if I get wet but electric power tools seem to not like that too much. Rain might ruin my cordless one and I ain't trying to win a Darwin award by using the corded one in a downpour.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tire and diesel fuel huh... I've used diesel before but never thought to use a tire. I bet that'd work awesome! With the black, nasty smoke that tires give off when burning someone may call the FD, not because they're being "that neighbor" but because they'd be like WTF... is my neighbor's house on fire! but I could do it at night to avoid that. However it's been real dry here lately and there are woods about 20 feet away soo... yeah, big fire not a good idea right now. Maybe after the rain this week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts