Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided on the SuperWinch brand. I got the Terra 45. Putting one of these on a tractor isn't a clear cut deal either. I thought over where would be the best places to mount the components. The tranny cooler bracket worked out well for mounting the circuit breaker. I mounted the ground cable right with the battery ground on the frame bolt. I had to buy longer lengths of red and black cable, as what was supplied wasn't long enough for how I decided to do things. A nice box was supplied for enclosing the circuit breaker. Not so for the solenoid, and I didn't want it exposed to anything. I got a nice PVC electrical junction box to house it. I think mounting it to the front of the foot board worked out fairly well. The power cables from the solenoid to the winch, weren't quite long enough either. They use blue and yellow for whatever reason. I also wanted a quick connect for removing the winch. I used the left over red and black cable to go from the quick connect to the winch motor. I also made the cables to the motor long enough that I could mount the winch to the receiver on the back of my ballast box too. I bought a Bulldog Winch Quick Connect, lugs and a hammer crimper for making my own length cables. The smaller 2 conductor cable hooked to the battery and hanging beside the winch quick connect is for my sprayer.

I used the existing hole in the ROPS for routing the wires for the power on/off rocker switch I added, and for the hand held remote cable. All in all, I think the whole job turned out fairly well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Superwinch/SW1551.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y7H1DL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UUVT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Looks like a nice install. What is the winch for??

·
Super Moderator
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's prime use will be for tree and branch cleanup. I used to do everything with straps. There was a tow hook in the 2 holes in the receiver, right above the winch. It will make it so much nicer now. I won't have to cut a whole tree as much now to get it into the woods.

·
Registered
21,935 Posts
It's prime use will be for tree and branch cleanup. I used to do everything with straps. There was a tow hook in the 2 holes in the receiver, right above the winch. It will make it so much nicer now. I won't have to cut a whole tree as much now to get it into the woods.
You’ve given me a great idea Greg! I never think about winches since I’ve never owned one.

I still have what’s left of my big tree to get rid of. I’ve cut as far as my 16” saw will let me. If I can get a big guy with a big saw to cut the rest up in small pieces I still need to skid it out to the woods. I would have to have them cut it into very small pieces to be able to skid with my tractor. But if I had a winch I could at least move bigger pieces by winching, moving up, winching, and on and on.

I also want to have a winch for my soon to be new trailer so I will have to follow your lead to make it easily moved from tractor to trailer.

Good deal!

2799843F-577F-45A8-B987-F022146516FA.jpg

What you are seeing here is 22” at the small end and 42” at the big end - heavy! The last cut I made there I cut a 4’ piece and could just barely lift it with my forks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ve seen winches before on the 3pt, but is that any better than using the tractor & a chain to drag stuff? I’m just not real experienced in dragging timber. By the way, it will be safer to mount to drawbar, much lower center of gravity. The load that you are pulling with the winch, can shift/roll on you & 3pt can raise up on you, making the winch move to the upper limit of the travel span of the 3pt. I hope you kind of understand of what I am trying say.

Looks good man! If I can find a use for a winch on my 2520, I’ll get a setup of my own.

Edit, never mind on the question. Coaltrain answered the skidding question. The lightbulb just turned on!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You’ve given me a great idea Greg! I never think about winches since I’ve never owned one.

I still have what’s left of my big tree to get rid of. I’ve cut as far as my 16” saw will let me. If I can get a big guy with a big saw to cut the rest up in small pieces I still need to skid it out to the woods. I would have to have them cut it into very small pieces to be able to skid with my tractor. But if I had a winch I could at least move bigger pieces by winching, moving up, winching, and on and on.

I also want to have a winch for my soon to be new trailer so I will have to follow your lead to make it easily moved from tractor to trailer.

Good deal!

What you are seeing here is 22” at the small end and 42” at the big end - heavy! The last cut I made there I cut a 4’ piece and could just barely lift it with my forks.
So why can't you cut any more of that with a 16" saw? You have 32" of cutting...
We took down a 40+" tree with a 18" bar electric saw! (that's when I decided it was time to pay for a good stihl)

·
Registered
21,935 Posts
So why can't you cut any more of that with a 16" saw? You have 32" of cutting...
We took down a 40+" tree with a 18" bar electric saw! (that's when I decided it was time to pay for a good stihl)
My STIHL saw must be different - it measures 14” from the spikes to the tip of the bar.

My next cut would be 24” and is laying on the ground. There is no way to roll or lift it.

I could use wedges to make one more cut but will not be going any further. One more cut won’t make a difference to what I have left. 10 years ago I would have had it done already if with nothing else than my 2-man saw.

I don’t feel 100% confident in making any more cuts in the monster so I will not. I’m lucky that I was able to cut up and remove what I have in the past year.

·
Registered
21,935 Posts
Getting back to Greg’s post (sorry!) - what did you use do mount the winch on that hooks to your iMatch? Maybe I missed it but can’t figure that part out.

What I would like to do is something the same for my 2520 plus be able to use it on a trailer. I am lost when it comes to the actual winch mounts for both.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Getting back to Greg’s post (sorry!) - what did you use do mount the winch on that hooks to your iMatch? Maybe I missed it but can’t figure that part out.

What I would like to do is something the same for my 2520 plus be able to use it on a trailer. I am lost when it comes to the actual winch mounts for both.
PMFJI... his original post mentioned using the receiver mount. The part shown below looks to be fabricated but any BEEFY 3PH trailer mover would work - even one made from a Cat1 drawbar and upper support.

fab.jpg 3PH_draw.jpg

Then bolt the winch to something like this.

recvr.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Stan, I made the receiver hitch for my I-Match quite a few years ago.

The winch kit included the plate that the fairlead bolted to, that in turn bolted to the winch. But you also need a hitch mount. I used this one. IMO, it might be the beefiest of the bunch. It's predrilled for a few different winches, the Superwinch being one of them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigid-Hitch-Inc-ATV-UTV-Winch-Mounting-Plate-For-2-Inch-Receivers-ATV-WM2-/201771661468

1 - 12 of 12 Posts