Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know how many are aware of this, but you can accidently start a Win 10 upgrade.

Microsoft sent a Win 10 upgrade into the Windows update section, under optional updates, with it
check marked to install.

If you go ahead and tell your computer to install "important updates" from the important updates section,
it will also start to install Win 10 from the optional updates section.

Lots of folks don't look at the "optional updates" section when they install "important updates" from
the "important updates" section, those optional updates should always be sent unchecked.

Microsoft said it was a mistake that they sent it to users with it check marked "to install".:banghead:
They said they would correct it.

When I looked at the the optional update section on my computer and my wife's computer it was
still checked to install.
I unchecked both because I'm 90% sure, at this time, I will not be upgrading either machine to Win 10.

Figured folks would want to know about this "little accidental glitch" by Microsoft.

-Cajun-

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

Don't be too scared of Win 10, it's not Vista or Win 8.0

Personally, I have it running on all the notebooks at the house. They were a mix of Vista, Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1. The processors range from old Core 2 Duo's to the latest i7's. All of them run faster, more stable, boot quicker and connect to Wi-Fi easier.

Microsoft is also changing the way the updates to Win 10 will be delivered, they will be more like phone updates where they will just be installed and at a time you select, the system will restart. Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The problem with Win 10 isn't how the computer operates for the user, it's how it's turned into spyware sending all your behavior back to MS to sell to the highest, and lowest bidder at will.

I'm going to Linux when I migrate off MS products. 10 was the "X" that indicates "close this relationship window."

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I am running Windows 10 and have been since it was available. No problems whatsoever. For the "phone home to MS", you can turn that off during the installation. Furthermore, you do not have to have a MS account to install it or use it. That is another option during installation.

Dave

·
Old Pa-pa
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hiya,

Don't be too scared of Win 10, it's not Vista or Win 8.0

Personally, I have it running on all the notebooks at the house. They were a mix of Vista, Win 7, Win 8 and 8.1. The processors range from old Core 2 Duo's to the latest i7's. All of them run faster, more stable, boot quicker and connect to Wi-Fi easier.

Microsoft is also changing the way the updates to Win 10 will be delivered, they will be more like phone updates where they will just be installed and at a time you select, the system will restart. Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
On the "run faster" thing, I'm starting to see reports that Win 10 is starting to get slower and slower and starting to be
a little more of a resource hog.

I know when I got my high end laptop (i7 Quad core, 32GB Ram, SSD primary drive) a little over a year ago with Win 8.1, it went from power up to ready to rock and roll in 12 - 13 seconds, now it takes 35 - 40 seconds.
No viruses, malware, but extra stuff from Microsoft updates (some of which I think are really "crapware") added into the OS.

It seems that this is starting to happen already with Win 10.
And on another note, after the initial "rush" to Win 10, downloads of it have slowed down drastically.
The dust ain't settled yet about Win 10 as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being "scared" of it, I'm a retired oilfield electronic tech with 30 years experience on computers, telemetry systems,
gamma detectors, particle accelerators, sonic and ultra sonic imagining systems and electromagnetic imagining systems.
This ain't my first time over to the rodeo.:lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hiya,

Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
Do you mean "take over" in the terminator sense like skynet? The demise of desktops and notebooks has been talked about for more than a decade now. They are not going anywhere over the next 5 years. Why? Because while handheld computer screens continue to get bigger at some point most people get crabby when you can't fit them in your pocket anymore, even if you are the type that wears your baggy pants at your knees. The screens are simply too small.

Eventually, what we call a smartphone today will have enough computing power, and a long enough battery life while that computer power is actually being used, to connect it to a flexible display that rolls out to decent viewable size. Until that time people will always want and need larger displays, greater computing power, a system that runs at maximum performance for longer than a few minutes before it needs to be recharged.

JD

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Here is how to turn off the MS "phone home". As for the MS account, just sign out of the account and then choose to log in to your computer without a MS account.

Dave

privacy.jpg

·
Old Pa-pa
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All right, I'm starting to get damned pi$$ed now!!

I unchecked install Win 10 in the optional updates section 2 days ago, just relooked at it
and it's checked "to install" again!
Apparently unchecking it does no good, when you uncheck the Win 10 update, leave the optional update screen
and than come back to it, it's rechecked "to install". :banghead:

Microsoft said they would correct that that "mistake" on their part, but the damn thing
keeps checking itself to install.

What the hell is going on here?????
I'm not too paranoid of a person, but I'm sure wondering about Microsoft's intent now since
Win 10 upgrades have slowed down a bunch.:nunu:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Desktop and notebook computer devices and OS's are on their way out, handheld devices will take over in less than 5 years.
Not in my house.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yesterday, I couldn't do any updates. Even when I checked the boxes for my Win7, the install for Win10 wouldn't go away. So I gave up.

Today, the Win10 install is gone and I am doing my Win7 updates now.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday, I couldn't do any updates. Even when I checked the boxes for my Win7, the install for Win10 wouldn't go away. So I gave up.

Today, the Win10 install is gone and I am doing my Win7 updates now.
Good deal!!
I'm running Win 8.1 and I guess they haven't done the fix for Win 8.1 yet or I haven't received it yet.
Good to know they are at least working on correcting it.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I don't know how to "uncheck". My machine downloads updates automatically, and will install when I shut down. Now I am afraid to shut my machine down, for fear it will install Windows 10. I want to keep 7!!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Microsoft says it will download it to your machine if you have automatic updates turned on but won't install unless you tell it to. You can turn off automatic updates in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

Here's some more info about it.

Windows 10 update

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
On mine, I open Control Panel....Window Update....Change setting....then selections under Important Updates, select the option that says..."Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install". Save or OK.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know how to "uncheck". My machine downloads updates automatically, and will install when I shut down. Now I am afraid to shut my machine down, for fear it will install Windows 10. I want to keep 7!!
Do what "ilmo" said in post 15.

I think you're safe anyway, the only way I think it will install is if you go to the update section and tell it to
install "important updates" than the Win 10 upgrade in the "optional update" section will "sneak in" along with the
"important updates" you would have OK'ed.
I'm guessing you are OK to shut it down as long as you physically don't tell it to install any updates,
guessing again that "automatic updates" won't install it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
They can decide to uninstall and disable software they deem isn't legally yours. How can they do that without phoning home personal data? :unknown:
Hiya,

Can you detail how the above takes place? I assume your referring to Microsoft as "they" While there are enterprise IT management systems that inventory and install/uninstall software applications on corporate systems, I know of no such removal functionality over the Internet. :flag_of_truce: Not trying to flame anyone, just learn because I don't know everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts