Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any issues with the "Big storm"? We got 6" of snow and some real good wind. The power must have blinked because the DirecTv recievers were on this morning, but the clocks didn't reset on the stove and microwave. I got to move snow with the 1026 and H120. That was an ordeal. It went pretty well, but I will say this spring I'm going to have some divites to replace. Down pressure is great, but not on soft lawn.... They had us in a Blizzard warning so I assumed the worst. It was just another winter storm. We had a couple cracks of lightning and thunder, but that was about it. Oh well. Anyone else have any stories?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Anybody have any issues with the "Big storm"? We got 6" of snow and some real good wind. The power must have blinked because the DirecTv recievers were on this morning, but the clocks didn't reset on the stove and microwave. I got to move snow with the 1026 and H120. That was an ordeal. It went pretty well, but I will say this spring I'm going to have some divites to replace. Down pressure is great, but not on soft lawn.... They had us in a Blizzard warning so I assumed the worst. It was just another winter storm. We had a couple cracks of lightning and thunder, but that was about it. Oh well. Anyone else have any stories?

We got 8 or 10 inches here. The wind is starting to wind up now. I'm definitely stuck at home for awhile. I have my x748 and 47 inch blower ready to spring into action when the wind dies down.

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
North central Missouri:

About an inch of 3/8-1/2" hail last night around nine pm, 2/3" or so of rain. Then after 4 AM, we've had 2-3" of snow, wet at first, now it's dryer & blowing in the high winds. Other than scooping to the shop (50'), I won't mess with it until afternoon. Should be done by then. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
10" here in Des Moines. Power went out at about 4AM and came back on about 10AM.

Got the drive cleared with the 2305/blower and it was a challenge. REALLY heavy snow.

We also have a lot of trees hanging from wet snow. Not sure what is broke or just bending at this point.

I will be surprised if we don't lose power again as its really windy.

Mid American said 40,000 customers were without power this morning.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
So far I have less than 4" of snow in my yard, not a big deal yet. Just got back from town, roads are in good shape, I didnt even put the chev in 4-wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Just looked at snow totals. Looks like we got 13.1 Hard to tell when you have 30 mph winds moving it around !

So add three to my previous post.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just getting done with a 12 hour shift plowing here at work. Just talked to the wife big drifts at home get to finally try the bucket extensions. First snow with the 2305, tired but excited to try it out.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been plenty without power around here. Our office just went off the Generator. I know lots of people on Facebook are without power still. It will be nice to have the moisture. I think the wind saved some of our trees. The snow couldn't pile up like if it were calm. We would have had limbs down all over if that were the case. This snow was WET. All of our trees have a nice frosted look to them and the backyard is pretty scenic.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Eastern Iowa

We had rain until 11 am. The snow seems to be over but boy is it ever blowing! I don't think we got more than a few inches. No use going out until it stops blowing.

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Ended up with 3-4" here, hard to tell with up to 47 mph gusts. I've scooped one small drift between the house & shop several times today. I'll wait until tomorrow to clear the drive. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Is this the storm that's hitting PA now? Supposed to get a few inches of rain tonight, but some ice and snow north of us.

It will be a brown Christmas in my area. :(

·
Premium Member
7,684 Posts
For me it was an inch or so at best with the high winds blowing most of it away. What stayed behind pretty much melted away today.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The news is reporting that Green Bay got 10". I only have 5-6" in my yard, just south of Green Bay. It got windy over night. The snow that fell is very wet, so its not drifting much. The roads are in good shape near me.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Snow part of storm just getting here, had strong wind all night, about 1" of rain . We're suppose to end up with 6-12" by Sat evening when it is suppose to be moving out of our area . But like some of the others said ,may be hard to measure true amount with the high winds . Put blower on yesterday so ready to have fun.
Tomorrow evening our church is having our Christmas dinner, play and luminary will be helping to set out 200 milk jugs. Going to be one busy day ,guessing I'll do driveways first thing if we get an snow, at 10am hook the trailer to tractor to set out the milk jugs, at noon go for final play practice, around 330pm go help light the candles, then if snowing do the church parking lot again , 530p, come and get ready to go eat , then take part in play and then guessing do driveways ..
Guessing I'll be snacking for lunch ,but knowing the amount of food that will be at the dinner ,,no problem !!!

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Just a dusting here in the St. Louis areas, but wind gusts were up to over 60 mph yesterday with reports of close to 70 (67 mph). When it was snowing, it ended up in Illinois with the wind blowing. Wind has decrease now, gusts are in the 30-35 mph range this morning. Looks like another system Christmas day that might bring snow.

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Cleared the drifts with the 314 & 49 blower this morning. Then cleaned up the rest with the 420 & 54 blade. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Issures with "Draco"?

Other than pure green jealousy of you guys in the snow zone... I'd like to ask what the names were of the first 3 storms before "Draco"? And since when are Winter Storms getting names anyway? The first I heard a blizz called by any name was when Weather Channel's super lovely Vivian Brown yesterday mentioned it... Is this another move by the W/C to bring more high dramatic tension to the same weather conditions we've all been seeing for the last millennium?

"...and on the weather horizon, Winter Storm "Excaliber" is forming off the coast of Hawaii and will bring mass destruction to Alaska and the Pacific NW... or it might just rain a little...":laugh:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Is this another move by the W/C to bring more high dramatic tension to the same weather conditions we've all been seeing for the last millennium?
EXACTLY! NOAA said they aren't going to name the storms, because they've never been named before until the weather channel decided to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts