Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:empathy3: What do you guys do to store you implements over the winter?

Most things I have I give a good washing and then throw a little paint on the areas that need it and call it good. My tiller is the exception. I spray the tines with WD40. I would normally do diesel and used oil mixture but i don't want that in the ground.

This year I am thinking of what to spray the rotarty cutter with. Prior i just painted any spots that the paint wore off and let it go. This year I am thinking of trying linseed oil. I guerss it dries hard and might even help in cleanup.

Anyone have any tricks?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I use WD-40 on loader and backhoe metal, also on cutting blade of the box blade. For the sickle bar, after lubing everything I use Fluid Film on the cutters themselves. Any rust or deterioration there would be worse than on the loader or backhoe.

This winter the land plane will be stored outside (everything else is under cover) and it will get Fluid Film on the blades, it does better with exposure to the elements than WD-40.

WD-40 is cheap, doesn't weather as well. Fluid Film is expensive, weathers better.

The fluid film comes down to about 80 cents per application, but when you look at the cost of what you're preserving it's OK. I still hate buying it though...

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I must admit I really don't do anything special. However last year I did use fluid film on the decks after cleaning and sharpening. I am becoming a believer in the stuff. :thumbup1gif: I just don't think it makes senes to repaint wear surfaces.

http://fluidfilm.com/index.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts