Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this new laptop, although fine, it seems everything I do online there is a slight lag. My wife has told me about this issue on hers for some time. Now that I also have Windows 8 and Avast, I cannot figure out which is the issue. Anyone else running these 2?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So this new laptop, although fine, it seems everything I do online there is a slight lag. My wife has told me about this issue on hers for some time. Now that I also have Windows 8 and Avast, I cannot figure out which is the issue. Anyone else running these 2?
I have a windows 8 laptop and use Norton internet security and do not have any issues with it other than I do not like windows 8. My other 2 laptops are windows 7 and they are more user friendly imo. Are you using a wireless connection or hardwire? All 3 of our laptops are wireless and we use charter and we do not experience any lag issues as you described. We have a total of 9 computers that we run off of our internet and all have norton

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no wireless, I would just assume a base laptop new would work better than a base one over 4 years old. but this issue is the same as my wife's. Let me turn it off completely, Avast and see if things get better, may have to change virus programs...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

You guys do know that Windows 8.1 already includes a full version of Microsoft Windows Defender AV and malware protection correct?

This and using a non-administrative account along with common sense for daily use pretty much keeps you virus and malware free. I stopped paying for AV years ago.

Tom

defender.JPG

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Hiya,

You guys do know that Windows 8.1 already includes a full version of Microsoft Windows Defender AV and malware protection correct?

This and using a non-administrative account along with common sense for daily use pretty much keeps you virus and malware free. I stopped paying for AV years ago.

Tom

View attachment 48154
X2 :good2:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
That is correct that Windows includes free Windows Defender for anti-virus protection, previously named Security Essentials. However, most manufacturers include some third party anti-virus program, usually called bloatware. It always is only active for a short time before you have to upgrade from a trial to a paid version. Otherwise it dies and is no longer protecting you. This is how most of the anti-virus vendors make most of their money. If you remove the third party program, sometimes you have to make sure Defender is re-activated.

Many of these third party programs slow down your computer and also make it difficult for certain functions to operate. For example, I once had to uninstall one of these third party programs in order to get a printer to work.

I have used the free Microsoft anti-virus programs since there were first available and have never had a single problem. I highly recommend them.

Dave

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The lag most likely is due to the browser you are using, which out of the box would be Internet Explorer. Try Chrome or Firefox instead. Both load pages much faster than IE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts