Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor is borrowing my chain saw to cut up a serious amount of wood. Since its in the single digits, I am considering running a thinner bar and chain oil. My thoughts were rotella 5w40 syn since I have a ton of it.

Do you guys go to a lighter bar and chain oil? Am I on the right track or over thinking it.

I have a Stihl 361 if it matters.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Shouldnt be a problem Brian...One of my friends had to use Vegetable oil...yes Veggie oil you buy at the grocery store in his saw when he was cutting a "enviromently sensitive" area...Didnt hurt the saw. He might have had to adjust the oiling level...I dunno for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have adjustable flow, and its already cranked to the max:thumbup1gif:. The new saws do not let you spit out oil like the older ones.

So your Stihl should be fine with thinner oil in it for the cold weather!... Because the ''regular bar oil'' does get thicker when it's cold, and probably wouldn't lube the bar/chain very well!

I tried to dump out the current bar oil in the saw and it is like tar in the cold. I am going to try the 5w40 and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Brian, I know this is too late and also that you had a bunch of the other oil but I just wanted to say that there is a winter grade of Bar and Chain oil that is much less viscous and works well in the winter. I run that with my Stihl 044 and 020 when it is cold out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts