Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure where to post this. Maybe gear grinders as it ground my gears.

The other day whilst installing the snow blower, I kept scratching and cutting myself on the jagged ends of the wire ties, aka tie wraps, aka zip ties, used to bundle the hydraulic hoses. Whoever put those on, probably the dealer that installed it, left about 1/16" to 3/16" sticking out when cutting them off. Enough of that. I borrowed SWMBO's flush cutting pliers and fixed this.

And since Murphy is alive and well, those jagged ends will stick out so that they will cause the most possible damage.

I usually use Klein 1003 strippers to cut wire tie ends. I think I'm going to get my own flush cutters to use from now on.

Remember, cut those ends off flush. The blood you save may be your own, or at least that of someone you like. :lol:

·
Registered
23,252 Posts
Whenever I grab some cable ties I grab the side cutters also.

Because of either my malady or the associated medication my skin seems really thin anymore - and I will bleed and bleed. Don’t need any unnecessary sharp ends like that!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Whenever I grab some cable ties I grab the side cutters also.

Because of either my malady or the associated medication my skin seems really thin anymore - and I will bleed and bleed. Don’t need any unnecessary sharp ends like that!

It’s a natural aging process Stan, no offense. It could be exacerbated by medical conditions or medications but it’s medical fact that skin looses elasticity and gets thinner as we age.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did electrical work all my life and the only way I found to completely get them close enough to the tab to not cut you is to bend the long piece slightly as you cut it off even with a sharp knife. Cut across from one edge to the other. Bending the the ty-wrap slightly makes it easier to cut.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
I have been "bit" many times by those sharp nubs left by others. None of my side cutters will get close enough. I use a pair of Xcelite 170M close-cutting side nippers that I also use for electronics work. They are very sharp and very precise.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
The key is to twist the end off, then it will not end up sharp. It's an old Electricians trick. Twist it with Kleins (or regular pliers), until it breaks off, don't cut it off.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
The key is to twist the end off, then it will not end up sharp. It's an old Electricians trick. Twist it with Kleins (or regular pliers), until it breaks off, don't cut it off.
I never tried that. It sounds like a slow process though. It might work when dealing with just a few wire ties but when you are using a lot of ties on long cable bundles cutting is much faster.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I never tried that. It sounds like a slow process though. It might work when dealing with just a few wire ties but when you are using a lot of ties on long cable bundles cutting is much faster.
Not really if you use the lineman's. I've seen some try using needle nose pliers and that doesn't work as well. But with lineman it really only takes a quick twist of the wrist if you make sure to snub the nose up close.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You're right, it is slightly slower. But this is one of those things where the next guy that sticks his arms/hands in there, and gets all sliced up, is gonna be [email protected]'n you. It's a courtesy thing when there are others involved, like in a construction environment. And to the guy doing things at home, he'll be much happier too, when he runs his arm across a smooth edge.
Sometimes you gotta think about the next guy.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thomas and Betts, (and others I'm sure) do make a tywrap tool just for this purpose, but I found it being a little slower than just using the lineman pliers.
That's all you need, is a pair of my pliers ;)
They are a handy tool for sure.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
You're right, it is slightly slower. But this is one of those things where the next guy that sticks his arms/hands in there, and gets all sliced up, is gonna be [email protected]'n you. It's a courtesy thing when there are others involved, like in a construction environment. And to the guy doing things at home, he'll be much happier too, when he runs his arm across a smooth edge.
Sometimes you gotta think about the next guy.
Agree - that's why I use the Xcelite flush cutters. No protrusions.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Thomas and Betts, (and others I'm sure) do make a tywrap tool just for this purpose, but I found it being a little slower than just using the lineman pliers.
While these tools are sometimes slow and cumbersome, in addition to cutting the end off flush they also can be set to properly tighten the ties. I'd be willing to bet that 80% of folks over tighten wire ties. This can lead to premature failure. While not the end of the world on your snowblower hose, it can be a real issue when the ties are up a 100 foot tower. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the flag won't get in the way I just don't cut them any more.

Will have to try the twist off or flush cutters.

Had a friend in the cabling business told me they had to use some kind of OSHA approved flush cutters that actually reached in and cut them below the head. I think he said they were paying over $100 a pair and his guys were losing them. (stealing more likely)

Reactions: Robnik

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Reactions: PJR832 and Robnik

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Pet peeve of mine. You will not find a zip tie that’s installed here that hasn’t been flush cut. I have a couple of pairs of flush cutters for just that purpose and that purpose only. Let me catch you cutting something else with those! :lol:

Yeah, very annoying to have those razor sharp ends cut you up.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I used to do all kinds of 12V electrical work. There is no substitute for flush cutters.
The linesmans pliers is a good idea, if it works as well, but I have run into a few where a straight on twist wasnt possible under a dash or in an engine compartment, or other tight space.
Ive owned the same pair of Snap-On flush cutters for about 20 years. They still work like new, because they only get used on zip ties.
I bought them VERY early on because I get cut up enough on other things, no reason to add to it. Generally, Im the next guy anyway.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts