Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old computer, with Windows XP, sp3. Let me say right off I am not very computer literate, although I do spend a lot of time on it. Recently, my computer has taken on its own personality...all of a sudden, the cursor, on its own volition, opens every tab it crosses, resulting in stuff popping up on the screen I never dreamed of. I can eventually get it all off, but sometimes I have to reboot. I have run AVG and Superantispyware, and nothing, not even a little bug. In addition, sometimes it is sloooooow! Any thoughts? Yeah, I know, it's time for a new computer, although I am comfortable with this one when it works correctly.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I agree. It sounds like a sticking mouse. They do wear out.

Dave

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I found a long time ago that if I stick with a Microsoft mouse, I have better luck than with any of the others. Currently I am using a Microsoft Arc Mouse and it is 4 years old, but still works flawlessly. It is wireless and I like it because I can flatten it to shut it off to save battery. Secondly, when I need to take my laptop somewhere in my travel case, the Arc mouse takes up very little room in it's flattened state. It costs a little more up front, but pays off in the long run.

Dave

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I go through one a year...I use a Logitech Performance MX one and the switch goes out on it.
My favorite also. Mine is starting to act up. I tried to open it to clean it but don't see how. Blew some air under the buttons and it helped a little. Never had a switch problem since I never use it.

I found a long time ago that if I stick with a Microsoft mouse, I have better luck than with any of the others. Currently I am using a Microsoft Arc Mouse and it is 4 years old, but still works flawlessly. It is wireless and I like it because I can flatten it to shut it off to save battery. Secondly, when I need to take my laptop somewhere in my travel case, the Arc mouse takes up very little room in it's flattened state. It costs a little more up front, but pays off in the long run.

Dave

View attachment 400890
Now that is cool - never saw a mouse like that.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I definitely second (or third or fourth?) the idea of trying a different mouse. Even if you have to buy one to test with, you can get simple USB mice for under $10 at Walmart.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
download and run malwarebytes.org. its free. takes a while to scan. you can pay for premium if you want tho.
Malwarebytes is a good program, but sometimes what it shows you for info is a bit "deep" for some folks. There are forums where you can post the output of the program and they'll help you to decipher if there's an issue (and what to do about it).

For this specific instance, I'm sticking with the suggestion to check another mouse before doing anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, looks like I came to the right place. Got an old mouse from my Son In Law, plugged it in and it has solved 90% of my problems! I use SuperAntiSpyware and AVG anti virus, and have run them many, many times and no bugs of any kind. The Malwarebites is familiar; I think I used it some time back. I'll give it a try and see if it picks up something.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Recovery

Well, looks like I came to the right place. Got an old mouse from my Son In Law, plugged it in and it has solved 90% of my problems! I use SuperAntiSpyware and AVG anti virus, and have run them many, many times and no bugs of any kind. The Malwarebites is familiar; I think I used it some time back. I'll give it a try and see if it picks up something.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Dennis
Glad you got good advice on the mouse. I've also used Crapcleaner with some success, How to use CCleaner | The Download Blog - CNET Download.com . I think that each malware program has slightly different parameters and sometimes I've run several different ones before I was sure that things were really clean.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been using Crapcleaner for quite some time; in fact I run it several times a day. I think (don't know for sure) that some of the sites have an effect on the computer, even after you have left them. Cleaning the crap seems to improve the overall performance; even if it doesn't, it makes me feel better!

·
Registered
217 Posts
As to it running slow, go to the start menu on the lower left corner and in the search menu type msconfig.

A small window will open. Select the startup tab and select disable all. Restart the computer and it will run several times faster.

Basically, you have a ton of unnecessary stuff running in the background. If there is anything that needs to run in the background it will turn itself back on during the restart. You should do this every few months.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
As to it running slow, go to the start menu on the lower left corner and in the search menu type msconfig.

A small window will open. Select the startup tab and select disable all. Restart the computer and it will run several times faster.

Basically, you have a ton of unnecessary stuff running in the background. If there is anything that needs to run in the background it will turn itself back on during the restart. You should do this every few months.

Yes, this will likely speed up your computer. But, it may also make it unstable and it could also prevent some programs from working properly. Items that run in the background as Services are not controlled from this tab. And, anything disabled from launching at Startup like this will almost never "turn itself back on" because the program isn't running.

Instead of just disabling everything, I would suggest that you look very closely at the items that are configured to start on boot and disable any that you KNOW you don't need.

Use Windows Explorer to browse to the folders where the files are running from, look at what the files are "in support of" (what programs are they part of), and disable ones that maybe you no longer use or that you use very infrequently.

You can usually type in the name of the executable file itself into Google and get an idea of what it's for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It will not make the computer unstable. I have to disagree with you on that. I've been doing this since Windows came out.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
It will not necessarily make Windows unstable, but programs that may be needed will not run. There are reasons why these programs are in the startup folder. For example, my computer lists my audio manager in the startup folder. My sound might not work without it. However, checking periodically to see if any new programs have been added is a good idea. Some of the spyware/malware stuff gets added to the startup folder. That is one of the first thing I check when checking a computer that is reported to run slowly or erratically. Anything that I cannot determine to be valid gets disabled. Although retired from computer work, I still work on computers, a lot of them using remote access to anywhere in the country.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
We're also potentially looking at a semantics issue. My definition of unstable aligns very well with the kind of description of possible issues that ddinham just gave. I'm not necessarily trying to say that it's going to give you a BSOD (blue screen of death) and reboot. Unstable in the sense that things aren't working correctly, including a loss of performance for any reason. Turning off those things from Startup can have that kind of impact.

In over 20 years of working with and ON technology, and building my own PC's and computer networks, this is the first time I've ever heard of the recommendation to disable everything from Startup on a regular basis.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know fellas. I've been doing it since windows 95 and have yet to have any issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
I don't know fellas. I've been doing it since windows 95 and have yet to have any issues.
Same here.
For years, I have done the same. I don't have, or want anything in Startup. I will even go as far as going directly to the Registry, so I can physically delete them from the Startup folder. I have never had any type of issue, even with Win 10.

You figure, all Startup does is automatically start a program when you boot your system. Removing it from Startup doesn't remove the program or any part of it. All you are doing is removing it's ability to start automatically.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts