Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good points RsZk,

I don't think Farmgirl had any intent on getting a Mac. We somehow just got off the track which happens when Windows and Mac are typed anywhere on the same page. :laugh:

I'm betting she has more tech savvy than she is admitting to and could pick up on any of them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hi Jim,
Yes,patches and updates and such are still GTG,but DX11.1 (full version) is Win 8 only. Right now there isn't much of a difference between DX11 and DX11.1,but as they keep progressing with it, Win 7 users that refuse to jump on the 8 bandwagon will be left out.:(
What I was getting at is patches and updates for XP ends in April next year. Vista and up is all that will maintain support from Microsoft as the rest will be end if life.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
We somehow just got off the track which happens when Windows and Mac are typed anywhere on the same page.
Oh so right Dave. Kind of like Ford and Chevy.
Farmgirl,I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ya, sorry FarmGirl. Just stick with Home edition like I 'originally' said... ;)

Jim

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If you need a new machine, why not go to Windows 8, as you are going to have to learn it sooner or later with the way technology is speeding along. If you change out to Mac, be prepared for a similar learning curve as it is quite a different OS than Windows.
The only thing I would say to that, is that I am still running XP (and I may end up getting a Win7 PC, but it will be the Pro version so I can run in XP mode). Thus far I have skipped Vista, 7 and 8/8.1. I would offer a different take, if farmgirl likes 7, I would stick with that because before you know it Win 9 or 10 will be out, and I'm sure it will be completely different than 8.

And by the way, my wife recently bought a laptop with 8/8.1. Man that OS sucks. More useless garbage installed on it than I've ever seen, and trying to find stuff is impossible.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't mind my thread being hijacked. It's not like I have never done that! :mocking:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh so right Dave. Kind of like Ford and Chevy.
Farmgirl,I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.
Umm, FORD all the way... LOL
JK

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sorry, I'm a Mopar guy. :p

Jim

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
'10 Ram 2500 crew cab Laramie short box 4x4 with somewhat modded 6.7 Cummins and G56 6 spd manual.

'12 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon loaded with 6 spd manual. (Wife's)

And '01 Ton TJ2a is what we call it, Wrangler.. Nothing stock on it.

Really sorry FarmGirl... :)

Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
It was probably me who introduced the word "Mac" in this thread, but I wasn't by any means suggesting to Farmgirl to buy one. She clearly was wanting opinions on Windows 7 Home versus Windows 7 Pro. I just wanted to point out that I have Windows 7 Pro on my work PC after years of my company using XP Pro. I have seen Vista, but wasn't impressed and the only thing I know about 8 is from what my co-workers tell me, who most of them don't like it.

Farmgirl, it sounds like the Home edition will be fine for your needs, but I think I would spend the extra $20 and get the Pro version. But I like to have the better, more capable packages in things as long as it don't break the bank.

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
It was probably me who introduced the word "Mac" in this thread, but I wasn't by any means suggesting to Farmgirl to buy one. She clearly was wanting opinions on Windows 7 Home versus Windows 7 Pro. I just wanted to point out that I have Windows 7 Pro on my work PC after years of my company using XP Pro. I have seen Vista, but wasn't impressed and the only thing I know about 8 is from what my co-workers tell me, who most of them don't like it.

Farmgirl, it sounds like the Home edition will be fine for your needs, but I think I would spend the extra $20 and get the Pro version. But I like to have the better, more capable packages in things as long as it don't break the bank.
Yeah, I agree. $20 is very reasonable for an upgrade that would cost a lot more if you needed it later.

·
Registered
892 Posts
But Micro$oft already has enough $$. ;)

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
OK- I read all of the above posts. I recently was worrried about the Windows XP Support being deleted in April. Sons and friends suggested an upgrade. I Did that to an HP Pavillion Quad Processeor, 10GB Ram, TB Of hard drive etc, etc, etc,! I ordered it w/ Win 7. I heard bad things about the leap to 8, 8.1. Like FG19, I'm (Self-admittedly) not the swiftest on Computer issues. OK New PC, New OS, I'm stumbling along. Jump from XP to Win 7 wasn't that tough. One thing bugs me! The sound! XP use to have a sound-board that would 'pop-up' on a double click of the mouse! My Bass is booming! Any help out there? I can't find a sound board type setting! TIA ~Scotty

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
OK- I read all of the above posts. I recently was worrried about the Windows XP Support being deleted in April. Sons and friends suggested an upgrade. I Did that to an HP Pavillion Quad Processeor, 10GB Ram, TB Of hard drive etc, etc, etc,! I ordered it w/ Win 7. I heard bad things about the leap to 8, 8.1. Like FG19, I'm (Self-admittedly) not the swiftest on Computer issues. OK New PC, New OS, I'm stumbling along. Jump from XP to Win 7 wasn't that tough. One thing bugs me! The sound! XP use to have a sound-board that would 'pop-up' on a double click of the mouse! My Bass is booming! Any help out there? I can't find a sound board type setting! TIA ~Scotty

Difficult to point you in the right direction as each pc maker does things differently. But, I think you are looking for the equalizer. Or barring that, look for a sub woofer choice that you can modify. My laptop has a built in sub woofer and I can modify it. With the equalizer, you can reduce the volume for low frequencies. Try right clicking on the sound icon in the system tray (bottom right of screen) to see what options are available to you.

Dave

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
hey guys i have a problem on window 7
i an unable to activate it... any help!!
You will need the number that is either on the disk (when supplied), or on the bottom of your laptop, or bottom or back of your computer tower. Other than that, I wouldn't know. But the folks on here have helped me in the computer world a lot.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If it's a laptop, I've seen it many times underneath the battery.

Jim

·
Registered
206 Posts
If it's a laptop, I've seen it many times underneath the battery.

Jim
If you cannot activate (that's the process of it going to the internet and verifying your code), it's different than not having your product key (which is the reference to looking for the sticker).

If you don't have your product key... use:
KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean It works well, use the free version... This is to find out what PRODUCT key was used to install your windows (if the sticker was lost). this is NOT an illegal product nor is it meant to be used illegally (ie: don't run it on a friends laptop, to use to install windows on your laptop).

If you are just having a hard time activating (via the internet), use the "I don't have an internet connection" link, or "activate by phone." Believe it or not their phone activation system works pretty well. You have to rattle off 8 groups of 6 numbers to a phone system, and it'll ask how many computers do you have this installed on (only answer "one" or you'll screw them ALL up). It'll then rattle off another series of numbers for you to enter, and POOF, you're activated.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Sound Graphic Controller Windows 7

Ok - Well after a call to HP Support, (45mins) to India to no avail, I called Altec Lansing. Another 1/2 Hour with a lovely gal that admitted she didn't know. I will say both of the Support Sites Got me to a Human in fairly 'short-Order' > Well I was faced with calling MicroSoft Windows...... a call I really dreaded, for waiting etc. Well, began to 'surf again. Viola! Sucess! I wanted to report back to Windows 7 users:

The graphic equalizer allows you to adjust different sound frequency ranges to enhance your listening experience. For example, classical music often sounds better if you enhance the low frequency ranges (on the left side of the graphic equalizer).

Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.
If the Player is currently open and you’re in the Player Library, click the Switch to Now Playing button in the lower-right corner of the Player.
Right-click an open space in the Player (to the left of the Stop button, for example), point to Enhancements, and then click Graphic equalizer.

Click the Turn on link, if visible, and then do one of the following:

Select an option, such as rock or jazz, from the Default list.

Create your own setting by moving the equalizer sliders to the levels that you want to use. Your changes are saved automatically to the Custom preset.

To control how the sliders move in relation to one another, click one of the slider option buttons to the left of the equalizer.

To revert to the default settings, click the Reset link.

To hide the settings, click the Close button .

I also learned that it is a law that if you get a person from Customer Service, that you can't understand, (Foreign Country?) you can request that you be transferred to a Mainland USA Rep which they can do in seconds....... I'm not predjust, but guess with my hearing and cheap "Dumb-Phone" sometimes I don't understand! It also saves USA Call Center Jobs........ Just wanted to get back to the group that's helped me so much through the years! ~Scotty :laugh:

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-media-player-audio-effects#1TC=windows-7

21 - 40 of 42 Posts