Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at mowing options for 3 (mostly) flat acres. Came across a 61D1 MMM and a Horizon 6-foot finish mower. Wondering what would be best for the largest mower the tractor can handle without over taxing the little Yanmar....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even if it would handle it power-wise, I'm not sure that's enough tractor to lift it when necessary. My guess is 5' would be max.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

I have had at different times a 5 foot RFM, 6 foot RFM and a 62D on 2 different 2520's

5 Foot RFM: Worked like a dream for my property I had at the time, rear discharge, bit more trim mowing needed with a 21" push mower around stuff. Tall grass did not slow it down

6 Foot RFM: Big and heavy (Land Pride 2572) rear discharge, worked really well but I had to keep the loader and bucket on to counter balance the big weight. Tall grass did not slow it down.

62D: Well, it's currently the one I'm using, easier to mow around stuff, a bit dusty for me and the tractor as everything is happening right under my feet instead of 4 feet behind me and blown back. It does have a better cut.

I don't know how the 2025r will handle the 72 in thick grass but it should be OK as it has I think 18 vs 20 or 21 on the 2520's. I would just be aware of the weight out back and consider that when choosing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like I might ask too much from the little guy going with a 72- inch...
I'm used to having the deck under my feet with my current X475 so I think I can live with it. Sounds like the 62D might be my better choice....as long as the Yanmar can power it... I know there has been a lot of discussion about that with the 2320 / 2025r but I should be OK since I don't have much for hills.
But darn those decks and lift kits are expensive. .!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

If "NE" in your location means "New England" I may know of a 62d and lift kit off a 2320 down the road from me in NH.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
378 Posts
Short answer, Yes. Long answer, No.
The tractor would run the mower but there would be several issues with the weight of a 6 footer.
I had a 29hp/26pto hp Kubota before getting my JD and while the tractor handled the 6' Woods mower just fine, there were times when the grass was thick and high that the black smoke would roll and you would lose rpms. What bothered me most about it was how light the front end would get when the mower was raised, the front wheels wouldnt turn if you were coming up out of a slope and it would scare the grass.
just sharing my experience, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
FWIW, I run a 72" Frontier Finish Mower (came used with tractor package) to do quick yard mows. It is such a big help with the farm lot too.
When the grass gets around 4", I just have to go really slow. I found that if I raised it and just mowed twice, it did fine.
Otherwise when just mowing at a normal height of 3" or so, it's definitely faster than the 345....So yeah it will do the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts