Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Just a little wind damage,, WOW !! how many acres ! Just wondering are you going to save any of your crop ? Either way good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I have no perspective on what that is; looks like maybe corn or grain sorghum? The corn has been gone here for months, so you will have to relieve me of my ignorance. I spent one Summer with a custom cutter, running a combine cutting wheat. It was an open cab 14 foot Gleaner; that should tell you how long ago it was. The boss took on a job cutting some Rye that looked to be 6 or 7 foot tall (when it was standing) and it was all on the ground. They put something called pick-ups on the header, and we harvested that stuff. The most miserable experience I have ever had. We had to run the whole shebang through the combine; it was dry, moldy and the chaff ate us alive. It was slow, but we did get-er-done. I suspect there is a way to harvest your crop also.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's white corn. The corn head has "snouts" that are designed to pick corn up. This just happens to be an extreme example.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, yeah. My parents were green back in the day. I was a little guy and they had a 4520. Then they bought a 4640. When it came time to replace it things changed... They went to buy a new tractor maybe 10 years ago and JD wouldn't budge on the price. Case made them a deal on an MX230 and they haven't really looked back. Now with all the different computers it would be nearly impossible to switch without swapped everything. Think Mac vs PC. There are some cross overs, but even Mac vs PC is somewhat compatible.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've seen instances where they only combine in one direction because the loss going with the wind blow was so substantial. It definitely sucks.

Head looks like an older Case with the good knife rolls. We run one of those a long time on our JD 8820's, then 9600's and finally 9650,before getting a Deere Whirly Bird

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
We had a storm come through here over Labor Day weekend last year. The corn took a beating and the majority ended up like yours. Some of the farmers had rotating fingers attached to the corn head that would help pick up some of the laid over corn. It was slow, as you say, but it was the best solution at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I've seen a good hail storm lay corn down like that but never the wind. We have had some rough straight line winds through where we used to live and they did not even do that kind of damage. Must have been some high winds!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've seen a good hail storm lay corn down like that but never the wind. We have had some rough straight line winds through where we used to live and they did not even do that kind of damage. Must have been some high winds!
Heh, this happens just about every year to us since we moved into the "money pit". I've even had my kids big-ole wooden swingset picked up and tossed about the yard, oh... three times now. Last time I had 6 three foot long rebar stakes in that SOB, and it still got yanked. Rebuilt for the third time in 5 years.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
We planted 4 or 5 rows of corn in our garden this summer. Mid way through the growing season ,the wind took down at least 3/4 of the corn. We got maybe a dozen fresh corn ears. The rest we cut down and took to the neighbors farm . Good luck with yours.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Heh, this happens just about every year to us since we moved into the "money pit". I've even had my kids big-ole wooden swingset picked up and tossed about the yard, oh... three times now. Last time I had 6 three foot long rebar stakes in that SOB, and it still got yanked. Rebuilt for the third time in 5 years.
Keeps your re-building skills up to par and tools well used. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a hail storm near the town of Adair that was pretty intense. Hail will just shred the leaves off the plant. If we were to guess what laid this corn down it was a down burst from a big storm. There was a field just South and East that was all flat so in a way we got "lucky".

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nail on the head Levi.
Snouts and dirt don't mix very well! First time my brother tried combining corn, he bent one under the header. Luckily, we were just starting to run with 2 machines and since my uncle had bought a Deere, my dad bought the old Case off of him to use as parts for our header... which we got off my other, late uncle's estate auction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts