Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance, but I don't have a trailer with this style of ramp handy to check. Will a typical zero-turn front wheel (z920m) fall in the gaps of a typical slide in ramp on a car hauler?

My imagination says it won't work, but not sure. If it won't work, then what are you guys using to bridge the gaps if you have a similar situation?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
I doubt you will find many guys hauling ZTR mowers on car hauler trailers as most will use some form of landscape trailer. Since you stated you don't currently have this type of trailer what is your circumstance? Are you thinking of buying a car hauler for the purpose of hauling your ZTR?

Are you considering a car hauler with a solid deck or one with an open middle section and two rails?

Do you already own the Z920M? Are there any trailer places nearby where you could go and measure the gap between the rails?

I would also check the rear tire width as a ZTR is typically much narrower than an automobile.

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes it would typically fall in between the ramps. I have two trailers I use for hauling my landscape equipment, the small one has a large rear drop gate that doubles as a ramp. The other is a tilt deck car hauler.

Reactions: userjh160

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt you will find many guys hauling ZTR mowers on car hauler trailers as most will use some form of landscape trailer. Since you stated you don't currently have this type of trailer what is your circumstance? Are you thinking of buying a car hauler for the purpose of hauling your ZTR?

Are you considering a car hauler with a solid deck or one with an open middle section and two rails?

Do you already own the Z920M? Are there any trailer places nearby where you could go and measure the gap between the rails?

I would also check the rear tire width as a ZTR is typically much narrower than an automobile.
I have the 920m. I've been virtual trailer shopping for a while now but havent pulled the trigger on anything. Actually hoping for a one and done trailer that will also be capable of carrying the tractor. Debating between an 18'-20' utility style with ramp gate or solid decked car hauler since you can unload and load items from the sides, and gates knock gas mileage so hard.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it would typically fall in between the ramps. I have two trailers I use for hauling my landscape equipment, the small one has a large rear drop gate that doubles as a ramp. The other is a tilt deck car hauler.
I'm hoping to avoid having to get 2, if at all possible. To be honest, I was so hung up on the ramps themselves, the distance between the two ramps hadn't crossed my mind yet. Another wrinkle.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as a follow up....no issues with the equipment ramps and mower casters.

Reactions: clayh

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice looking trailer!

I have an 18' flat car hauling trailer. I put a ramp on it that was supposed to load my 2 - 930M's for transport. My wife is not a person who likes reverse in any vehicle so I built a 6 1/2' tall ramp full trailer width she can back down safely. Lift it up with one hand with the addition of Gorilla lifts and 2 - 120# garage door springs.

So last fall I bought the 3033R with loader, open station and pretty much every option plus Heavy hitch with 16 - 42# weights and the rear tires filled with 840# of beat juice.

Found out I must have over built the ramp as it doesn't even sag loading about 6000#s of tractor.

Gas mileage with 1500 Silverado dropped about 3 mpg with the rear sail.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm hoping to avoid having to get 2, if at all possible. To be honest, I was so hung up on the ramps themselves, the distance between the two ramps hadn't crossed my mind yet. Another wrinkle.

I think you may have misunderstood me, I can put my zero turn on either the small landscape trailer with the drop gate or the 20ft tilt deck car hauler. I only have two trailers as I have a small grass cutting business and I started out with just myself and the smaller trailer. Later I added a 2nd mower and thus needed a bigger trailer. I keep the smaller trailer around for when its just me going out but mostly use it for my SxS and dirt bikes now.

If you have other hauling needs such as a larger tractor or car then the tilt deck is a good option as it will do it all, but is more expensive and heavier to pull. If you just want something for your zero turn then a small single axle landscape type trailer with a drop gate will work great.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice looking trailer!

I have an 18' flat car hauling trailer. I put a ramp on it that was supposed to load my 2 - 930M's for transport. My wife is not a person who likes reverse in any vehicle so I built a 6 1/2' tall ramp full trailer width she can back down safely. Lift it up with one hand with the addition of Gorilla lifts and 2 - 120# garage door springs.

So last fall I bought the 3033R with loader, open station and pretty much every option plus Heavy hitch with 16 - 42# weights and the rear tires filled with 840# of beat juice.

Found out I must have over built the ramp as it doesn't even sag loading about 6000#s of tractor.

Gas mileage with 1500 Silverado dropped about 3 mpg with the rear sail.
Thanks. I did notice that this trailer doesnt hit mpgs much worse than the 8 footer with a gate. Amazing what a gate can do.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you may have misunderstood me, I can put my zero turn on either the small landscape trailer with the drop gate or the 20ft tilt deck car hauler. I only have two trailers as I have a small grass cutting business and I started out with just myself and the smaller trailer. Later I added a 2nd mower and thus needed a bigger trailer. I keep the smaller trailer around for when its just me going out but mostly use it for my SxS and dirt bikes now.

If you have other hauling needs such as a larger tractor or car then the tilt deck is a good option as it will do it all, but is more expensive and heavier to pull. If you just want something for your zero turn then a small single axle landscape type trailer with a drop gate will work great.
We have a small gated utility trailer, but it's too small for the mower. I wanted to make one do-it-all trailer purchase for whatever we may need to haul, mower, vehicle, tractor, landscaping material, longer lumber, etc. The mower and tractor will be hauled very infrequently, i hope only once or twice a year. Spent the weekend making solid wood removable sides using the stake pockets, so we have a larger psuedo-utility trailer as well. The mower casters working on the pull out ramps was icing on the cake, and a bit of a surprise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts