Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fabbed a winch mount for my daughters race car trailer . Made out of stuff I had laying around the shop . I also helped her install bed tie down rings using my plunge router to route out the pockets . Tore up my yard dragging the trailer around with the tractor . We are still saturated from last weeks storms . :usa

Joys Trailer 001.JPG

Joys Trailer 003.JPG Joys Trailer 007.JPG

Joys Trailer 009.JPG

Joys Trailer 004.JPG

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I fabbed a winch mount for my daughters race car trailer . Made out of stuff I had laying around the shop . I also helped her install bed tie down rings using my plunge router to route out the pockets . Tore up my yard dragging the trailer around with the tractor . We are still saturated from last weeks storms . :usa
That is nice work. :thumbup1gif:
Sure would be nice to see the Race Car also. :unknown:

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Ron, are those tie downs bolted through the framing members too? If they are just in the floorboards then they are not safe to use for a car-the floorboards are probably just screwed down with Tek screws.

I like the winch mount :good2:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Romjca- i used these type tie downs in my first trailer i had, just a small trailer. but i used a flat piece of aluminium and used the cross member., as the pulling against. at least it was better than just the wood. but now i never would of used a chain and binder to tighten down some 5 thousand pound cargo. a normal fella would have that sense-i hope.:dunno: they worked great as long as u kept the dirt out of them, and sprayed them regularly.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ron, are those tie downs bolted through the framing members too? If they are just in the floorboards then they are not safe to use for a car-the floorboards are probably just screwed down with Tek screws.

Judging by the fact that there are no screws in the boards next to the board with recessed d ring, I doubt it is bolted to a frame member. Otherwise we would see a line of screws in the wood, holding the wood to the frame of the trailer.

Many people don't realize strapping down your cargo is important to not only keep it from shifting around, but also to keep it on the trailer in case of an accident. Don't want anything coming off and causing additional damage. Most strapping/securing cargo I see is fine for cruising down the road but in an emergency situation with heavy breaking involved, or sudden stopping, most cargo would come flying off. You are responsible for anything flying off your trailer.

Romjca please be careful and mindful of forces that may occur. Of course there is certain amount of force that no matter what your load is strapped to, it could come loose. Not saying your half a$$ing it. Just want others that may see this to know that a recessed d ring should be secured to a frame member some how.(not shown in pics)

Nice winch mount btw!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are not attached to the frame , only a piece of plate on the bottom side . She has already purchased weld on d rings for install at later date . She was in a hurry to finish as car is going to chassis shop next week for roll cage upgrade . :usa

JOYS CAMARO.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts

Well crap... I have those same rings installed on my trailer, just built into the wood planks.... never even occurred to me how those were fastened to the trailer... ugh.... :bash:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
These are not attached to the frame , only a piece of plate on the bottom side . She has already purchased weld on d rings for install at later date . She was in a hurry to finish as car is going to chassis shop next week for roll cage upgrade . :usa

View attachment 582593
Mustang daily drivers and a Camaro racer...

Looks good though.:bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Well crap... I have those same rings installed on my trailer, just built into the wood planks.... never even occurred to me how those were fastened to the trailer... ugh.... :bash:
Whoops...Whoops!

But seriously take a good look at that, especially if you tow a tractor or other heavy items. The WLL (working load limit) on most of them is only 1000 or 2000 pounds, so that's to small for most tractors anyway if you factor in shock loads and g-forces in a panic/emergency stop.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Nice car. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
108 Posts

View attachment 582593

Nice $&*)(^&^% drag car!!!

Just before HS graduation in 79 I bought a 79 Camaro. 350/4sp/posi. That poor car led a life thru hell and back. Amazingly I never crashed it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts