Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello-i am currently on a lap top toshiba with widows 7. it has had some problems since last week. so last evening i called the geek squad-thru best buy. it took till this afternoon to finally get things working. the fella told me after our connection broke 3 times, that my windows 7 is crying for help, because-all the other sites has upgraded to faster times, and that is why it works wonderfully for a bit, and just freezes, and i have to shut it down, and restart it.

now i am no computer tech guy-what so ever. so i am trying to believe this info to be correct. am i to believe them, cause now instead of windows 10 being free, it's cost is $110 to buy it. they will install it free , because we belong to the geed squad:laugh: so tomorrow afternoon i have a appointment at 2pm for this. am i spending my money foolish or maybe go for windows 8 instead. need feed back, i guess u might as well go for the biggest one-huh. thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Windows 10 was free to upgrade a few months ago. MS pushed it out to get as many people on it as they could. I got 3 free copies for my laptops and desktops and it works pretty well. It is no longer free - as of July 29th you must pay for an upgrade license.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I see you can purchase it for around $99 as a straight up license or you have student/govt. option for around $50.

I would say you aren't getting ripped off. MS may offer some bulk license to the geek squad and they are passing it on to you in the form of "free installation". I don't think you should be concerned. Let them install it that way you have support options if you have any questions.

p.s. - I didn't care AT ALL for Windows 8 - I kept my machines on XP-Pro until the bitter end. Windows 10 isn't bad if you turn off all the tracking/helping features it offers you - it works as good/better than XP did.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
BJ,

I moved this thread to a more appropriate section. :good2:

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I think you'll like it. I know I do.:good2:

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
After a couple tweaks I see no difference from Windows 7 to Windows 10 meaning I am plenty happy enough with Windows 10. They gave everyone a year or more to upgrade for free.

Did you have a specific reason to not do the free upgrade?

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I still have 4 computers running Windows 7 trouble free. I have a newer laptop that came with Windows 10. I cannot see any difference in performance of the Windows 7 machines from when they were new to now.
I have had some issues with both Windows programs, but they were caused by bad software that got picked up when doing Google searches.

I still like Windows 7 better than Windows 10. In Windows 10 they renamed a lot of file folders & changed the location of them.
I bought the new Windows 10 laptop about a year ago to be able to get a clean start with Windows 10 to see if I wanted to upgrade my other computers. I have an older printer that I cannot use with the laptop. When we travel, I always have trouble connecting to wifi at the hotels. There were some other issues of doing things or a public connection that I did not like. I never had any of those problems with the old Windows 7 laptop.

In the end, I did not feel there was any advantage to doing the upgrades of the other computers because Windows 7 was then & is still working fine for me.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
now i am no computer tech guy-what so ever. so i am trying to believe this info to be correct. am i to believe them, cause now instead of windows 10 being free, it's cost is $110 to buy it.
Just a suggestion so you can look at your options -

At $110 that is 1/3 the cost of a new laptop. With a new laptop you are getting everything new - just for example since you are going to Best Buy this one is on sale - has a 1tb hard drive and 6gb of RAM. That is plenty laptop for just surfing the internet.

So for $110 you might not be fixing your problem. For $350 you are getting everything brand new (including Windows 10) and all new hardware with a warranty. You current problem could be a lack of memory - check the memory specs on yours to compare.

HP 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD A10-Series - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Black 15-BA079DX - Best Buy

·
Registered
572 Posts
BigJim, A few things to think about...

Not sure how old your Toshiba laptop is, but loading Windows 10 on it (particularly now that it cost $) isn't necessarily the best option.

Little more techno babble: Web sites these days use target advertising, They do this by looking at your Browser cache (all the other websites you've visited and other products you've looked up). If you don't flush this periodically, the more little advertising banners the web site has, the slower the page will seem to load. Any other Browser toolbars, add-ons and extensions you have enabled may also contribute to a slow web experience.​

If it was me, and I had all my stuff backed up, I'd blow it out and do a clean install of Windows 7 (assuming you have the disk). There's absolutely no reason you can't surf web sites with a reasonable PC and Windows 7. Windows is notorious for needing to be re-installed every couple years, as adding and removing programs & such slows things down. If you can fix what you have and hold off for another year or two, PC prices will continue to fall and Windows 11 or 12 will be out. You'll be due for a new laptop or what ever technology is out by then anyway.

If the Geek Squad is going to do an UPGRADE to windows 10, rather than a clean install , some of your problems may persist. My guess, they are doing the Upgrade for free as this keeps all your files, applications and settings, its also much faster. A clean install and reload of all your applications, documents and pictures will take quite some time.

Stan's points are also very valid on pricing of a new laptop.

Just one guys opinion.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Windows 8 Blows..

I've heard 10 can be better but I'm too scared to try it....

7 was Great:munch:

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
Big Jim, I have windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop ,,it had W7 , wife has a Dell Desktop had W8 now W10.. Been happy so far .

But as another mentioned ,While at Best Buy look at a new Toshiba ,, (been happy with mine) not crazy about HP They are good ???:dunno::munch:

But for another $200-300 brand new , new warranty :munch:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
BigJim, A few things to think about...

Not sure how old your Toshiba laptop is, but loading Windows 10 on it (particularly now that it cost $) isn't necessarily the best option.

Little more techno babble: Web sites these days use target advertising, They do this by looking at your Browser cache (all the other websites you've visited and other products you've looked up). If you don't flush this periodically, the more little advertising banners the web site has, the slower the page will seem to load. Any other Browser toolbars, add-ons and extensions you have enabled may also contribute to a slow web experience.​

If it was me, and I had all my stuff backed up, I'd blow it out and do a clean install of Windows 7 (assuming you have the disk). There's absolutely no reason you can't surf web sites with a reasonable PC and Windows 7. Windows is notorious for needing to be re-installed every couple years, as adding and removing programs & such slows things down. If you can fix what you have and hold off for another year or two, PC prices will continue to fall and Windows 11 or 12 will be out. You'll be due for a new laptop or what ever technology is out by then anyway.

If the Geek Squad is going to do an UPGRADE to windows 10, rather than a clean install , some of your problems may persist. My guess, they are doing the Upgrade for free as this keeps all your files, applications and settings, its also much faster. A clean install and reload of all your applications, documents and pictures will take quite some time.

Stan's points are also very valid on pricing of a new laptop.

Just one guys opinion.
I agree with this, there is no good reason a Windows 7 computer shouldn't still be adequate for your needs, Windows 10 just added a bunch of new "features" and is supposedly more secure, but I don't see that much difference in speed. I had 2 Win7 and 2 Win8 computers that I upgraded to Win 10 just because it was free but I probably wouldn't have had it cost me anything.

Depending on the age of your laptop and the processor and amount of memory, it might not even do as well on Win10 as Win7. Coaltrain made some good points about checking into a new one.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You really do want to think about just going with a new laptop. I just received my new 17.3 inch laptop today with Win10, 8GB of ram and 1TB hard drive that I bought for $329 (refurb). Too good of a deal to pass up and it has a touch screen that I will probably never use. My current 17.3 inch laptop had Win8 when I bought it over 3 years ago and now has Win10, however I use it sometimes 12-14 hours a day as it is my main computer and it is showing some wear. I now have 3 laptops and 2 desktops, all with Win10, but it is much better to lean back in my recliner with a laptop than to sit at a desk, so it gets used a lot. Generally speaking, laptops do not last as long as desktops and are not as easy to upgrade or repair. Keep that in mind.

Dave

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
hello-i am currently on a lap top toshiba with widows 7. it has had some problems since last week. so last evening i called the geek squad-thru best buy. it took till this afternoon to finally get things working. the fella told me after our connection broke 3 times, that my windows 7 is crying for help, because-all the other sites has upgraded to faster times, and that is why it works wonderfully for a bit, and just freezes, and i have to shut it down, and restart it.

now i am no computer tech guy-what so ever. so i am trying to believe this info to be correct. am i to believe them, cause now instead of windows 10 being free, it's cost is $110 to buy it. they will install it free , because we belong to the geed squad:laugh: so tomorrow afternoon i have a appointment at 2pm for this. am i spending my money foolish or maybe go for windows 8 instead. need feed back, i guess u might as well go for the biggest one-huh. thanks.
I run a Windows 10 and a Windows 7 instance out of my house. While I predominantly use the Windows 10 instance because it has the few Windows-only programs on it that I actually need (I'm a Mac user by default), I have absolutely zero issue using the Windows 7 instance for whatever I need it to do. So, the line about "the rest of the world upgraded and is faster than you" (because you're on Windows 7) is a load of garbage.

Now, that isn't to say that your laptop itself isn't bogging things down by being older (and slower) hardware. So here are some things to consider:

- Upgrading an old, slow machine to Windows 10 isn't going to make it faster. Ever. If the underlying problem is that the hardware can't handle the heavier workload put it on by today's programs and such, a newer operating system is not going to help at all.

- Any "issues" that your current machine might have due to malware, viruses, bad configurations, corrupt files or registry entries will simply carry forward with a new operating system install. So, again, the upgrade won't make things any better.

- As already stated, taking on the $100 cost of the license upgrade to Windows 10 can be put toward a brand new machine with a brand new warranty and much faster hardware.

The decision is ultimately yours, but this is a big factor in why I migrated away from the Windows world about five years ago - I got tired of replacing the machine every time the warranty ended just because it had gotten so slow. I would suggest you take a look at the technical specifications of your laptop and see if the hardware is what the true problem is. The single biggest "slow-down" item is the hard disk. Laptops typically use mechanical (spinning) drives with slow transfer rates (5400RPM). When that drive gets 3/4 or more full, it drags windows WAY down in speed. If you DO replace the machine, look at one with an SSD (Solid State Drive) - no moving parts and transfer rates are MUCH faster. And be sure you get a decent amount of RAM so that your programs will run efficiently - this is the second area where folks tend to go low on specs and suffer as a result.

·
Registered
592 Posts
- Any "issues" that your current machine might have due to malware, viruses, bad configurations, corrupt files or registry entries will simply carry forward with a new operating system install. So, again, the upgrade won't make things any better.
I am having trouble figuring out if they are upgrading or performing a new install. If a new install is performed, the system is wiped and should be clean. I definitely wouldn't have them perform an upgrade for your reason alone.

Rather than a new laptop, check out the refurb section of Dell. You can get a much better machine, with a factory warranty, for less money. I do this with any machine I buy.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I am having trouble figuring out if they are upgrading or performing a new install. If a new install is performed, the system is wiped and should be clean. I definitely wouldn't have them perform an upgrade for your reason alone.

Rather than a new laptop, check out the refurb section of Dell. You can get a much better machine, with a factory warranty, for less money. I do this with any machine I buy.
And I would -never- let anyone from the Geek Squad touch my computer, period, let alone do a fresh install of an OS on a machine because of all of the potential issues with drivers and such.

·
Registered
481 Posts

It was free but I just checked the MS Web Site and it list Windows 10 Home at $119.99 and the Pro version is $199.99. Microsoft sucks. They tried to force me to 10 and I rejected it several time. I went out of town for a weekend and left my computer on and when I go back it was running windows 10. Without my permission. I reverted back to Windows 7 and there I will stay. Too many people have complained that their older machines ran like crap after the upgrade.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i'm back home with my same puter, and no windows 10. after all this confusion with the different geek guys on the phone. this 21yr ol guy up and dumped 12,518 items off my chrome browser. it starts up a lot better, and i was able to get on here(GTT) and have since changed my password twice.

could not retrieve our pics off the disc thou. so no homerun their. now this fella claimed also i have plenty of memory,and ram to work fine. he claims it just needed the browser dumped. was done in 15 minutes, all the while i stand there with my mouth on the floor:laugh: but he was nice enough to show me and THE WIFE how to delete it from time to time. according to what we researched on line about this problem, it will return in a few days to several weeks. so time will only tell. i did get a set of ear phones to listen to my stuff while the wife is watching tv. these earphones are at the price of Gizmo2's price range $00 to $00:lol: nah-$20 i just can't stand to have ear buds, never could stand the hearing protectors, always wore ear muffs. ok-thanks-later:bye2:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts