Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the headlights on my new x570 in preparation for snowblowing duty this coming winter. I was reading quite a bit about LED bulb replacement and then I came across an upgrade kit from John Deere (Halogen Headlight Kit - BM21289) which more than doubles the candlepower of the stock headlights. I'm assuming they will work with my X570 but does anyone have any actual experience with that setup?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Hmmm... my gut tells me that in this age of bright LED lights it seems silly to mess around with high wattage halogen bulbs. I see some sites show them as fitting the X500-series but the instructions don't mention that model. It seems to be an older kit. I have attached a PDF copy of the installation instructions.

The fact that it needs a shield to keep from melting the plastic would cause me concern. Also, since the tractor doesn't have a mirror like reflector the amount of light gained would be limited.

I recently saw a thread talking about a direct LED replacement that folks seemed to be happy with. It had a projector lens in front and relied less on the reflector in the hood. It might be worth checking out. Those LED bulbs cost less than this halogen kit.

[Edit: for some reason it won't let me attach the PDF]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... my gut tells me that in this age of bright LED lights it seems silly to mess around with high wattage halogen bulbs. I see some sites show them as fitting the X500-series but the instructions don't mention that model. It seems to be an older kit. I have attached a PDF copy of the installation instructions.

The fact that it needs a shield to keep from melting the plastic would cause me concern. Also, since the tractor doesn't have a mirror like reflector the amount of light gained would be limited.

I recently saw a thread talking about a direct LED replacement that folks seemed to be happy with. It had a projector lens in front and relied less on the reflector in the hood. It might be worth checking out. Those LED bulbs cost less than this halogen kit.

Thanks for trying with the PDF of the instructions, I've already downloaded a copy and compared the drawings to the headlights on my tractor.

I guess the reason I'm considering the halogens over the LEDs is because of the 75 vs. 32 candlepower difference. The photos taken to show the difference in brightness with the LEDs just didn't convince me- the color of the light given off was whiter but it didn't look like they reached out any further than the stock bulbs.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
I guess the reason I'm considering the halogens over the LEDs is because of the 75 vs. 32 candlepower difference. The photos taken to show the difference in brightness with the LEDs just didn't convince me- the color of the light given off was whiter but it didn't look like they reached out any further than the stock bulbs.

-Dan
If you are planning to use a snow blower this winter I would forget the headlights completely and get yourself a pair of inexpensive LED work lights and mount them directly to the snow blower housing either with bolts or magnetic mounts as many have done. They will be 10X brighter than the headlights.

Most of your headlight illumination is just going to light up the back of the blower housing. You need something farther forward and a bit higher.

Strong magnetic mounts work well as it allows you to easily reposition the lights as needed and at the end of the season you just pull them off and put them away.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you are planning to use a snow blower this winter I would forget the headlights completely and get yourself a pair of inexpensive LED work lights and mount them directly to the snow blower housing either with bolts or magnetic mounts as many have done. They will be 10X brighter than the headlights.

Most of your headlight illumination is just going to light up the back of the blower housing. You need something farther forward and a bit higher.

Strong magnetic mounts work well as it allows you to easily reposition the lights as needed and at the end of the season you just pull them off and put them away.
That's not a bad idea at all, I just took a quick look at Amazon and found something that looks like it will work. The magnetic base and cig. lighter power cord means I can add it to my tractor and use it for other things as well. I wonder if I can get a splitter for the power port on my tractor and have two plugged in?

LEMIL 48W 5D Lens LED Work Light 12V Spot Light Driving Fog Light Off Road Spot Beam Lamp Boat Light with Magnetic Base Waterproof Emergency Light for Truck SUV 12V 24V Searchlight - - Amazon.com

Looks like there are splitters available. I'll need to figure out if the tractor's electrical system can handle the load.

Amazon.com: CUZEC 1 to 2 Car Cigarette Lighter 16 AWG Cord 12v/24v Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter, Power Charger Adapter 2-Way Waterproof Socket Splitter: Automotive

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

[Edit: for some reason it won't let me attach the PDF]
It may be the same thread, but I never saw any decent shots from the seat of those replacements.

Im sort of (ok, no sort of to it) a flashlight nut, and have been playing with LEDs for quite a long time now. I dont build anything, just learn why things work the way they do with regard to actual output, beam shape, throw, etc.
What Ive learned is that for an LED to work properly, it must have its own specific reflector. Putting an LED bulb in a housing meant for an incandescent bulb never turns out too well.
Sure they look impressive from the front, but actual performance is never as good as the original.
That said, if those replacements do actually have their own lens or reflector assembly, they should work ok.

What surprises me most these days is that for things like tractors, why havent manufacturers gone to LED lighting? Deere offers options for the work lights on the 1 series and up, but thats just more out of pocket for those upgrading, and you get no credit for the lights already on the tractor.
Of course some LEDs are harsh too, and I much prefer them in the 5000K range instead of the higher range of most lights these days, and maybe thats why they havent done it yet.

I also agree that if the OP wants better output for Winter use, dedicated work lights are going to do the most good.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Looks like there are splitters available. I'll need to figure out if the tractor's electrical system can handle the load.
As long as you stay below what the power port is fused at you should be fine. I checked the operator's manual and there is no mention of the capacity of the power port.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would steer well away from any halogen headlight, regardless of brightness. Halogens generate tremendous heat, don't last as long as you may think, and are very costly to begin with.

A good number of us have gone to the lights at the link below. It took me less than 5 minutes to put them into my X580, and they're much brighter than expected. These lights are the equal to my high beams on my truck, and cheap enough that I bought two pair for a grand total of less than $40.

X590 Headlight LED upgrade

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would steer well away from any halogen headlight, regardless of brightness. Halogens generate tremendous heat, don't last as long as you may think, and are very costly to begin with.

A good number of us have gone to the lights at the link below. It took me less than 5 minutes to put them into my X580, and they're much brighter than expected. These lights are the equal to my high beams on my truck, and cheap enough that I bought two pair for a grand total of less than $40.

X590 Headlight LED upgrade

I didnt realize the bulb type used.

Certainly stay away from halogens. For one, as mentioned, they generate a ton of heat. Two, all that heat is from the light output, which is nice, except that it also draws a LOT more power than the standard 1156 bulb.
Thats the same bulb I have in the 318, and have been through SEVERAL different bulb types in search of more output.
Id say the stock setup on the X tractor is way better than a number of upgrades Ive tried on the 318.

Looks like Ill need to give these LED bulbs a shot though, as they look to have a lens on the end which should do wonders for actual output!

Incidentally, there is a guy who made LED bulbs specifically for the old 318 and similar 3 bulb setups, and they are nothing short of amazing. They are just a hair over $100 last time I looked, but everyone who has tried them swears by them.
Just looked...they are less than $100 now. I may just have to order a set!

Anyway, this is the guys site.
Tractor LEDs Home

·
Registered
661 Posts
I didnt realize the bulb type used.

Certainly stay away from halogens. For one, as mentioned, they generate a ton of heat. Two, all that heat is from the light output, which is nice, except that it also draws a LOT more power than the standard 1156 bulb.
Thats the same bulb I have in the 318, and have been through SEVERAL different bulb types in search of more output.
Id say the stock setup on the X tractor is way better than a number of upgrades Ive tried on the 318.

Looks like Ill need to give these LED bulbs a shot though, as they look to have a lens on the end which should do wonders for actual output!

Incidentally, there is a guy who made LED bulbs specifically for the old 318 and similar 3 bulb setups, and they are nothing short of amazing. They are just a hair over $100 last time I looked, but everyone who has tried them swears by them.
Just looked...they are less than $100 now. I may just have to order a set!

Anyway, this is the guys site.
Tractor LEDs Home

Good looking made in the USA work on the bulbs at the link, but by comparison to his pictures of the lights working at night I'll have to say that the bulbs we bought for far less are equal to or better. I'm not a fan of Chinese goods, far from it, but this is one case where common sense dictates the final decision. I bought 4ea (they sell in pairs) for just over $40. If I was going to spot deer I would probably have to use my tractor. (joking)

My son in law is a Sr. design engineer for a world wide lighting company, and very good at his job. I've given one of the bulbs to him to test.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
The trick to good lighting when using the snow blower is to get the lights as high above the blower as possible and not be in your line of sight. I mounted set of LED lights on a bracket designed to mount to round tubes such as on the front quick attach for hooking up the blade / blower.

Tractor supply sells a brand of lights with the round tube mounts separate. The nice feature about their set up is it is all plug and play. It has very nice water proof connections for the lights and a complete wiring harness with the relay, fuse, switch. You just need a ground and power source and you are ready to go. The battery right up front makes it very easy to wire.

It's helpful to get the lights at hood height or higher. When you lift the snowblower, the stock headlamps illuminate the back of the blower more than anything. These round tube mounts are designed for off road use and they hold tightly and stay in place. I have my lights angled about 15 degrees left and 15 degrees right as the lights I have still cover the center area plus it lights up the areas where headlights generally don't shine.

You can mount these light so they are the "Snow Removal Lights" and they stay right on the front quick hitch. Or if your tractor has a tubular hood guard, you can mount to that as well. They sell the round bar mounts of different diameter. With all the moisture of the snow, the water proof plug really helps keep everything working as you need it to.

Traveller Small 1 in.+ Tube Bracket at Tractor Supply Co.

Traveller LED Light Installation Harness at Tractor Supply Co.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the excellent discussion and recommendations! I'm abandoning my interest in the halogen upgrade from Deere and I like the idea of an add-on LED worklight or two, especially SulleyBear's Tractor Supply solution. We have one of their stores right in town so I can go take a look at things before buying anything. You guys are the best, thanks!

-Dan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Another consideration is the heat produced by the bulbs. From what I understand, there were some initial issues on traffic lights when they first went to LED signals. There wasn't enough heat produced by the LEDs to melt the ice and snow on the lights. I'm not sure if that translates into the same thing on an X570 with a snowblower, but it might be worth checking into.
EDIT: Hmm, if SulleyBear suggests an LED solution, then I'd go with his recommendation. He had a lot of good experience blowing snow last year.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have the JD halogen kit on my 540. It's a night and day difference from the stock bulbs. Put them in from almost new (2014/4hrs) and still on the original bulbs. Highly recommend this upgrade.

The instructions are confusing to say the least. (And old) I had my local dealer contract JD to be sure that the kit fit my tractor. They assured me that they fit and nothing would melt. You don't need the included reflectors that come with the kit.

LED lights make all the heat on the back side of the light. That's why most of them have some kind of heat sink. Spoke to my local Fisher plow dealership when buying the blade for my Jeep. Seen an in store advertisement for truck light brand LED bulbs. Said that they sell the same thing for motorcycles. The sales guy mentioned that they had problems when installing them on the state highway plow trucks. If the snow is heavy enough it covers the lenses. Then the driver has to stop and clean them off. I believe Boss plows now has this figured out. All of the new plows come stock with them. Now I'm sure a couple of them ice shield lights would be the cat's pajamas mounted on a tractor. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So I took SulleyBear's advice and went with the Traveller brand LED lights from Tractor Supply. I bought 2 of the 4.75", 27W, 1620 lumens, but they had at least 3 or 4 other options in the store that might have worked. I also bought the mounts for 1" tube, the wiring harness which included the battery connections, relay, switch and plenty of wire to reach to the front of the tractor. I also bought their "Y" harness since I was going with 2 lights.

My "light bar" is actually the handle from an old BBQ grill. The lower ends of the tubes fit perfectly between the front of the frame and the back of my bumper after I squeezed the tubes a bit. I made brackets from aluminum angle stock and the whole thing lifts off after pulling two pins. The "Y" harness is just long enough that I can tuck its connector into the front of the hood to keep it out of the weather. The only two connectors exposed are at the other ends of the "Y" harness where the lights plug in.

I just got them on this afternoon and can't wait to try them out when it gets dark!

-Dan

Edit: I just went out and tried them now that it is dark, I'm impressed! After I took the shot against the barn, I turned each light outwards about 10 degrees to get wider coverage and then took the shot at the bottom of the driveway. I think these are going to work just fine!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts