Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
x750 with about 90 hours on the clock. I am running a diesel additive (can't remember the name).

Temps were in the upper 40's here over the weekend, and I got to spend some quality time in the pole-barn / shop, organizing, putting things away (just moved in to this acreage in July).

The x750 hasn't run since early November. Manual says not to let it idle for long periods of time. Wondering if I should fire it up, run around the yard a for a while, or just let her sit for the duration of the winter(?). Thoughts...

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Assuming you have a battery tender on the battery - which is important for winter storage.. unless you are going to get it out and run it enough to get it good and hot, you are better off letting it sit. Starting it periodically in the cold and not allowing it to fully warm up is not a good idea.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jgayman.

I don't have power to the shed yet, so battery tender is not an option right now. Hopefully this spring : )

I'll let her sit until it's time to mow grass again. Daubs

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Thanks jgayman.

I don't have power to the shed yet, so battery tender is not an option right now. Hopefully this spring : )

I don't have power in my shed either. I use a Deltran 10-watt solar Battery Tender. It works quite well for the battery in my 2720. I don't have any south facing windows so I just stick it in the west facing window and it works fine.

·
Registered
22,746 Posts
Thanks jgayman.

Second best option with no power to a battery tender is to remove the battery and store it in a semi-warm place. If a battery gets to be discharged then it will be susceptible to freezing.

Other than that I agree with jgayman above 100%.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Second best option with no power to a battery tender is to remove the battery and store it in a semi-warm place. If a battery gets to be discharged then it will be susceptible to freezing.

Other than that I agree with jgayman above 100%.
Just was going to say that. Pull the battery and put it inside it will last longer. If you do not have a tender charge it up a couple times during the winter to top it off. Having the top of the battery clean is good too it keeps stray voltage from draining it down a little faster. Starting it with out making it hot enough to burn out the water condensation will just make more. I let fire pumps and other gas engines sit all winter with out starting them. Important to treat or get all the gas out of them including running them dry.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Since we are slow I cranked everything on the lot today. Some have not been started in 2 mo. All started with a lil fart and gag but cleared up with in 20 sec. By the time I got to the end of line I increased the throttles and let em run for a while. Maybe .2 hrs. All did fine.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an old 1972 Chevy K20 4x4 that has been sitting in a storage lot for a few years. The battery is home on the tender in the garage...I started it two years ago, was rough.

Master cylinder blew out, so will have to get it towed to the brake shop.

Not looking forward to starting up that old 350 V8...

Crossing fingers...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Daubs, Your fuel is treated in your X750, so that's not a problem. Keep battery warm and on a battery tender and that won't be a problem either. You'll be good to go in the spring without starting during the storage season.

For your "old 350," do you use a fuel stabilizer? Gas will "go bad" after a month or 2. I use StaBil in my gas in all of my small engines. I use very little 2-cycle fuel, but I use StaBil in that also. I'm on my 4th or 5th year on a can of 2-cycle fuel and my saw & weed wacker start after 3 or 4 pulls. Add a stabilizer to your K20 and keep tank FULL...prevents condensation. Bob

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Solar battery tender

Thanks jgayman.

You can get solar battery tenders that seem to work pretty well. I leave one on my dump trailer if it's parked where the cows can't get to it. They will chew on any exposed wire just to see what it is.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
590 Posts
If I’m not using my 2520 at least once a week, I’ll make sure I start it and let it warm up and then run full throttle for at least 1/2 hr before shutting down. They way I see it, getting it hot will evaporate moisture in oils, good for hyd system by keeping it lubed up, water pump last longer, battery stays charged and is better for the fuel system. I might put an additional 20hrs per year on the tractor by doing this, but heck, it should last several thousand hours. I also do this to my mower, tiller and log splitter. I just consider a PM program. For the last 40yrs, by doing this, has been very successful for me. Everything from combines, tractors, grain trucks and small powered equipment has always started when I wanted it to. Engines don’t like to sit still for months at a time, weird things happen, like rodents will find a home in them. If possible, I will take the 2520 out for a joy ride, as he also likes to stretch his legs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts