Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommendation for wire gauge to use for a linear actuator that draws 2-3 AMPS? This is for a remote spout control on a snow blower. I would prefer stranded wire that fits comfortably into readily available weather proof connectors.

I'm thinking of using (2) 2-conductor cables in a vinyl sheath... one for the battery to the switch and a second from the switch to the actuator.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
16 gauge is good for 5 Amps up to 50 ft. in a DC circuit. I tend to default to 14 gauge but...

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
For your application, 18 ga would probably work for short-duty cycle, but I'd do at least 16 ga as Jim suggested.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
What is the recommendation for wire gauge to use for a linear actuator that draws 2-3 AMPS? This is for a remote spout control on a snow blower. I would prefer stranded wire that fits comfortably into readily available weather proof connectors.

I'm thinking of using (2) 2-conductor cables in a vinyl sheath... one for the battery to the switch and a second from the switch to the actuator.
I think I used 18 or 20 gauge wire (probably 18) for my 4" actuator for my spout deflector control? A little overboard will not hurt at all. Some of those kits they sell use 24 gauge! I used whatever Firgelli Automation suggested back a few years ago. The wires that come from those are very small. I bought the weather rated fuse holder/fuse, the momentary DPDT switch, wire and 150 pound actuator from Firgelli. In fact I bought two,, you know me J...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I always do wiring and fuses based on the load and distance.

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Administrator
20,876 Posts
I would go with jacketed 14 or 16.

Look at marine cable:

Or duplex brake cable:

We use the brake cable and sealed Deutsch connectors in the diverter kits, it really holds up well.

Reactions: stevenk and jgayman

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'd use 16 ga.. 2 wire for underground lighting. It has a particularly tough jacket on it and is stranded wire, something that you want because stranded won't break as easily as solid wire will due to the vibration. And as has been suggested, fuse the circuit.

Reactions: jgayman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts