Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! Holy fiber, Batman! Had our first Wilted Leaf Salad of the year..along with some great cabbage! The leaf lettuce is doing really well with all the rain and the cool weather; Sharn Jean fixed a huge bowl and we cleaned it up! Sorry about the pictures, by the time I thought about it, there wasn't anything left but the scraps.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
OMG! Holy fiber, Batman! Had our first Wilted Leaf Salad of the year..along with some great cabbage! The leaf lettuce is doing really well with all the rain and the cool weather; Sharn Jean fixed a huge bowl and we cleaned it up! Sorry about the pictures, by the time I thought about it, there wasn't anything left but the scraps.
:lolol:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Making Amends

Well, maybe I can make up for it. I can't do anything about the wilted leaf salad, unless of course you want to make your own. The recipe is in the cookbook!

Sharn Jean and I picked a couple gallons of cherries yesterday. We are planning on making a couple gallons of hooch...wonderful stuff. Here's a picture of Lucy Lu giving them the sniff test.

Lucy and cherries.jpg

RECIPE

Using a one gallon glass jug, fill it about 3/4 gallon of cherries or grapes, 2 cups sugar and one liter

of Vodka. If there is any space left top off the jug with water.

Stir daily until all the sugar is dissolved. Put wax paper over the jar opening, and loosely tighten the lid.

After all the sugar is dissolved, place the jar in a cool dark place until Thanksgiving.

Strain the jar contents through cheesecloth, bottle and imbibe.

You may want to experiment with the sugar. The original recipe called for 4 cups of sugar; We don't like ours really sweet.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm flying up to 2LaneCruzer's for Thanksgiving!!! Of course, I might not be safe to fly home until Christmas!!! :laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
Well, maybe I can make up for it. I can't do anything about the wilted leaf salad, unless of course you want to make your own. The recipe is in the cookbook!

Sharn Jean and I picked a couple gallons of cherries yesterday. We are planning on making a couple gallons of hooch...wonderful stuff. Here's a picture of Lucy Lu giving them the sniff test.

View attachment 45899

RECIPE

Using a one gallon glass jug, fill it about 3/4 gallon of cherries or grapes, 2 cups sugar and *one liter

of Vodka*
. If there is any space left top off the jug with water.

Stir daily until all the sugar is dissolved. Put wax paper over the jar opening, and loosely tighten the lid.

After all the sugar is dissolved, place the jar in a cool dark place until Thanksgiving.

Strain the jar contents through cheesecloth, bottle and imbibe.

You may want to experiment with the sugar. The original recipe called for 4 cups of sugar; We don't like ours really sweet.
Sounds like something that will fight off a north wind pretty good!:good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,424 Posts
We seem to have lots of good friends with empty wine bottles when the stuff is done. It's kinda like Bryll Cream; a little dab will do ya!
My grandfather used to make some out of wild cherries.
Had a few trees that grew in the pastures, still have one old tree left, it made it through a bunch of storms.
One little "nip", "nip and a half" of grandpa's homebrew "cherry bounce" was all ya needed to give a kid (me and cousins) a warm glow.:lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wilted salad is one of my favorite summer dinner courses. My wife had never had it before we met and now she's just as hooked as me. There are many different versions but I prefer mine with hot vinegar, bacon grease, sugar along with green onion. Man O man Yum Yum.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wilted salad is one of my favorite summer dinner courses. My wife had never had it before we met and now she's just as hooked as me. There are many different versions but I prefer mine with hot vinegar, bacon grease, sugar along with green onion. Man O man Yum Yum.
Sounds pretty much like our recipe. She puts a sliced boiled egg in it if I remember correctly. Wilted leaf salad is one of the most flavorful things I have ever eaten. I don't know where the recipe originated...it's been around our family for generations...but I suspect it's Southern. My folks are originally from Virginia and Bowling Green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts