Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2040 John Deere (serial number 392779) and have found a 1972 2030 John Deere on Market Place with a bad engine. The tractor looks like mine and the tires look new. My question is will parts off the 2030 fit on my 2040 (i.e. steering valve assembly, hubs, wheels, radiator ect)….

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Three cylinder 179 cubic inch in the 2040 and a four cylinder 219 cubic inch in the 2030. 2040 made in Germany and the 2030 in Davenport/Dubuque (can't remember for sure). I am sure there are interchangeable parts so searching the parts catalog will be your new past time. Some difference in the drag links, side frames, sheet metal etc. I wish you well as both are (in my experience) good utility tractors..

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Due to the fact that the 2040 is above serial # 266,750 steering valves should interchange with no problems. I agree interchangeability of parts can be researched on JD parts site.

Just for clarification some 2040's built for sales in countries other than N America had 4 cyl engines & some 2030's besides being built in Dubuque,Ia were built in factory in Mannheim designated by with serial # followed by an "L"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
To add to what TxJim said; the reason for the serial number reference is some 2040s had open center hydraulics, others closed center hydraulics. 2030s had closed center hydraulics.
As others have said the JD parts catalogs can be your friend.
Since TxJim sold these new, he can tell you there were many ways they could be configured from the factory. For the 2030, gas or diesel, straight, HD, or swept back front axle, different seats, fenders, engine side frames, up or down exhaust, telescoping lower 3pt arms, none, one, or two rear SCVs, flanged or rack & pinion rear axle. Several different types/sizes of front and rear wheels and tires. Three transmission choices. Probably more Jim remembers.

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
When I stated serial # 266,750 for 3 cyl 2040 that was serial # for change from open to closed center hyd's on 2040 with 3 cyl engine. 2040's with 4 cyl engines built for European sales contributes to more confusion. Another option when ordering new 2030's was frt hyd pump size(1.38 or 2.4 in.3)

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
When I stated serial # 266,750 for 3 cyl 2040 that was serial # for change from open to closed center hyd's on 2040 with 3 cyl engine. 2040's with 4 cyl engines built for European sales contributes to more confusion. Another option when ordering new 2030's was frt hyd pump size(1.38 or 2.4 in.3)
I was guessing you were referring to open to closed hyd change for the serial number.

My 2030 has the smaller front pump, I've yet to see one with the optional large front pump. Only time I notice, is when trying to get the loader to do two things at once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.