Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw yesterday that Lowes is to become a seller of Craftsman tools. But I could find no info about whether the Craftsman lifetime warranty (no receipt or proof of purchase needed) would be honored by Lowes. Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I saw yesterday that Lowes is to become a seller of Craftsman tools. But I could find no info about whether the Craftsman lifetime warranty (no receipt or proof of purchase needed) would be honored by Lowes. Anyone know?
I haven't seen anything official from Lowe's or Craftsman. But, as you stated, hand tool warranty exchanges do not require a receipt and I don't foresee that Lowe's will have any choice but to honor warranty on current Craftsman tools purchased from Lowe's or elsewhere. Non-current production tools might be a challenge to return, but I like to think that Lowe's will place value on a customer making a warranty exchange of a non-current tool in a Lowe's store. I'm probably not going to walk out with only the wrench I received under warranty.

I doubt that Stanley (Crapsman's new owner) will be doing the lifetime warranty anymore; but I'm guessing. :dunno:
From the Craftsman site: June 22, 2017 - We understand the Craftsman warranties are important to existing customers and intend to honor existing and offer similar warranties going forward.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
DeWalt is a Stanley line and Ive used them exclusively for 20 years. I wouldnt be surprised if they discontinued the small power tool line since they were never that great anyway and Stanley Corp. already has several lines at different quality tiers and price points. I knew the clock was ticking on Craftsman when i saw them in Kmart.

Lowes is a solid company and if they treat Crsftsman the way they treat our millitary families, they will definitely do the right thing by customers.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I haven't seen anything official from Lowe's or Craftsman. But, as you stated, hand tool warranty exchanges do not require a receipt and I don't foresee that Lowe's will have any choice but to honor warranty on current Craftsman tools purchased from Lowe's or elsewhere. Non-current production tools might be a challenge to return, but I like to think that Lowe's will place value on a customer making a warranty exchange of a non-current tool in a Lowe's store. I'm probably not going to walk out with only the wrench I received under warranty.

From the Craftsman site: June 22, 2017 - We understand the Craftsman warranties are important to existing customers and intend to honor existing and offer similar warranties going forward.
From the above link:
WARRANTY SERVICE

To obtain the warranty coverage stated below, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased. Coverage will be fulfilled according to the retailer warranty exchange procedure and may be subject to a limitation on the number of items allowed per exchange.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Wonder why Lowes would sell chraftsman when they already have Kobalt tools in the store? Never seen Kobalt tools for sale at any other store.

One of the biggest reasons I started buying Snap On, Cornwell & Matco tools is they come to me. The times I spent not working in a serviced shop did make tracking a dealer down more of a problem. Luckily the stuff is hard to break. lol
However having a weekly tool truck visit makes spending extra money to easy. Otherwise you have to need it before setting out to the store.

Have had so many bad experiences with craftsman products that I avoid them like the plague. Not only my junk but stuff owned by others. Especially equipment that usually needed fixing. Like mowers, chain saws and string trimmers.

·
Super Moderator
5,375 Posts
Wonder why Lowes would sell chraftsman when they already have Kobalt tools in the store? Never seen Kobalt tools for sale at any other store.
There is a looong, sordid history with Lowe's and Sears on all of this.

Back 12-13 years ago (when I was working for Lowe's), Lowe's was trying to buy the Craftsman brand from Sears. Lowe's wanted to buy Craftsman outright but Sears wanted to do a long-term licensing deal like Rigid and Ryobi had done with Home Depot.

When that fell apart, Sears did a much smaller licensing deal with ACE Hardware and Lowe's went out and created the Kobalt brand and designed their own line of tools under that Kobalt name to compete directly with the Craftsman line of tools. That's why you don't see Kobalt tools sold anywhere else - Lowe's owns the brand.

Behind the scenes, this is the big difference between Home Depot and Lowe's.

Home Depot owns a couple of the brands you see on their shelves. They own the "Glacier Bay" brand of plumbing fixtures and the "Hampton Bay" brand of ceiling fans and light fixtures.

Lowe's owns most of the brands they sell. The Kobalt, Allen+Roth, Blue Hawk, Style Selections, Project Source, Harbor Breeze, Portfolio, AquaSource, Reliabilt, Garden Treasures, Top Choice, EverTrue, Utilitech, Idylis, Lowe’s Garden Club Select, Gatehouse, Sta-Green, Holiday Living, Task Force and Master Forge brands are all owned by Lowe's.

(Little known factoid: The "Allen+Roth" brand covers things like window blinds, flooring, curtains, etc.. that Lowe's sells. "Allen" and "Roth" are the names of the 2 children of the VP of Marketing at Lowe's at the time that brand came into existence.)

I don't think Lowe's is bringing in the Craftsman brand for tools per se. For example, Lowe's currently sells Chamberlin brand garage door openers. Chamberlin also makes the LiftMaster and Craftsman branded door openers. But Stanley makes their own garage door openers too. So I expect that Stanley will start re-branding their own as the Craftsman brand and Lowe's will drop Chamberlin and LiftMaster and sell the Craftsman lineup in the future.

The same sort of thing will happen with things like Shop vacs. Lowe's currently sells the ShopVac and Kobalt brands. ShopVac makes most of the Craftsman brand shop vacs but again, Stanley has their line of them too. So Stanley will re-brand their's as Craftsman and Lowe's will start carrying those and drop the ShopVac brand.

I think the biggest change with all of this that people will see right off is that Lowe's will stop selling all the Irwin brand products and replace them with Craftsman branded equivalents. That's mostly things like drill bits, measuring tools, clamps, pliers, etc..

Eventually, everything sold in any Lowe's store will be their own private brand or a brand owned by Stanley.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just to add more confusion to the Craftsman tool saga.

The Craftsman brand was sold to Stanley Tools a number of months back. Stanley indicated in their press release many months ago that they were going to start bringing Craftsman tool production back to the USA. So we might actually end up having made-in-the-USA Craftsman tools again.

However, Sears kept a exclusive right to continue selling Craftsman tools, but not the Craftsman tools made and sold by Stanley. The Sears sold Craftsman tools would continue being made and sold exclusively by Sears and would more than likely continue to be made in China, where Sears has outsourced all tool production (except screwdrivers for some reason, so far) a few years ago.

So soon you will have Sears/Craftsman or Stanley/Craftsman tools.

The above was verified by a family friend who owns a Sears store and was informed of this at a dealers meeting with Sears corporate.

·
Premium Member
15,350 Posts
Just to add more confusion to the Craftsman tool saga.

The Craftsman brand was sold to Stanley Tools a number of months back. Stanley indicated in their press release many months ago that they were going to start bringing Craftsman tool production back to the USA. So we might actually end up having made-in-the-USA Craftsman tools again.

However, Sears kept a exclusive right to continue selling Craftsman tools, but not the Craftsman tools made and sold by Stanley. The Sears sold Craftsman tools would continue being made and sold exclusively by Sears and would more than likely continue to be made in China, where Sears has outsourced all tool production (except screwdrivers for some reason, so far) a few years ago.

So soon you will have Sears/Craftsman or Stanley/Craftsman tools.

The above was verified by a family friend who owns a Sears store and was informed of this at a dealers meeting with Sears corporate.
Guessing this is the reason I was given a Stanley 30' tape measure for the Craftsman I took in to Sears a couple of years ago to be replaced being defective. :dunno:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Guessing this is the reason I was given a Stanley 30' tape measure for the Craftsman I took in to Sears a couple of years ago to be replaced being defective. :dunno:
THAT'S IT!!!! All these years I thought it was just me cutting it too short....and it was the tape measure the whole time!:lolol:

·
Registered
715 Posts
My comments are limited to hand tools. I would not buy a Craftsman power tool. For power tools I'd rather pay more for professional quality.

Snap-on and Matco are excellent quality tools but I don't think they are worth the price even for a pro unless you happen to match up with their business model - payroll deductions and on-site service.

Don't be afraid to buy used. I went through countless Harbor Freight, NAPA and Auto Zone pullers and broke every one of them. I finally purchased a used Snap-on set off eBay. It was still twice the price of a new auto store tool but half the price from Snap-on new. I doubt I will ever break it.

My one gripe about Snap-on is that the metal prep after forging and shiny chrome plating looks real nice and screams high quality but the damn wrenches are slippery as hell when your hands are coated in oil!

The only hand tools to really worry about are sockets and ratchets. The former break and the latter eventually wear out. 6 point sockets are somewhat better in this regard and, unlike 12 point, will not slip, but they seem to be the hardest to find in stock.

Al

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
This is good news for me because my local sears is MIA since last year.

About the craftsman quality- Craftsman is just a brand. All of there tools are/were made by other companies such as Stanley, Apex and others. When Apex moved to china (2009, i think) they took the manufacturing of craftsman tools with them. craftsman had no control over that, if you think about it.

Now, I know that the quality of craftsman is lower than that of mac, snap-on and matco. But for someone like me who does his own repairs, they do just fine. If I worked in a shop and used the tools every day, I would have snap-on or mac or something. Believe me, if I had the money, I would have snap-on, but alas, the piggy bank is only so big. I'm not spending $600 on a 1/4" ratchet and 10 sockets. What it really comes down to is what the customer needs. In my experience, some brands are better for one task, and others for a different task. For example, I use craftsman tools to rebuild the front end on the 4510. But, I ended up having to get a set of snap-on ring pliers to do the job. I'm sure there are lots of examples of this.

oh yeah i would definitly stay away from craftsman power tools. dewalt is the best, imo, maybe even better than snap on.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Yep, same thing happened to me. Then I found out, Craftsman no longer made tape measures and neither does Lowes in their Kobalt line. I believe they quit making take measures because they found they could not afford the lifetime warranty on a tape measure.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,364 Posts
Most of my tools are Craftsman or Stanley. I've never had a problem with Stanley (tapes, box cutters) and the Craftsman hand tools that did break were exchanged without a hitch. I take a broke tool in I leave with a new one. Except for the ones I got in the last 5 years or so, are all made in the USA. I walked into the only Ace hardware store around here, they told me they weren't going to sell Craftsman tools. As I walked out I said my final good bye to them. They were snotty to me, telling me this. I don't need that attitude around me. The Ace store here doesn't have many customers and now they have one less. When I was there they had 3 people working the floor and one cashier with me being the only customer. Kind of chop your nose off to spite your face.

There are certain Stanley tools I think are great. Don't like anything Black and Decker. Back in the day I started out with B&D because they were cheap and it was what I could afford. As I got older I replaced them with Craftsman. I like Craftsman but if I could, I'd trade one for one to Lowe's for Kobalt. I have some Snap-on, S&K, Blackhawk and one or 2 others that have "Life Time Warranty" but can't find where they can be replaced when they break. So for that reason I'd only buy Kobalt or Craftsman. I've boycotted home depot for going on 10 years so that is out.

Craftsman for the home owner was the standard the rest modeled themselves after. Can't wait for Stanley to start making them here in the USA again. I just have to find a store that would sell them. We do still have a Sears store but who knows how long they will stay in business??

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've used Craftsman hand tools for over 40 years. I have broken or worn out a few and replaced them under warranty.
The last time I went in with a 3/8 ratchet for replacement was the first time they tried to replace my made in USA with a chinese one. I said no way and they introduced me to the rebuild kit. I rebuilt my own right there on their counter. But I decided if they're going to replace my made in USA tools with chinese I might as well start with chinese for future purchases.
About 5 years ago I started buying Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh hand tools. They too have the lifetime replacement at any HF store and I have one close.
I will say that the HF ratchets and screw drivers are a LOT more comfortable to use than Craftsman. I found the HF tool chests/cabinets to be more stout than Craftsman as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My comments are limited to hand tools. I would not buy a Craftsman power tool. For power tools I'd rather pay more for professional quality.

Snap-on and Matco are excellent quality tools but I don't think they are worth the price even for a pro unless you happen to match up with their business model - payroll deductions and on-site service.

Don't be afraid to buy used. I went through countless Harbor Freight, NAPA and Auto Zone pullers and broke every one of them. I finally purchased a used Snap-on set off eBay. It was still twice the price of a new auto store tool but half the price from Snap-on new. I doubt I will ever break it.

My one gripe about Snap-on is that the metal prep after forging and shiny chrome plating looks real nice and screams high quality but the damn wrenches are slippery as hell when your hands are coated in oil!

The only hand tools to really worry about are sockets and ratchets. The former break and the latter eventually wear out. 6 point sockets are somewhat better in this regard and, unlike 12 point, will not slip, but they seem to be the hardest to find in stock.

Al
That's why you need to buy their soft-grip handled tools. I have their ratchets, T-Handles and screwdriver sets in soft-grip. THEY ROCK!!!! I never met a better designed screwdriver handle that can still torque with oily hands...same for their ratchets. But that's not what the thread is about... :laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
That's why you need to buy their soft-grip handled tools. I have their ratchets, T-Handles and screwdriver sets in soft-grip. THEY ROCK!!!! I never met a better designed screwdriver handle that can still torque with oily hands...same for their ratchets. But that's not what the thread is about... :laugh:
I can't stand those confort grip tools. They feel cheap and you can't seem to be able to turn them hard enough. That said, the snap-on rubber grips on my ring pliers are amazing. nice and smooth, not to soft, and they resist oil to some degree.

anyhow, :focus:

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi
1 - 20 of 60 Posts