Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the notification the other day for reserving a copy of WIN 10 to be released July 29th. Hard to believe that Microsoft would give anything away, but I guess it's true. They have to make amends for ticking so many people off I'm guessin'. Personally, I don't care much for the 'new style" of operating systems, but you got to go with the flow if you want to stay with technology. Win 7 won't go any higher than DirectX 11. So in order to benefit from the continuing improvements in graphics, OS upgrading is a must. Hopefully it won't be much of a learning /getting used to curve.

I'm sure a lot of our members got this little present. Are you going to take advantage of it?

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
I got the little pop-up the other day and signed up for it. The only reason I did was because they are saying you get the "Start" button back.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Absolutely and on all of my computers.:yahoo: I have upgraded each time; some with really good deals to entice. I personally don't understand the reluctance and dislike of some of the versions as I have used them all but I guess that's why I have the sign in name I do.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,146 Posts
Got the notification the other day for reserving a copy of WIN 10 to be released July 29th. Hard to believe that Microsoft would give anything away, but I guess it's true. They have to make amends for ticking so many people off I'm guessin'. Personally, I don't care much for the 'new style" of operating systems, but you got to go with the flow if you want to stay with technology. Win 7 won't go any higher than DirectX 11. So in order to benefit from the continuing improvements in graphics, OS upgrading is a must. Hopefully it won't be much of a learning /getting used to curve.

I'm sure a lot of our members got this little present. Are you going to take advantage of it?
Yep,, reserved mine the other day. I was surprised to they are giving it away. Going to give back the old original look of windows ,,I GUESS. :dunno:

Even received a notice that Norton will work with Windows 10

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
I reserved Win 10 for our 3 PCs. I didn't know the specifics that glc posted but thought the same needing to upgrade to keep up with the other technology.

I avoided Win 8 - looked especially hard for a Win 7 machine when I bought my last PC.

I agree with JimR - I didn't read all the specs but when I saw that the start button was back that was good enough for me to start.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,429 Posts
I reserved Win 10 for our 3 PCs. I didn't know the specifics that glc posted but thought the same needing to upgrade to keep up with the other technology.

I avoided Win 8 - looked especially hard for a Win 7 machine when I bought my last PC.

I agree with JimR - I didn't read all the specs but when I saw that the start button was back that was good enough for me to start.
Yup, reserve it for download on mine and my wife's.
Don't know when I will install it though, will probably wait for some of the initial "dust" to settle.
There was a lot of "dust" on Win 8 and Win 8.1.

The machine I'm using now came with Win 8.1, was aggravate as heck for a day and a half before
I started getting a handle on it.
Was probably a month before I was really happy with it and had everything the way I wanted it.

Cajun

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Always thought it was interesting that Windows came out with a good OS every other release.

Good OSs, 3.1, 98, XP, Windows 7, and maybe 10 and in between the bad OSs, 95, ME, Vista, Windows 8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
At work I'm a PC. At home I'm a MAC. We're still running Windows 7 on company laptops so it's up to IT whether we upgrade. Probably wait until the next laptop renewal cycle to upgrade to Windows 10.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Maybe Microsoft is learning from Apple and Android, free OS upgrades.

I'll be upgrading my Surface Pro 3 to 10 to give it a try. Many of the testers seem to like it very much.o

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
ive got win. 8.1 and i never got a notification:banghead:

·
Registered
21,560 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Reserved Windows 10 for both our PC's. Looking to get my in-laws off of Vista and to Windows 7 as well. Then they can take advantage of the free upgrade to 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
ive got win. 8.1 and i never got a notification:banghead:

Not sure if you've looked but I believe that if you've turned off your "Automatic Updates" feature, you won't get the notification. May be worth looking at. I just got notified a few days ago so it may also be that your auto update hasn't checked in yet this week.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You don't really have to reserve, it will be free to anyone with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 for a year after it's release.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not sure if you've looked but I believe that if you've turned off your "Automatic Updates" feature, you won't get the notification. May be worth looking at. I just got notified a few days ago so it may also be that your auto update hasn't checked in yet this week.
I don't think they go by that Jim, me and the wife manually update, and we both got the notification. I talked to a few people at work that weren't notified either. Wonder what determines who does/doesn't get it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am not going to be anywhere near a pioneer on this upgrade. Microsoft hasn't offered an upgrade install since clear back in the win 95/98/Me age if I remember correctly. Back then they also had a HORRIBLE track record for the upgrades.

$.02

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
From what I can tell, it will download the upgrade, but then it is up to you to install it. I agree, not changing to something new when it first hits the market. But, I "reserved" 10, and will get it at a later date.

Also, a computer nut friend said that Win8, hit as their answer for a phone OS, but it was not a step up for computer users, and even when they went to 8.1, enough folks were unhappy that they were scrambling for something else.. So, now 10 is designed to be more like 7. He also said he is taking tech courses on it. (He does repairs, etc., when not at his regular job.) It is different enough from the other Win versions, that a few classes were recommended.

I like 7 OK. Still think XP was an easier system, and had some advantages, even over 7, but I can live with 7, and have been for a few years now. If 10 is similar, and no one is complaining too loudly about it in a few months, then I'll install it. Heaven forbid they actually find something that works and makes folks happy, and stick with it, instead of changing all of the time. :banghead:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,429 Posts
Heaven forbid they actually find something that works and makes folks happy, and stick with it, instead of changing all of the time. :banghead:
But it's something "new", we have to have "new" all the time, whether we want it or not.:banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Here is a snapshot of what you will get if you click on the start button in Windows 10. It is a mix of Windows 7/XP and Windows 8/8.1. So you will have a choice of which environment you prefer. I am running the preview copy of Windows 10 in a virtual window on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I have been using Windows 8/8.1 for 2 years without any problems, but I have a way to make it look like Windows 7, which solves the lack of start menu problems. I have reserved my upgrade on 2 of my 3 pc's that are eligible. I have not had the 3rd one on since the upgrade has been available. The 4th one is not eligible. (too old) I will probably not allow the upgrade for a little bit after it becomes available. And then will try one first before allowing it on the others.

There are some things that will not be provided for such as DVD playback without using 3rd party software, but that is easily fixed.

Dave

win10.JPG

1 - 20 of 30 Posts