Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand hydraulics that well, and I have yet to use my 3-Point Hitch for anything (still in box).

So, can anyone tell me if this log splitter will work on my 1025r? Log Splitter

Here is the short explanation of requirements:
"The Log Splitter uses hydraulic hoses on your tractor and quick-connect fittings fit to the hoses on your tractor. Tractor requirements are for a Category 1 hitch, between 25 and 65 horsepower. 2500 PSI is recommended and 9 gallons per minute is ideal."

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I am no expert, but it's always been my understanding that these 1 series may be able to run a 3PH splitter, but it's going to be slowwwwwww. I am sure some others will be along shortly for a better answer.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Gosh,, I am getting old,,
I remember when Surplus Center sold a very similar splitter for $399. :flag_of_truce:

It will split wood,, but, you must have the patience of Job,,, :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
Yup. They say "2500 PSI is recommended and 9 gallons per minute is ideal."

Your 1025R only generates 2000 PSI and pumps 3.5 gallons per minute for implement use.

Will it work? Yup. But it will be slooooooowwwwwwwwww......

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It will be very slow. You pump operates at about 6.3 gpm according to tractordata.com which is about right for a SCUT. You have plenty of PSI just not a fast flow rate. You are at the very low end of the HP requirement. That is a massive log splitter for a small tractor although based on the specs your three point will pick it up. You can get a 25 ton splitter that operates with its own engine for just under $1k at TSC. I would say for most wood you really don't need much more than a 22 ton. When I have rented a splitter it was 22 ton and it handled all the oak I could throw at it and then some.

You also need some hydraulics plumbed to the back of the tractor to hook up the splitter hoses. That is several hundred dollars to install.

I have always thought a about tractor mounted splitter but my research indicates their cycle time tends to be slower than stand along splitters and takes up my tractor for log splitting vs using my grapple to go get logs from my woods. Everyone's situation is different though. Good luck with your decision. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
It will be very slow. You pump operates at about 6.3 gpm according to tractordata.com which is about right for a SCUT.
The Tractordata.com info is correct but 2.8 gpm of that is dedicated to the power steering system - even when you aren't going anywhere...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I have a stand alone splitter with a Honda engine and it was around 1000$. I like it because I can use my endloader to move logs around. If you were powering the splitter with the tractor your tractor is tied up. I use my endloader with my "Bolt On Hooks" and chain to move logs. also with a stand alone unit you can stand it up on end and split big logs you cant pick up. Mine is a 25 ton Brave unit.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The 22 ton Huskie splitter from Tractor Supply is what I have and it has held up very well and splits everything I have ever cut. I absolutely needed my front end loader with forks to position some 36" Oak rounds last summer. I use my three point ball or the backhoe bucket to move the splitter around. Highly recommend separate machines.

·
Registered
747 Posts
konakid, I've got to go along with the others and say, for less $$ you can get a 22/25 ton model with it's own power and hydraulics. I see in the link you posted that DR offers "free shipping", I bet that doesn't include HI...

If you tie up the tractor with a tractor powered splitter, you can't use the FEL to help you out.

DSCF7615.JPG

If you don't mind me sharing my opinion, look for a splitter that can split both horizontally and vertically. Also, after using mine a while, I realize it's backwards. My cylinder pushes the log into a wedge. I think I'd rather have it so the wedge travels and the log is stationary. There's less reaching to grab split logs, and a table or structure to catch the splits would be closer to the operator. ... Just my 2¢. Good Luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
It may work on your tractor but it will be very slow. The way around this is to use a pto pump to power the log splitter. I've been doing this for about 14 years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all the feedback. I already have a 27 ton that works rather well. And it does go vertical. But I just picked up some 36" round "ironwood" that might give the 27 ton a challenge. And having a backup wouldn't be a bad idea - depending on how much the shipping would cost me.

The 27 ton was $1800 from Lowes. So, the other bigger one seemed reasonable - again depending on the shipping. And I already have a backhoe - so I figured I already have the necessary hydraulics to the rear - right???

So while I took into consideration all of your suggestions, I still was curious if it would work - and how well. I thought it might be an option. But I think you all helped me answer my question.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Like others said yes it will work but it will be SLOW! You can mow a 1/2 acre with a 22" push mower, yes it can be done but it will be SLOW. For that kind of money go to TSC and buy another log splitter if you want a backup. I like to have my tractor free to help load or unload wood from the splitter.

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
It will be very slow. You pump operates at about 6.3 gpm according to tractordata.com which is about right for a SCUT. You have plenty of PSI just not a fast flow rate. You are at the very low end of the HP requirement.
This is true, but the 6.3 GPM are split to the hydro and and power steering. It's my understanding you don't get access to all 6 GPM just because you aren't moving. My guess is there are restrictions to keep everything distributed.

I've got a 24 Ton NorthStar splitter from Northern Tool. It's AWESOME! Cost me lots $1,700, but it's built to last. :gizmo: :gizmo:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Whatever happened to the old school splitter ?!

h0276840078_splitting-axe-hkly_artnr_840078.jpg

Just kidding. Work smarter, not harder! I have a 27 ton Troy-Bilt with a Honda motor from Lowes that does vertical or horizontal. I prefer vertical, make a nice little seat out of one of the rounds, plop my ass right in front of the splitter with a pile of precut logs next to it and a box of beer and split away! Of course it is nice to have a helper to feed the rounds to you and help with the beverages. And to think I don't even have a fire place, just a fire ring for gatherings.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I went against every recommendation here and purchased a power horse 3ph splitter from northern tool a few years ago. I have enough small engines already that I'm constantly tinkering with so I didn't want another. The one I bought splits going in both directions. I think the flow recommendation was 7 or 9 gpm minimum. Yes it operates a little slower than it was designed for but I'm ok with it. And I don't have another carburetor that will varnish up and cause me problems.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went against every recommendation here and purchased a power horse 3ph splitter from northern tool a few years ago. I have enough small engines already that I'm constantly tinkering with so I didn't want another. The one I bought splits going in both directions. I think the flow recommendation was 7 or 9 gpm minimum. Yes it operates a little slower than it was designed for but I'm ok with it. And I don't have another carburetor that will varnish up and cause me problems.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know much about hydraulics at all. So - it's the flow that makes it operate slower - right? Does that also mean it is operating with less horse power as well???

·
Administrator
18,003 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Like others said yes it will work but it will be SLOW! You can mow a 1/2 acre with a 22" push mower, yes it can be done but it will be SLOW. For that kind of money go to TSC and buy another log splitter if you want a backup. I like to have my tractor free to help load or unload wood from the splitter.

Doug
Doug, you stole my splitter! Mine is identical and just as clean after maybe 10 years of service. I would recommend this unit to anyone. Only had to change the oil a few times and the spark plug twice. Starts in two pulls after sitting all winter. Would probably sell for an easy $600 after getting it for $900 when new.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Doug, you stole my splitter! Mine is identical and just as clean after maybe 10 years of service. I would recommend this unit to anyone. Only had to change the oil a few times and the spark plug twice. Starts in two pulls after sitting all winter. Would probably sell for an easy $600 after getting it for $900 when new.
Jeff my log splitter is 7 years old and starts after two or three pulls changed the oil a couple times and the tank filter at least once. It has split anything that I put on it.

Doug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts